• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phillip did his ACL late October, I think he's quite unlikely to play a Test this year, same as Tupou unfortunately.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A locking trio (incl. bench of course) of Frost, Rodda and Skelton sounds pretty damn good to me.

I have to say I'm warming to the idea of Frost at 6 too.

I like these selections, but as you note it needs further thought at 6 and for the line out when Skelton is on the field. It completely works, but it does have ramifications for selections in the back row. If one of those is Hooper , and the other Valetini, we have lost all flexibility at 6 - ideally needs to be both a jumper and a caller. Or perhaps just at 19. Either way there is an impact.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Swinton/Hanigan/Holloway/Frost/Tom Hooper would all be suited at 6 if Skelton is at lock. There are plenty of options. It probably only rules out Harry Wilson and Gleeson.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is always an element of having a leap of faith in these assessments Stillmissit. But Rodda & Skelton are both at the time in their careers when they should be peaking and Frost just seems to have that level of class about him. We could conceivable put our best locking combination in the park for 15 odd years.

Still need a 2, 10 & a 15 though (I’m confident one way or another we’ll have someone good at 6).
I'm hoping BPA at 2 or Latu at a pinch. 10 will be very interesting if what Eddie says is correct (assuming Cooper isn't fit). I have my money on the outsider Carter Gordon as I like the way he's starting to take the ball to the line, kicks and defends. Eddie can make all these noises but at the end of the day he's very conservative and ultra-conservative about 10.
15 N.I. - If Eddie gets his way it will be interesting.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swain is possibly the most talented of the lot but he needs to work on the mental side of things a fair bit.
He also needs to stick to the tough stuff and get through the work, as you say he is talented and is going to be a great lock if he listens to advice but doesn't pull his head in but just gets it in the right place.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have my money on the outsider Carter Gordon as I like the way he's starting to take the ball to the line, kicks and defends..
His biggest challenge will be that the Rebels will probably struggle and could be the worst of the Australian teams.

Hard to make it as an absolute bolter in a struggling team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't Giteau originally a Queanbeyan boy?

Indeed...

For the record:

Eagles Life Member and 2022 Head Coach, Glenn Carey, will lead a formidable coaching roster as the Eagles Coaching Director, to provide guidance to all coaches in the rugby program.

The Gungahlin Eagles President, Eoghan O’Byrne, alongside Carey, is delighted to announce the addition of two Brumbies premiership winning players Lachlan McCaffrey and Matt Giteau to the Eagles coaching ranks.

Locky McCaffrey will take the duties of 1st Grade Head Coach and Eagles Academy Coach in 2023. The academy was established in 2020 to enable a smooth transition out of school and into senior rugby and is where Locky will work with aspiring young players to hone their craft and progress their careers.

Matt Giteau will wear multiple hats as the Eagles High-Performance Coach and Skills Coach in 2023. In these roles, Giteau will add world-class experience to the club’s training program and pathway development.

Giteau will work with the Eagles Seniors Players and also give attention to pathways and developing young players into lifelong clubmen and women.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like these selections, but as you note it needs further thought at 6 and for the line out when Skelton is on the field. It completely works, but it does have ramifications for selections in the back row. If one of those is Hooper , and the other Valetini, we have lost all flexibility at 6 - ideally needs to be both a jumper and a caller. Or perhaps just at 19. Either way there is an impact.
It does - but on the flip side without Skelton our pack lacks punch. Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Porecki, Fainga’a, Rodda, Neville, Swain - none of them are big ball runners. Frost & Holloway are okay. Phillips is a strong carrier, but unlikely to feature. Hooper, Samu & Lonergan are good in the wide channels. Without a Skelton, Tupou, Bell or Fa’amausili teams have been able to heavily mark Valetini and reduce his impact. Throw a couple of these guys back into the mix and our pack is a different proposition.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Latu but if he can find his 2019 form he ticks a lot of boxes that we lack - his a strong ball carrier, strong scrummager and very good over the ball which is something we really lack.

Maybe we could get the wingers throwing lineouts again?

