• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Oa0qTrrQ-eKnNXty1T7nw-pewNM=.gif

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Squidge seems good at deciphering attacking patterns. I find it impossible from watching TV in real time since the camera never gives you a full picture of the field. And I'm not rewinding and watching a game 5x.

Less so in terms of individual players, defense, set piece, how a plan fits with personnel, officiating etc.

There's so little rugby media that it's way better than nothing. I find his "narrative" and one reason explanations as to why XYZ won/lost to be a bit simplistic though and I avoid watching him to avoid adopting this overly narrow perspective.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That's basically my main critique of EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones). Seems like he said ah screw the 23 RWC I'll bleed all the young guys at once.

I have no problem with T.Hooper, Tate, Vunivalu, Gordon, Donaldson, McReight getting opportunity, but it seems like overkill. And not a recipe for being successful this RWC.
Is Tate really an example of “bleed all the young guys at once”?

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Is Tate really an example of “bleed all the young guys at once”?

He is as a surefire starter currently and I believe he was even co-captain. So it is a rung higher than I think he should be. I'd have Nic White as the starter and Tate as the reserve 9.

He obviously had played for the Wallabies before Jones, but his role wasn't nearly as prominent.

I'd say the same thing about T.Hooper. Have him in the squad, sure, but he shouldn't be starting the big matches unless he knocks the house down. Which he hasn't.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
He is as a surefire starter currently and I believe he was even co-captain. So it is a rung higher than I think he should be. I'd have Nic White as the starter and Tate as the reserve 9.

He obviously had played for the Wallabies before Jones, but his role wasn't nearly as prominent.

I'd say the same thing about T.Hooper. Have him in the squad, sure, but he shouldn't be starting the big matches unless he knocks the house down. Which he hasn't.
Tom Hooper has knocked the house down more than any other 6 we have had in the last 3 years

Herman

Allen Oxlade (6)

Awful take. Very silly.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Awful take. Very silly.
We'll see how it goes. The current approach is 0-5. There's a reason most teams don't start completely inexperienced players in the RWC.

I think posters here are judging many of the young players through the lens of "for a young player" not "for a RWC starter."

Which is only fair to those players, but not an objective evaluation.

And I do think most the young guys identified by Jones are the future, I just don't think they are the best options for the present, at least not in the roles they've been given.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just for a laugh this is how we could run a 7-1 bench against the saffas in a World Cup semi for example

16 - Matt Faesler
17 - James Slipper
18 - Pone
19 - Matt Phillip
20 - Rob Leota
21 - Langi Gleeson
22 - Josh Kemeny
23 - Isaac Fines-Leleiwasa

Actually don’t mind it
Huge risk. I vaguely remember a game a few years ago when Michael Hooper had to play in the centres because of injuries during the match. If anyone would be suited to centres it would be Hooper you would think but it was a disaster because his positioning in defence was terrible. That is the biggest problem for a forward in the backs, not attack, but defence.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
We'll see how it goes. The current approach is 0-5. There's a reason most teams don't start completely inexperienced players in the RWC.

I think posters here are judging many of the young players through the lens of "for a young player" not "for a RWC starter."

And I do think most the young guys identified by Jones are the future, I just don't think they are the best options for the present, at least not in the roles they've been given.
No, posters here are judging players off the other options avaliable

If we had a Jerome Kaino, we wouldn't be playing Tom Hooper

If we had a Fourie Du Preez, we wouldn't be playing Tate McDermott

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting to see Seru Uru is for a second week in a row playing #7 for the barbarians

Is there any rugby australia directive about what positions player play for barbarians?

If so - you can bank on Uru being one of the first forwards being drafted into wallabies should injury strike…

Very versatile lineout option 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting to see Seru Uru is for a second week in a row playing #7 for the barbarians

Is there any rugby australia directive about what positions player play for barbarians?

If so - you can bank on Uru being one of the first forwards being drafted into wallabies should injury strike…

Very versatile lineout option 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
I really rate him but it'll be dire times if Uru is lining up in the second row at any point for the Wallabies. He was serviceable at best when forced there for the Reds.

He's much better playing loose.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
No, posters here are judging players off the other options avaliable

If we had a Jerome Kaino, we wouldn't be playing Tom Hooper

If we had a Fourie Du Preez, we wouldn't be playing Tate McDermott
They do have Nic White and Holloway.

You don't need to be Kaino or Dupont to be better than current versions of T.Hooper/Tate. And I quite like both players. I just don't think they should be starting or at minimum the starting 15 should not have quite so many inexperienced players.

But hey I hope I'm wrong and we'll know soon enough.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
They do have Nic White and Holloway.

You don't need to be Kaino or Dupont to be better than current versions of T.Hooper/Tate. And I quite like both players. I just don't think they should be starting or at minimum the starting 15 should not have quite so many inexperienced players.

But hey I hope I'm wrong and we'll know soon enough.
Stop this, the man has never played a good test match

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)

Eddie is going down the youth path, a pretty concerning approach to take leading into a world cup, cleaning out the experienced heads & stronger personalities, just as Robbie did going into 2011, and the team subsequently fizzled under the weight of pressure, Genia 23, Cooper 23, Ioane 24, Pocock 22, McCabe 23, Fainga'a 24, Beale 22, Bieber 21 - they would've stood a better chance with mentally strong seasoned veterans Giteau and G.Smith starting at 12 and 7, two of Australia's greatest ever, and Robbie sent them packing, in their prime, aged 28! They should've finished up as the two most capped Wallabies ever. An outright national travesty that should never have allowed to happen.

Last edited: