• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I believe Matt Philip is out for the season - reckon I saw it posted on the Rebels site recently. Unfortunate, would otherwise be well in the mix. I think also that Tupou is more likely to not make the recovery needed before Cup time. If Quade's selection is dependent on him playing club rugby, then again unfortunately the injury might win.

Can't see Liam Wright in the side, barring a few injuries. At this stage he is probably battling to make the Reds first XV. Too many other options playing better for the backrow.

I know EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) is hinting at changes to the current side, but Charlie Gamble would be long odds to replace Michael Hooper. Has to do so at the Tahs in the first place.

That's a shame about Matt Philip if that's the case.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No, Nuci is the week after next, after Link gets a turn.

giphy.gif

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Also heavily suspect one of the five top players OS will sign for an Aus team for 2024, allowing them to be picked without the Giteau clause.
It could only be Kerevi though right?

Skelton just re-signed with La Rochelle through to 2025, Cooper is old so won't (shouldn't...) be getting RA money, and Koroibete has another 1 or 2 years on his deal in Japan.

Reading the tea leaves I'd say Hooper is done after the WC so that frees up some cash going forward.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
HAHA I'm going with a free for all for selection. Eddie in his interview clearly wants everyone available - putting it forward if NOT selecting someone makes it harder to win the WC, then its a bad call - Wallabies need to do well for australian rugby to do well - for popularity, money etc. All filters down.

SO

1. Bell 2. Amosa 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Arnold
6. Swinton 8. Valetini 7. Hoops
9. Mcdermott 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 14. Marky 15. Kellaway
16. Latu 17. Slipper 18. Tupou 19. Skelton 20. Samu 21. White 22. Hodge 23. Petaia

24. Porecki/Lonergan 25. Sio 26. Frost 27. Holloway 28. Wilson 29. Mcreight 30. Gordon 31. Foley 32. Foketi 33. Wright

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
HAHA I'm going with a free for all for selection. Eddie in his interview clearly wants everyone available - putting it forward if NOT selecting someone makes it harder to win the WC, then its a bad call - Wallabies need to do well for australian rugby to do well - for popularity, money etc. All filters down.

SO

1. Bell 2. Amosa 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Arnold
9. Mcdermott 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Ikitau 14. Marky 15. Kellaway
16. Latu 17. Slipper 18. Tupou 19. Skelton 20. Samu 21. White 22. Hodge 23. Petaia

24. Porecki/Lonergan 25. Sio 26. Frost 27. Holloway 28. Wilson 29. Mcreight 30. Gordon 31. Foley 32. Foketi 33. Wright
I thought RA had already confirmed there’d be no change to the OS player law.

in any case if you look at your squad you’ve picked Amosa, Arnold, Skelton, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete, Sio& Foley as OS players.

I don’t mind Sio as an option for depth, but he isn’t in our best 23.

Arnold was great at Super rugby and apparently has been very good in France, but I don’t think he’s been great at test level.

Amosa was good for the Wallabies - but his throwing was patchy like all the others. He isn’t miles in front.

Foley’s best days appear behind him. I’d prefer on of the young guys or hopefully O’Connor comes good.

I don’t think any of these 4 offer something significantly better than who is eligible as a domestic player.

Which leaves 4. Sign Kerevi and there is only 3 and we don’t have a problem.

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought Rugby Australia had already confirmed there’d be no change to the OS player law.

in any case if you look at your squad you’ve picked Amosa, Arnold, Skelton, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete, Sio& Foley as OS players.

I don’t mind Sio as an option for depth, but he isn’t in our best 23.

Arnold was great at Super rugby and apparently has been very good in France, but I don’t think he’s been great at test level.

Amosa was good for the Wallabies - but his throwing was patchy like all the others. He isn’t miles in front.

Foley’s best days appear behind him. I’d prefer on of the young guys or hopefully O’Connor comes good.

I don’t think any of these 4 offer something significantly better than who is eligible as a domestic player.

Which leaves 4. Sign Kerevi and there is only 3 and we don’t have a problem.

I did say I was going free for all. ....

The interview with eddie was emphatic. He said ' everyones available for selection'. Then he went on to say whilst he understands the law, he will be "having a chat' with the bosses to discuss it. It was around that if leaving someone out because of the law means its harder to win the WC, then its a problem, because winning the world cup is THE best thing for Aus rugby. Now I'm sure they'll be hoping the best 33 man squad (or at least the best 23) can be selected with only 3 overseas, but I don't believe it can and I don't think Eddie believes it can.

Now I picked 8 across 33, but could get away with...5. I think they'll do 4 (Skelton, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete)

but lets go with...3..URH

1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Philip
16. Latu 17. Slipper 18. Tupou 19. Frost 20. Samu 21. White 22. Hodge 23. Petaia

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I did say I was going free for all. ....

The interview with eddie was emphatic. He said ' everyones available for selection'. Then he went on to say whilst he understands the law, he will be "having a chat' with the bosses to discuss it. It was around that if leaving someone out because of the law means its harder to win the WC, then its a problem, because winning the world cup is THE best thing for Aus rugby. Now I'm sure they'll be hoping the best 33 man squad (or at least the best 23) can be selected with only 3 overseas, but I don't believe it can and I don't think Eddie believes it can.

