• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gamble barely makes my full-strength Tahs 23. Laughable to suggest he's a fav to start for the Wallabies.

Same goes for Liam Wright to be fair. If Eddie wants a bigger body than Hooper/McReight at 7 he'll probably go to Samu/Wilkin/Gleeson at 7.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi is pretty much the first player picked. Hooper will still be there. Hopefully Quade as well. I think Skelton showed enough to persist with him starting
I thought Skelton was worth persisting with too - but if we only get 3 OS players then my preference would be Cooper, Koroibete & Kerevi. Subject to fitness of course.

We have better cover for Skelton than the other 3.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So to change the topic, lets see everyone's Test Match 23 for the RWC. Couple of gaps cause we have traffic in those spots I would like to see what develops over Super Rugby.

1. Bell
3. 7 A's
4. Philp
6. Valentini
7. Gamble
8. Harry Wilson
9. McDermott
10 Lolesio
11. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) (Naw????)
13. Ikatau
14. Korebete
15. Campbell

17 Slipper
18 Tupou ( ???)
19 Liam Wright
20 Frost
21 Lonergan
23 Kellaway

I think, at this stage (if fit)

The 4 props are solid, (Bell, 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa), Tupou & Slipper)
Hooker is open
Lock is open
Hooper will be openside
Valentini will be at 6 or 8
The other backrower is open
9 White
10 Cooper,
11 open
12 Kerevi
13 Ikatau
14 Korebete
15 open

Lots of open spots IMHO that form can decide

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder whether Cooper can play any club rugby in Brisbane once he's fit?

Presumably he won't play a single game in Japan this season and that would only leave 4 tests before the RWC squad is selected. It would be pretty tricky trying to return a player from an Achilles rupture in the Rugby Championship with absolutely no other rugby before that.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I heard this one from planetrugby:

Brendan Cannon, a great servant of Australian rugby, discovered his international career was over via a 3am phone call from Jones in which Eddie screamed obscenities at him for several minutes and then hung up.

I felt bad for laughing, it's just that imagery of Jones ranting down the phone line in my head, just the sheer incredulity of the situation lol...

that's an interesting one because Canno's last test was v Italy on the end of season 2006 tour (v Italy). When John Connolly was coach.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
that's an interesting one because Canno's last test was v Italy on the end of season 2006 tour (v Italy). When John Connolly was coach.
Could still be true, as Eddie was the coach and hadn't been sacked yet assuming it was 2005?

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)

Presumably he won't play a single game in Japan this season and that would only leave 4 tests before the RWC squad is selected. It would be pretty tricky trying to return a player from an Achilles rupture in the Rugby Championship with absolutely no other rugby before that.
goes for Tupou as well

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I believe Matt Philip is out for the season - reckon I saw it posted on the Rebels site recently. Unfortunate, would otherwise be well in the mix. I think also that Tupou is more likely to not make the recovery needed before Cup time. If Quade's selection is dependent on him playing club rugby, then again unfortunately the injury might win.

Can't see Liam Wright in the side, barring a few injuries. At this stage he is probably battling to make the Reds first XV. Too many other options playing better for the backrow.

I know EJ (Eddie Jones) is hinting at changes to the current side, but Charlie Gamble would be long odds to replace Michael Hooper. Has to do so at the Tahs in the first place.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)

Reading (too much?) between the lines on a recent instagram story, it sounded like Quade is pretty optimistic about getting some game time in Japan. It'd be a minor miracle, but he's almost back running, so maybe it's not entirely out of the question.

Reactions: dru

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I thought Skelton was worth persisting with too - but if we only get 3 OS players then my preference would be Cooper, Koroibete & Kerevi. Subject to fitness of course.

We have better cover for Skelton than the other 3.
If any of the OS players sign for an Australian side in 2024 does that make them cease to be an OS selection?

Eddie has mentioned bringing talent home so some of the OS brigade returning home could change who the 3 we select are.....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The last round of Super Rugby before finals is 3 June. The last round of the Top League before finals is 22 April.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If any of the OS players sign for an Australian side in 2024 does that make them cease to be an OS selection?

Eddie has mentioned bringing talent home so some of the OS brigade returning home could change who the 3 we select are.....
Yes. And you would think there is some chance of that happening. I believe Kerevi at least has expressed a desire to return.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)

I would have thought that 2024 being after the RWC plenty of players would be looking to europe and japan for big cash roles rather than returning to super rugby.

If Eddie gets many back then I would expect the next level players would be jetting off. Players about 24 to 27 years old who have a good super rugby resume but havent cracked big wallaby involvement ie Liam Wright.
Blokes like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) saw the righting on the wall and got in early IMHO.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - but guys who are leaving next year are still eligible. So it wouldn’t impact the Giteau law picks.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah - but guys who are leaving next year are still eligible. So it wouldn’t impact the Giteau law picks.
Also heavily suspect one of the five top players OS will sign for an Aus team for 2024, allowing them to be picked without the Giteau clause.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Funny you say that - Taniela is down at Brothers currently doing some of his rehab gym work.

There have already been high level discussions that his return to the field will likely come via clubland.
If anyone can fire up Taniela to play to his potential it’s Eddy.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I heard this one from planetrugby:

Brendan Cannon, a great servant of Australian rugby, discovered his international career was over via a 3am phone call from Jones in which Eddie screamed obscenities at him for several minutes and then hung up.

I felt bad for laughing, it's just that imagery of Jones ranting down the phone line in my head, just the sheer incredulity of the situation lol...
I have only heard that he is a prick of a human but if he gets us to the final he can phone me at 3am and screams FFFFF's at me as long as he likes.