• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Ideally, though I'm not sure how regulation 9 works for a non test match within the test match window. Might be a limit to how much they can effectively take the piss there.
I think you're right. "Australia XV" isn't a national rep team.

The Right to Release for Matches shall apply to each of the senior National Representative Team, the next senior National Representative Team and the Under 20 National Representative Team of a Union in respect of all International Matches, International Tours and International Tournaments played over a period of three weekends in November each year

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The backup 7 is a tough one. Tizzano is a goer that's for sure but so was Beau Robinson. He doesn't jump guys like Reimer and Scott just because they interchange and Tizzano has a lock on it at the Force right now. Think the Brumbies have greater competition for spots when there's Brown as well.

With the depth across 6 & 8 I think moving Wright into the 7 could be a very simple one if needed. On the bench, I think guys like Leota come into frame with the ability to fill the position if needed but both Mcreight and Wright are generally good for a lot of minutes.

Shame about Wilkins injury as I think he'd be the best of the lot in regards to backups. Is he due back soon?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will they have to take 12 front towers on tour?

You couldn't afford to have one of your test match 23 have to play a 70+mins 2 days before if there was an injury.

All euro comps are still running too, so possible no non-aussie based players released.
Do we have 12 eligible and fit Aussie props playing on super rugby at the moment?

THP - Nongorr, AAA, Van Nek, Pone, Talakai?
LHP - Fa’agase, Hoopert, Hodgman, Pearce, Vella, Eloff.
Miss any? Not counting clubbies from NSW

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Do we have 12 eligible and fit Aussie props playing on super rugby at the moment?

Slips :D , His back this week

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Surely some enquiries around Scott Sio with this list.

Tom Robertson keeping fit? (kidding)

When are some of the injured Props due back if any?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Unpopular opinion, Jake Gordon is still the best poacher 9 we have. Not the best 9, but if we are picking/wanting that support unit who can sniff out opportunities against the run of play, he is our best option

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The backup 7 is a tough one. Tizzano is a goer that's for sure but so was Beau Robinson. He doesn't jump guys like Reimer and Scott just because they interchange and Tizzano has a lock on it at the Force right now. Think the Brumbies have greater competition for spots when there's Brown as well.

With the depth across 6 & 8 I think moving Wright into the 7 could be a very simple one if needed. On the bench, I think guys like Leota come into frame with the ability to fill the position if needed but both Mcreight and Wright are generally good for a lot of minutes.

Shame about Wilkins injury as I think he'd be the best of the lot in regards to backups. Is he due back soon?
Gamble is also a superior player.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Unpopular opinion, Jake Gordon is still the best poacher 9 we have. Not the best 9, but if we are picking/wanting that support unit who can sniff out opportunities against the run of play, he is our best option
He’s still in the top 3 halfbacks in the country.

His core halfback skills are underrated (ask Dave Rennie) but what sets him apart are his effort plays. He’s constantly leading the defensive line, kick chases and is the best supporting player in AUS rugby.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
He’s still in the top 3 halfbacks in the country.

His core halfback skills are underrated (ask Dave Rennie) but what sets him apart are his effort plays. He’s constantly leading the defensive line, kick chases and is the best supporting player in AUS rugby.
All true Eastman, but imho overplays his hand and not sure if that’s game plan or just him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's the dominant player in a backline. It's been the case since he was the leading try scorer in the Shute Shield with Uni before he got into the Tahs.

I like him but we can't say it's working.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
All true Eastman, but imho overplays his hand and not sure if that’s game plan or just him.

it comes with that poacher mentality and I would guess is incorporated into the game plan, if you have a player whose mindset is to have a go, chase down those kicks and make those darts - you either embrace it or pick someone else

Raytah

Herbert Moran (7)
Gordon inability to punch pass off the deck has been the perennial issue for me - core skill for a 9. Lonergan throws the best seed.

Bc of the short lead in, I suspect combos might be in focus for the Wales series which also counts against Gordon. Am expecting to see one of the following 9/10/15 combos.

- Lonergan/Lolesio/Wright
- White/Donaldson/Beale; or
- McDermott/Gordon/Kellaway

None are perfect but Lolesio's goal kicking gets the top one across the line for me.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
McDermott/Donaldson/Kellaway for me. Lonergan on the bench with C.Gordon. Plenty of goal kicking and I think Donaldson has the ability to play with Tates' style quite well.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
McDermott/Donaldson/Kellaway for me. Lonergan on the bench with C.Gordon. Plenty of goal kicking and I think Donaldson has the ability to play with Tates' style quite well.
I'd take White and Donaldson myself.

I think Donaldson is the best option but I also think he is still capable of some really dire play so not feeling super enthused by it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gordon inability to punch pass off the deck has been the perennial issue for me - core skill for a 9. Lonergan throws the best seed.

Bc of the short lead in, I suspect combos might be in focus for the Wales series which also counts against Gordon. Am expecting to see one of the following 9/10/15 combos.

- Lonergan/Lolesio/Wright
- White/Donaldson/Beale; or
- McDermott/Gordon/Kellaway

None are perfect but Lolesio's goal kicking gets the top one across the line for me.
Not sure why Wright or Beale would get a run

Reactions: dru