• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
That's his problem, he could be very beneficial for ARU - in the right role.

If only he put his ego aside. Attack consultant, Technical advisor, DOR, etc..

A head coach Eddie is not... he's a straight up dictator, lacks empathy & creates negative energy-sapping environments where staff and players are constantly on edge and uncomfortable - does that at all sound like suitable characteristics for a head coach in 2023? Perhaps in 1973 it was.

Head coaches are supposed to develop vibrant constructive positive environments where players can grow and thrive, risk failure & be met with encouragement - as opposed to being humiliated. An environment that has the players and staff looking forward to coming into work, not dread!
You make an extraordinary amount of assumptions based on absolutely nothing

But sure, a few more group hugs are all that is needed to get the Bledisloe back

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So if we came from a lofty position what happened to get us to where we are now?
A whole bunch of shit. Your supposition that 'foreigners have ruined Aussie rugby' doesn't really reflect the data. We've had two kiwi coaches and I think one kiwi administrator in the last 22 years.

Think we need to be a little more introspective.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
We were world leader in the 90s, only half of which was even professional. Since then a wide variety of Australians have also 'failed'.
To be fair, all the Aussie super rugby titles have come from Australian coaches, and Coleman needed to come in to the Tahs setup to fix the mess Gibson and Penny created

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A whole bunch of shit. Your supposition that 'foreigners have ruined Aussie rugby' doesn't really reflect the data. We've had two kiwi coaches and I think one kiwi administrator in the last 22 years.

Think we need to be a little more introspective.
Also - I'd argue that only Rennie 'failed' and then it wasn't outright failure given the context. Raelene did plenty of good stuff and was hounded out by a pathetic old boy circle jerk.

Deans did fine and has a respectable win record. People may think he should have done better but you are really stretching the definition of 'failure' to suggest he was one.

Rodha I have blocked you so you can save whatever rant this comment triggered.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I assume your link is the Nick thread on The Roar talking about what could go wrong with Eddie. (link doesn't work). He points to an area of Eddie that I dislike and that is he is too conservative in some areas and prefers to stick with those that are not performing particularly in the scrum where his preference is for props who do the other stuff better. Shades of his 'just get the scrum over with quickly' era..
He will be great for this world cup and most probably the year after but then RA will need another plot to take us to the 27 world cup.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I assume your link is the Nick thread on The Roar talking about what could go wrong with Eddie. (link doesn't work). He points to an area of Eddie that I dislike and that is he is too conservative in some areas and prefers to stick with those that are not performing particularly in the scrum where his preference is for props who do the other stuff better. Shades of his 'just get the scrum over with quickly' era..
He will be great for this world cup and most probably the year after but then Rugby Australia will need another plot to take us to the 27 world cup.

I think it was the link regarding the interview with Steve Anderson and his views on the Australian Rugby Landscape

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Some of the strong, borderline offensive takes on these ex-coaches personalities is quite bizarre really.
Especially since most of it is based on the small access afforded by the media. Very few people would have close contact and working relationship with all of them.

Reactions: TSR

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Especially since most of it is based on the small access afforded by the media.

I heard this one from planetrugby:

Brendan Cannon, a great servant of Australian rugby, discovered his international career was over via a 3am phone call from Jones in which Eddie screamed obscenities at him for several minutes and then hung up.

I felt bad for laughing, it's just that imagery of Jones ranting down the phone line in my head, just the sheer incredulity of the situation lol...

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Apologies for leading the thread down that path.

I have deleted those posts.

Let's move on and see if we can keep discussions to at least this decade.
Exactly. Everyone on here loves to throw in their 2cents but gees there is some waffle.
Bring on the first trial as The Ghost of Raelene said.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
So to change the topic, lets see everyone's Test Match 23 for the RWC. Couple of gaps cause we have traffic in those spots I would like to see what develops over Super Rugby.

1. Bell
3. 7 A's
4. Philp
6. Valentini
7. Gamble
8. Harry Wilson
9. McDermott
10 Lolesio
11. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Naw????)
13. Ikatau
14. Korebete
15. Campbell

17 Slipper
18 Tupou ( ???)
19 Liam Wright
20 Frost
21 Lonergan
23 Kellaway

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
So to change the topic, lets see everyone's Test Match 23 for the RWC. Couple of gaps cause we have traffic in those spots I would like to see what develops over Super Rugby.

1. Bell
3. 7 A's
4. Philp
6. Valentini
7. Gamble
8. Harry Wilson
9. McDermott
10 Lolesio
11. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) (Naw????)
13. Ikatau
14. Korebete
15. Campbell

17 Slipper
18 Tupou ( ???)
19 Liam Wright
20 Frost
21 Lonergan
23 Kellaway
Kerevi is pretty much the first player picked. Hooper will still be there. Hopefully Quade as well. I think Skelton showed enough to persist with him starting

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

1. Bell
3. 7 A's
4. Philp
6. Valentini
7. Gamble
8. Harry Wilson
9. McDermott
10 Lolesio
11. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) (Naw????)
13. Ikatau
14. Korebete
15. Campbell

17 Slipper
18 Tupou ( ???)
19 Liam Wright
20 Frost
21 Lonergan
23 Kellaway
Is 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) your Captain?

I rate Gamble highly but it will be interesting to see how he goes this year when he won’t be surprising anyone and teams will try and take him out of the game as much as possible. We shouldn’t write off Hooper, the blokes a warrior.

Kerevi if fit which he should be there is the 12.

Not sure Liam Wright even makes the squad currently.