• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Why are you so worked up about it anyway. Aren't you a kiwi?
I actually don't care that much about who EJ (Eddie Jones) picks. As I said originally, it's his team, it's his right to select whoever he wants.

Just don't tell me how the new players have 'earned it' or any other BS. Wallaby fans here know that some of the guys selected weren't even good at Super Rugby level.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I like Skelton as captain. We have a great heritage of locks captaining us. Hooper looked whiney, McDermott is a scrum half, who the fuck is going to tell Skelton off. He’s a man giant who’ll always be composed. Hopefully it helps mitigate his red card for when he inevitably shoulder charges someone.

shame he’s playing overseas forever.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also absolutely bonkers that we were discussing a few months ago would Carter even be selected, maybe good to get some
Bench minutes for the future. Then fuck it, here he is, only fly half chosen with no one to learn off.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I think the backup 10 is likely to be Kellaway. Played there at school and seems like someone who could cover that position well. Read an article few months ago which said that Jorgensen could make the switch to 10 later on - maybe he plays there but tbh that sounds like a horrible idea for someone so young.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
This side shows a couple of things
Eddie does not have a fnn clue what his side and squad is
You need experience around to help youth,

he has had guys training all the time like longeran but then gets dropped? And Cooper and hooper playing in front of Gleeson and Donaldson but the later get picked?
Suli and Donaldson selections are a complete joke - even these players would have to know
The experience that’s left behind - when carter gorden gets found out at RWC like he did in bledislode and they have no one to turn to like Quade - and he becomes the next production like?
when hooper and ikatau are injured so injured players don’t go but injured players do like tupou ?

Eddie jones talks so much BS saying we will win RWC, despite a 4 and 0 record with 2 floggings
Seems like he is looking at 2025 and 2025 which he won’t be there to see

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I actually don't care that much about who EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) picks. As I said originally, it's his team, it's his right to select whoever he wants.

Just don't tell me how the new players have 'earned it' or any other BS. Wallaby fans here know that some of the guys selected weren't even good at Super Rugby level.
One Player, Donaldson, didn't have a great season. He also made his test debut under Dave Rennie so I thought you'd like him

Time will tell if Eddie has got it right or wrong, but to assert that a maniacal competitor like him would not be trying to win the World Cup is ludicrous

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I've got to say I was reflecting a little on the Wales squad whilst seeing the confirmation of selections for the Wallabies RWC contingent. Whilst I'll be curious how they (Wales) go against England this weekend with more of their first choice players, it was still impressive to see how quickly Gatland has been able to fuse a relatively new squad into a coherent whole.

What was also rather obvious in that game was the passion and drive the new faces brought. Whilst experience can be a great thing, I do sometimes wonder at the hunger of youth over that of a been there, seen that veteran.

Anyway, at the end of the day I guess Eddie wasn't brought in to do more of the same. Can't say I understand all the permutations, but it's an interesting squad.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd personally have Sio, Talakai, Neville, Samu, Kerr-Barlow, Foley, Wright over the likes of Schoupp, Nonggorr, Arnold, Kemeny, IFL/White, Donaldson and Suli

Also if they were available: BPA, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Tom Robertson, Rodda

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Does Skelton being captain infer that he’s penned in for 80 minutes?
So far his captains have been Slipper, Hooper, Ala'alatoa & McDermott. Only one of those was ever going to play 80 minutes so I don’t think it’s a real factor. Interestingly thought with Skelton & McDermott C & VC it’s likely neither will be on at the end.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think the value of the "experience" and "mentoring" qualities associated with 30-somethings that have played >60 tests yet have barely participated in the winning of a meat tray is vastly overstated/overrated. What sort of mentoring or coaching is Cooper expected to provide Gordon exactly and when are people thinking he'll be providing it? Over dinner when they're all scrolling through instagram? When theyre in the gym and have the airpods in? Do people think Quade and Gordon will be sitting in a dark room after practice doing additional game film study and sharing 5/8 secrets? Is he expected to have some invaluable wisdom about how to get over the mental hump and perform with precision every time you step on the turf?