• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let’s look at England. They also have three tried and tested test 10s. I am sure all of the teams in the top two tiers do. There is no point me or anyone else banging on about it.
I suspect that EJs expects to have Cooper, Ikitau and maybe Hooper join the squad at some point between now and the quarters.
I suspect you are right, could be a mind game to wind Cooper up to get a decent performance out of him.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
OK now that the squad is announced and you all had a good laugh at the time - How far out was the guy I spoke to? Markymark to 13..Not bad for someone you all thought was bullshit.
I think it is OK to tell you who it was now - Bob Dwyer...
People were only laughing at the Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) to 13 comments. Sir Clive Woodward has suggested many a ludicrous suggestion over the past 10yrs as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
People were only laughing at the Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) to 13 comments. Sir Clive Woodward has suggested many a ludicrous suggestion over the past 10yrs as well.
Nawaqanitawase has only recently learned how to defend on the wing. 13 is (or used to be) the most difficult backline defensive position.

Not just yet, thanks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I just don't buy this concept of it being better not having players who have been around a long time because they're used to losing or something. There's zero evidence that players who have been inferior players below test level are going to do better at test level because they haven't been part of previous losing teams.

Opting for youth is fine. I don't think we're close to winning this world cup regardless. Therefore it does make sense to build for the future. We are putting a lot of responsibility on certain players to really lead this team and squad though.
BH who are the experienced heads who have been replaced by others who are inferior players at Super level?

Michael Hooper is replaced by Fraser McReight and I think that would have happened even had Hooper not been injured. Fraser has been the superior player this year and last at Super level, so that doesn't fit the description. I'd even rate Brad Wilkin as being in better form than Hooper this last Super season, but he isn't even in the squad.

Quade Cooper, Bernard Foley and James O'Connor have been replaced by Carter Gordon. Gordon similarly has been the best No 10 in Super Rugby Au this year and isn't the inferior player you might be referring to. I do think Eddie has made a big mistake in not taking one of the older, experienced players as backup, but that is another question.

Any others? Jed Holloway I think doesn't yet meet the criterion of being an older, experienced player, and I think he will be missed in our rolling maul situations, but that is also another question. Maybe Folau Fianga'a? I just can't put my finger of the players you are referring to.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One of my problems (lineout) with Gleeson in 6 or 8 and don't think he's a 7.
I think Gleeson is purely an 8 and will play in one or two of the minor pool games. But he won't displace Rob Valetini in the first XXiii, and probably won't get a bench spot in front of Rob Leota who can cover more spots in the forwards. Gleeson's inclusion is a good thing.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
It's fair point about commitments outside rugby but are there really that many?

He has the most French experience out of the whole squad, it'll come useful in terms of the touring. Now his ability to speak French could also work wonders forming a rapport with any French referees thrown our way.
The ability of the French referees to speak English is really coming on.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If that’s the case, I wouldn’t want him anywhere near Carter Gordon

Wait, but I thought 90% of the posters here were advocating for him as being such a great mentor?

When I pointed out that he’s very good at managing his ‘brand’ and may not have fully turned a corner I was quickly shot down.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
As Rugby Reg has pointed out in another thread - Berrick Barnes is probably the RWC role model for Carter Gordon game…

Carter already has that X factor that Quade provides, the little flick passes, cut out passes and def kicks.

What Berrick will provide is the high percentage plays and game management intricacies. Berrick never going to teach Carter to throw it behind his back or chip kick from his own goal line…

Quade is a high risk/high reward player… can’t have high risk plays in the test arena.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don’t think they have refused to, everyone is just suggesting they probably won’t. It sounds as though Cooper may have thrown the baby out about being one of the ‘extras’ though. Hooper is still injured but if fit will more likely be tested in the warm up v France.
I think that would be wrong KOB. The game against France is the last chance to get the selected team on the field and bed down systems and combinations. None of the "injured" players should be part of that but should come back in the Aus A games that have been scheduled in order to have them in a position to join the main squad if there are any injuries requiring replacement.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Eddie jones please change your name on the forum
You are just a Quade and hooper hater
Can you point me in the right direction to where our bledislode cup and rugby champs trophies are Eddie said we were going to win?
why our ranking has gone down?
eddie said we will win the World Cup so if we don’t any other result is a complete failure
If you say we will win back it up
Nz, SA, France and Ireland don’t come out with this arrogant statement as they know they might not win
Arrogance and confidence are very different things
Don’t lie to the public, everyone and yourself when you say we will win as there is a chance we won’t

What's a bledislode?

