• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Except it wasn't in place just for the RWC, it's in place all the time...

Hypothetically … if I’m rugby Australia and I want to protect wallabies going offshore for big money you maintain the 3 maximum giteau law players for World Cup but you expand those giteau law players maximum allocation for the TRC just before the World Cup.

Use TRC as the preseason. Trial combination of players who are based overseas and see how they integrate with the wallabies super rugby players but come World Cup squad selection night. You pick 3 and no more.

I think this TRC we did have 4 names (Cooper, Korobiete, Arnold and Skelton) glad we only taking the 3.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Selecting Donaldson and Vunivalu is, based on all the information us ignorant peasants are privy to, inexplicable. Has Skelton ever captained a side in his life?

Geez.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
At the end of the day, based on the players people thought would be in the squad, most people seemed to think the absolute best we could do was get to a semi. Some didn’t think we’d get out of our pool. So I’m not sure there is an argument that Jone’s has left out a bunch of star performers. Sad for Cooper and Hooper - but Sport can be cruel and both of them got their share of highs (and there is still a chance they could end up there with an injury or two)

Bennett used to say (probably still does) if you have to make a choice between two players, pick the younger one every time. Clearly a team for the future - but it seems to me also with the attitude they won’t do worse.

And Jones actually has put a lot on the line here. If he’d stuck mainly to the status quo and they bombed out most people would give him the benefit of the doubt. Now he has a lot more to lose.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surely debrecini would have been a better fit for a 10/15 utility role
10/12/15 cover and best form after Carter in Sup23. Age might have been against him, but any suggestion Donaldson will be the top ranked 10 for the Lions and RWC 27 is plain nonsense right now.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
20230810_195258.jpg

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
This should never be a reason to pick someone imo. Cooper was meant to be there as a calm veteran, but it was his schoolboy error that cost them in the end

I’d honestly run with Donaldson, yeah he struggled this year but the Tahs were a cluster bleep all round and DC couldn’t figure out who his spine was all season
Exactly, cut him now, give someone else a chance at the WC … what do we have to lose honestly?

At least this way you’re giving someone else the experience of a WC campaign.. that’s the way the ABs blood new players.
Guess I was right ….

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will be interesting to see which outside back gets the nod as first backup behind Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)/Marika/Kellaway

Last edited:

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Honestly the no back up 10 seems crazy...i actually wouldnt feel as pessimistic if hodge was chosen in place of donaldson. Hodge at least has some track record for taking the reigns at test level and playing well... but donaldson?! Am i to understand that donaldson will be on the bench in every big game of the world cup (despite getting fuck all minutes in the RC)?! Am i to understand that if gordan does down with an injury 20 minutes into a close qtr final, donaldson is going to stear the team to victory?! Based on what?! Noah, JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Foley would have all been better choices

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Shitting over it how? By not picking out of form, over the hill players?

Who are these world class players Eddie is leaving at home
As opposed to the young, proven world-class players he's selected? Some of these guys are hardly proven Super Rugby players.

But Pete Samu is the first name that comes to mind.