Now I picked 8 across 33, but could get away with...5. I think they'll do 4 (Skelton, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete)

but lets go with...3..URH

1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Philip
16. Latu 17. Slipper 18. Tupou 19. Frost 20. Samu 21. White 22. Hodge 23. Petaia
Rodda's reputation seems to improve the less he plays

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yes, I think a lot of fans have a very romantic view based off a couple of tests 4 years ago.

Not to say he isn’t a great player, but I’ve seen him included in far too many ‘best 23s’ for a bloke who hasn’t been available for some time.
He’s missed once season hasn’t he?

He’s been comfortably better than Skelton and Arnold at test level and they’ve had no shortage of people plugging them. Who else - Phillip, Salakai-Loto, Swain, Holloway? He’s been better than any of those guys at test level.

The only guy who I think has arguably been comparable at test level in the last 4 yrs is Frost and that is a small sample size. Personally I still think Rodda has been better. So why wouldn’t people be picking him?

What’s the difference between picking him and including guys like Cooper, Bell or Swinton?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

SO

1. Bell 2. Amosa 3. AAA
4. Rodda 5. Arnold

Good squad and team UTR. Shame we are probably still relying on Cooper and Foley in the No 10 spot. Hopefully SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) will throw up at least one of the emerging 10s to make the squad.

Personally, I'd have Frost in the starting team. I am not a fan of Rodda and he'll have to have a big Super Rugby season to change my mind, but given the similarities between Frost and Arnold, Nick's inclusion would probably be at Rory's expense. Right now, I don't see Tate displacing White in the No 9 jersey, but the Super Rugby season will clarify that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He’s missed once season hasn’t he?

He’s been comfortably better than Skelton and Arnold at test level and they’ve had no shortage of people plugging them. Who else - Phillip, Salakai-Loto, Swain, Holloway? He’s been better than any of those guys at test level.

The only guy who I think has arguably been comparable at test level in the last 4 yrs is Frost and that is a small sample size. Personally I still think Rodda has been better. So why wouldn’t people be picking him?

What’s the difference between picking him and including guys like Cooper, Bell or Swinton?
He hasnt been better than Philip at test level.

Philip is solid and can actually get over the gainline with the ball. He isn't world XV material but he's been our best lock for some time I think.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Rodda has only played around 25 tests over 6 years since he debuted. He's had selection and injury issues during that time in a position that hasn't been our strongest. Compare that to someone like Taniela Tupou who debuted in the same season, he's played nearly twice as many tests.

I think at test level what I've seen from Philip, Frost, Holloway (whom I think Rodda plays more similar to) are easily ahead of him. Swain probably is also but he's a liability.

Re the others in your post:

Cooper - I can see why people are picking him, no one knows who will be fit or good enough to play 10, the coaches haven't a clue and us punters definitely don't. If Donaldson/Edmed/Lolesio come out and absolutely brain it during Super Rugby and people still think Cooper is better, then yes I agree with you.

Bell - has been better than others, in a position where we don't have great depth.

Swinton - I have him in the same box as Rodda, don't see why he would get picked in these dream squads.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
He hasnt been better than Philip at test level.

Philip is solid and can actually get over the gainline with the ball. He isn't world XV material but he's been our best lock for some time I think.
I thought Phillip improved leaps and bounds last Super rugby season. Was very keen to see him in the tests. I thought he and Rodda would be an excellent pairing as they complement each other nicely.

Before that I thought he was an honest, generally hard working player who wasn’t really making an impact at test level. Disagree on him being our best - I think Arnold and Swain (2021) were both better than him as well. Personally I think Rodda was comfortably better - but just my opinion.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Rodda has only played around 25 tests over 6 years since he debuted. He's had selection and injury issues during that time in a position that hasn't been our strongest. Compare that to someone like Taniela Tupou who debuted in the same season, he's played nearly twice as many tests.

I think at test level what I've seen from Philip, Frost, Holloway (whom I think Rodda plays more similar to) are easily ahead of him. Swain probably is also but he's a liability.

Re the others in your post:

Cooper - I can see why people are picking him, no one knows who will be fit or good enough to play 10, the coaches haven't a clue and us punters definitely don't. If Donaldson/Edmed/Lolesio come out and absolutely brain it during Super Rugby and people still think Cooper is better, then yes I agree with you.

Bell - has been better than others, in a position where we don't have great depth.

Swinton - I have him in the same box as Rodda, don't see why he would get picked in these dream squads.
Since his debut was Rodda ever not picked by Cheika or Rennie when he was available? Maybe once or twice early on, but I suspect that would be it.

My point with the other 3 is that they’ve all had similiar injury disruptions but no one is questioning their selection.

But I guess the key point here is our opinions of Rodda’s standing which is clearly different. Happy to agree to disagree. All of the candidates will get their shot this Super Rugby season and we’ll see where they end up.

For what it’s worth (probably not much really) Tony Harper rates Rodda as first pick https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/02/...cup-contender-is-placed-ahead-of-super-rugby/