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dru, I don't think the selections are going to be an easy run, although we have depth in some areas, it is as much about balance and team focus.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Eddie Jones has started a weekly podcast with David Pembroke, his adviser(?) and best bud(????), called "EDDIE". Good on him, really giving it his all.

EDIT: first 15 minutes bit generic, same stuff he's being saying for the past month. But last half is great, he does an analysis of the up coming 6 nations.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Swinton/Hanigan/Holloway/Frost/Tom Hooper would all be suited at 6 if Skelton is at lock. There are plenty of options. It probably only rules out Harry Wilson and Gleeson.

Of those you list, are the following recognised callers? Swinton, Frost, Hooper?

I like Hanigan and Holloway in that role, thought it worked fine last year. I would think that Rodda could be considered as well. TBH it is only a restriction at 6 if Skelton starts. Otherwise you could buddy him up 19/20 with a caller and jumper.
It does - but on the flip side without Skelton our pack lacks punch. Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Porecki, Fainga’a, Rodda, Neville, Swain - none of them are big ball runners. Frost & Holloway are okay. Phillips is a strong carrier, but unlikely to feature. Hooper, Samu & Lonergan are good in the wide channels. Without a Skelton, Tupou, Bell or Fa’amausili teams have been able to heavily mark Valetini and reduce his impact. Throw a couple of these guys back into the mix and our pack is a different proposition.

I’ve never been a huge fan of Latu but if he can find his 2019 form he ticks a lot of boxes that we lack - his a strong ball carrier, strong scrummager and very good over the ball which is something we really lack.

Maybe we could get the wingers throwing lineouts again?

Completely agree, I have Skelton higher up the priority list under the Gitau law than many. A winger throwing is one thing, calling it is another.

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would assume Rodda will call at the Force if he’s going to be the 80 min lock.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rodda is a caller and was doing it before his injury.

If there is a focus on a lineout specific lock/6 it helps Luke Jones's case as a bolter - it's an absolute speciality of his. Time will tell if he's calling at the Reds, but I'm pretty sure Scott-Young was previously so there should be a bit of an opening for him.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rodda is a caller and was doing it before his injury.

If there is a focus on a lineout specific lock/6 it helps Luke Jones's case as a bolter - it's an absolute speciality of his. Time will tell if he's calling at the Reds, but I'm pretty sure Scott-Young was previously so there should be a bit of an opening for him.

Blyth does also and was during Japan tour, reckon he will be the primary lineout caller

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Blyth does also and was during Japan tour, reckon he will be the primary lineout caller
It'll be interesting to see the balance there, because on the face of it Blyth is probably the one Jones is most likely to push out of the starting 15. Certainly then makes sense for them to be the 2 main callers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
While to some extent the arrival of Eddie Jones provides a blank slate for players who have been down the pecking order to jump into the RWC squad or matchday 23, I think Jones will know he has to lean heavily on experience and incumbency.

The RWC provides a rare opportunity to prepare a string of test matches for longer than you get at any other point in the four year cycle but likewise he will know that if he tries to start from scratch he will be putting himself at a huge disadvantage to our competitors.

Who knows what will happen but I'll be incredibly surprised if we see more than one or two debutants this year and more than a few players featuring in the best 23 who haven't been at least semi-regulars over the last couple of years.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
While to some extent the arrival of Eddie Jones provides a blank slate for players who have been down the pecking order to jump into the RWC squad or matchday 23, I think Jones will know he has to lean heavily on experience and incumbency.

The RWC provides a rare opportunity to prepare a string of test matches for longer than you get at any other point in the four year cycle but likewise he will know that if he tries to start from scratch he will be putting himself at a huge disadvantage to our competitors.

Who knows what will happen but I'll be incredibly surprised if we see more than one or two debutants this year and more than a few players featuring in the best 23 who haven't been at least semi-regulars over the last couple of years.
I agree and I tend to think that there wont actually be too many changes to the teams we saw towards the end of last year.

I would have to assume given the time Eddie has that he will go for existing (provincial) combinations (especially at 9/10) with a largely simple game plan. I cant see how he can be expected to drastically change the team or game plan, tweaks sure, but not an overhaul.

But I am someone who thinks Rennie had the team in a good place.