Reactions: dru

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Everyone has said most of what I have to say, but have my two bob's worth anyway. Hope I'm wrong, but for mine Lonergan in for Uelese, Neville for Arnold, Hooper for Leota, Lonergan for IFL, Cooper for Donaldson, Wright for Suli and Hodge for Jorgensen and I am fine with it ;)
Skelton as captain ????
It all looks absolutely crazy, Eddie is either an eccentric genius or a slightly unhinged egomaniac.
Sadly, given the state he left the Wallabies in last time, along with Queensland and England as he left, and starting with a nil and four record, I have a nasty feeling which it is.
I am first to admit Dave Rennie looked bogged, not going backwards but not forward either, but if that was the question, I doubt very much EJ (Eddie Jones) was the answer.
I will never-the-less be enthusiastically supporting the Wallabies through the WC, and hope I prove to be totally wrong.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The reason these other teams have depth at 10 is because they developed their young guys through the tough moments. Every single one of them had struggles at test level to begin with, but their coaches stick by them and developed them into class players

Us on the other hand used a young guy like Lolesio as a yo-yo in and out of the squad, taking all his confidence away and then hoping a trio of and old James O’Conner, old Quade Cooper and Old Bernard Foley would save us
This is so very true. My question is why is it so when we've had NZers and Aussies as head coach but the same issues arise.

As much as I think the coaches and administrators should be deaf to the criticisms in the press and by fans on social media, I wonder if they are influenced by the parochial attitudes and constant criticisms based on which Super rugby team a player represents. I have no doubt that Noah would have had an easier ride if he represented either the Reds or Waratahs and had the press in one of those cities on his side. It will be interesting perhaps if Carter Gordon has a below par showing just how loud the calls will be from Sydney and Brisbane press (in particular) for his sacking.

Maybe I'm right off track, but the parochial attitudes certainly do come to the fore in rugby in this country.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that would be wrong KOB. The game against France is the last chance to get the selected team on the field and bed down systems and combinations. None of the "injured" players should be part of that but should come back in the Aus A games that have been scheduled in order to have them in a position to join the main squad if there are any injuries requiring replacement.
That is if you subscribe to the theory that this is the final 33. Which doesn’t need to be settled on until the day after the France game. Eddie said as much in the interview with Turinui that Michael might be ready for that game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That is if you subscribe to the theory that this is the final 33. Which doesn’t need to be settled on until the day after the France game. Eddie said as much in the interview with Turinui that Michael might be ready for that game.
I still want a good explanation why all the countries are naming their squads now and not in 2 weeks.

and I don't care for the theory that it's to give Top 14 clubs joker deals to the ones that missed out.

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
I wonder if they are influenced by the parochial attitudes and constant criticisms based on which Super rugby team a player represents. I have no doubt that Noah would have had an easier ride if he represented either the Reds or Waratahs and had the press in one of those cities on his side. It will be interesting perhaps if Carter Gordon has a below par showing just how loud the calls will be from Sydney and Brisbane press (in particular) for his sacking
I disagree in regard to 10's. NSW and Qld didn't exactly have outstanding 10's showing they should be picked for RWC. Of 10's playing Super Rugby in Australia Gordon stood out, and I would say Noah was next due to his experience. JOC (James O'Connor) can cover it but not 1st choice, Tom Lynagh is too new, Tahs couldn't really decide who to start and neither Donaldson or Edmed stood out.

Maybe if the Super Rugby teams collectively worked with the WBs coach to develop players in the 10 role then we might see more prospects coming through. Overall it has tended to be a position that lacks depth in Australia - usually one definite pick and not much behind them.

Maybe RA needs to set up a flyhalf school to bring together promising players at different stages and age groups and have them work with experienced 10's who understand the intricacies of the role to help develop the skills and decision making needed. Then funnel this down to regional level to keep working with the prospects.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’ll add a guess to all the others. It’s not hard to imagine Quade’s “zen” almost, but not quite, entirely hitting the wrong notes for EJ (Eddie Jones).

it’s also not hard to imagine EJ (Eddie Jones) pining for a young, arrogant, demanding Quade who is pissed off if he misses the XV.

Last edited: