• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Going with a local only for the July series - this is my 33 man squad.

Hk: Faessler, Porecki, ?
Pr: Slipper, Bell, Hodgman, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Talakai
Lk: Frost, Neville, Holloway, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
BR: Leota, Wilson, Valetini, Swinton, Mcreight
* I do not think we will see Swinton, with him replaced by Wright, Hooper, Hanigan, Uru or Gleeson - all have pros and cons - this is a tough one!
* One of Uru, Hanigan or Hooper may likely get in a lock spot over Neville who is now 35. I wish Amatosero was doing better

HB: Mcdermott, White, Lonergan
FH: Donaldson, Lolesio, Gordon
C: Paisami, Foketi, Perese, Ikitau
OB: Kellaway, Wright, Markymark, Toole, Petaia

Would you pick anyone guaranteed leaving? Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Perese could be replaced by Flook & Vunivalu
Probably my filthy blue tinted glasses but I think Vailanu is the third hooker on form. Shame he isn't 5-10kg heavier.

I don't have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) anywhere near the Wallabies on form.

I'd also take Lynagh over Gordon. A fly-half who can't kick has no place in this Wallaby squad (or any, really) given our lack of kicking options elsewhere. Can't believe I'm saying this but on form Donaldson is our starting flyhalf.

Flook over Perese.

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)
Going with a local only for the July series - this is my 33 man squad.

Hk: Faessler, Porecki, ?
Pr: Slipper, Bell, Hodgman, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Talakai
Lk: Frost, Neville, Holloway, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
BR: Leota, Wilson, Valetini, Swinton, Mcreight
* I do not think we will see Swinton, with him replaced by Wright, Hooper, Hanigan, Uru or Gleeson - all have pros and cons - this is a tough one!
* One of Uru, Hanigan or Hooper may likely get in a lock spot over Neville who is now 35. I wish Amatosero was doing better

HB: Mcdermott, White, Lonergan
FH: Donaldson, Lolesio, Gordon
C: Paisami, Foketi, Perese, Ikitau
OB: Kellaway, Wright, Markymark, Toole, Petaia

Would you pick anyone guaranteed leaving? Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Perese could be replaced by Flook & Vunivalu

Don't think Hodgeman is eligible until Nov 24 unfortunately. Otherwise, mine would look fairly similar:

1. Slipper / Bell / Schoupp
2. Faessler / Porecki / Lonergan
3. Ala'alatoa / Tupou / Talakai
4. Frost / Holloway
5. Neville / Salakaia-Loto
6. Swinton / Hooper
7. McReight
8. Valetini / Wilson
9. White / McDermott
10. Donaldson / Lolesio / Gordon
11. Kellaway / Toole
12. Paisami / Stewart
13. Ikitau / Foketi
14. Petaia / Flook
15. Jorgensen

I'm okay to move past Perese & Nawa - both have strengths & weaknesses. Flook looks class & not sure what Toole can be at test level. I'd keep Swinton in as no other physical jumping 6 in Aus. Skelton back in post July as soon as available.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I agree - it's my biggest issue when suggested he returns to the Reds. The team has moved on from playing Kerevi-ball, after some time trying to replicate it with others, and look better for it. The big caveat, however, being that Kerevi has improved his distribution since those days and the Wallabies have other weapons in their arsenal to provide some variety, which the Reds were somewhat lacking.

The Wallabies aren’t really in a position to be not selecting blokes because they’re too good at dominating a game in a certain play style.

If Kerevi is fit and he’s earned a spot, he needs to play.

The team that runs out this year and next will largely be the same blokes who’ve been in the side for the last couple of years and that team isn’t suddenly going to grow ten legs and improve dramatically, even with a new coach. We need the best players on the field and it wasn’t that long ago when Kerevi was being discussed as the best 12 in the world.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I'd also take Lynagh over Gordon. A fly-half who can't kick has no place in this Wallaby squad (or any, really) given our lack of kicking options elsewhere. Can't believe I'm saying this but on form Donaldson is our starting flyhalf.
You know Larkham couldn’t kick goals so I don’t buy this ‘fly-half must be the squads best kicker’ business.

Also doesn’t Gordon play golf of scratch? That suggests that given enough (injury free) time, he’s likely to be a decent kicker.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You know Larkham couldn’t kick goals so I don’t buy this ‘fly-half must be the squads best kicker’ business.

Also doesn’t Gordon play golf of scratch? That suggests that given enough (injury free) time, he’s likely to be a decent kicker.
Both statements are irrelevant. We have no other kickers who make the team.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Both statements are irrelevant. We have no other kickers who make the team.
Your exact statement said was that a fly-half who can’t kick has ‘no business in any Wallaby squad’, so I’d say it’s directly relevant.

Gordon isn’t even that bad at kicking- he’s probably going to make the squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Your exact statement said was that a fly-half who can’t kick has ‘no business in any Wallaby squad’, so I’d say it’s directly relevant.

Gordon isn’t even that bad at kicking- he’s probably going to make the squad.
Point remains.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The Wallabies aren’t really in a position to be not selecting blokes because they’re too good at dominating a game in a certain play style.

If Kerevi is fit and he’s earned a spot, he needs to play.

The team that runs out this year and next will largely be the same blokes who’ve been in the side for the last couple of years and that team isn’t suddenly going to grow ten legs and improve dramatically, even with a new coach. We need the best players on the field and it wasn’t that long ago when Kerevi was being discussed as the best 12 in the world.
I agree - it would be silly not to include Kerevi if he's at or near his best; my point was more around shoehorning a below-par Kerevi into a Wallabies backline that might benefit from a 12 with a different skillset.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Funny how quickly Kerevi best is forgotten
He came back and played no games from an acl and straight into the wallabies
The whole squad was bad last year
Originally the game plan in the backs revolved around Kerevi and we beat the boks back to back off it
Last year our good old mate Eddie had Kerevi and petaia kicking the ball - no one had an idea of their jobs
A half fit 60% Kerevi is still way better than what’s next - the wallabies don’t have the luxury like the ABs do! Foketi and Paisami and well below! Foketi still in front of Paisami!
kerevi needs to be chose - Paisami has been given chances but isn’t big enough to make an impact over the gain line in test matches, and doesn’t have the skillset for ball playing either! Also gets caught out in defence laterally! He only comes up with a big shot on occasion

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Valetini at 6 and Charlie Cale at 8? I think the kid is raising his hands
Uru and Cale showing more then Wilson, but also tussling with Glesson and Hooper for the final spot in my 5 man backrow squad in a 33man program - Leota, Valetini, Mcreight, Swinton + ?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He could and he did.

Indeed… had to take over the kicking duties at the Brumbies for a game or two at the start of the 2005 when they had an injury crisis.

But through his career Bernie benefited from playing in teams with the likes of Burke, Mortlock, Flatley, Walker, Roff and Giteau.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Indeed… had to take over the kicking duties at the Brumbies for a game or two at the start of the 2005 when they had an injury crisis.

But through his career Bernie benefited from playing in teams with the likes of Burke, Mortlock, Flatley, Walker, Roff and Giteau.
He scored the greatest field goal in our recent history.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd keep Swinton in as no other physical jumping 6 in Aus. Skelton back in post July as soon as available.
If people are talking about a 6 that jumps and is physical - Hanigan is in that mould. I'm not saying he'd be top of the list to pick but he plays 6 well, and jumps, and has upped his physicality this year and last. I certainly think there are options in that regard beyond Swinton, as suggested above. Including players more likely to stay on the field.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hanigan has done a great job, putting his head down and working on getting better. Atm, in a well beaten team, its either him or holloway who is trying to fill the gap hooper left and carry the team to a win through hard graft.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cross from Reds thread (off topic there)

Unusually Dru, I disagree with you on your assessment of Andrew Kellaway this year. The Rebels are having a fairly uninspiring season (not unexpected in the circumstances) and AK (Andrew Kellaway) (Andrew Kellaway) has really not put his stamp on any of their performances. He has missed multiple tackles that previously he was good to make, and he has either been utterly selfish and died with the ball in good attacking position or else sent a no-look pass to nobody or over the touchline. By his own standards he has been poor, and looks entirely like a winger playing out of position at fullback.

On the other hand, Tom Wright has been instrumental in all the Brumbies wins (5 in case somebody might have missed it) and is the most threatening ball runner in all of the Aussie SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) sides this year. He was probably MOTM yesterday and was in contention for that award in all other games this year. He has been consistently very good and an important part of the Brumbies currently running as the top Aussie side in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific). His form is clearly better than any contenders for the Wallabies' No 15 spot right now. Whether that continues, we'll have to wait and see.

BR, you and I have had differing thoughts on Wright for, well ages. That said I really liked what Wright did in Round 6 against the Reds. He is definitely finding his stride and building toward this claimed higher ceiling that is claimed. I completely rate Jock Campbell and in this game at least, Wright was a clear winner. WRT a "clear" lock for the starting 15 in the Wallabies, yes we disagree.

Nor am I on my own - from the GAGR team of the week:
R1: Kellaway
R2: Kellaway
R3: Burey
R4: Wright
R5: Wright

Kellaway as I understand it has been out a couple of games? What has been claimed (back in the history of the thread I am cross posting) is that Wright is clearly the form 15. Nonsense. He is certainly a key contender, but he is not a clear selection based on the GAGR feedback at any rate. Now that shouldn't be considered a simple slam dunk, but we are here at GAGR after all and it aught be considered some kind of relevance.

The Reds v Brumbies game was a single point won numerically by the superior boot of Lolesio, who also have a leading game and gets my MOTM. Wright was a contender and played a really fantastic game.

I am no longer "coming around" to Wright, I'm there. But I don't agree his form obviously displaces Kellaway right now. It's a great place to be with two good international quality full backs making a claim. With a bit of luck Wright can continue to remove the head-farts from his game. He'll be a welcome member of the Wallaby squad if Schmidt is seeing things like I am. In the back of my mind though, have to say I have a lot of comfort with the settling hand of Kellaway at 15.