• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It doesn't matter.

We weren't going well with Rennie as coach and moved on. Things are undoubtedly worse but no one can definitively say that we'd have been significantly better this year with Rennie still at the helm.
The revisionist history that Rennie was the answer is quite impressive

We again appear to think changing the coach is the answer and that good coaches turn to shit magically when they become wallaby coaches, so change the coach and .......

EQEukJ0XsAEEk9u.jpg

A couple of other issues ...................

Most of the players come from shit franchises, who just lose and don't play that great even when they win
We have our best back injured just before the tournament
We were planning to rely on, in key positions, players coming back from serious injury, but they didn't get back to anywhere near their pre injury form (Cooper, Hooper and Kerevi)
We have players at the end of their careers being passed on for youth, never an easy decision
Or when getting back, they came back too fast and got wounded again Tupou
We had our other best back, not play as he did in Koro
We are so desperate for good THPs we pick players like Pone who plays every 15th match in-between another period of rehab
Our forwards struggle to play hard, accurate and angry for 80 minutes, they just run out of puff, take short cuts and deliver penalties
We have every coach for the last 15 years gets this load of unfit units from the Super Rugby S&Cs, flogs them and we whinge because the poor babies all can't handle the load

But if we didn't change the coach everything would have been OK

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)

We again appear to think changing the coach is the answer and that good coaches turn to shit magically when they become wallaby coaches, so change the coach and .......

View attachment 17570

Most of the players come from shit franchises, who just lose and don't play that great even when they win
We were planning to rely on, in key positions, players coming back from serious injury, but they didn't get back to anywhere near their pre injury form (Cooper, Hooper and Kerevi)
We have players at the end of their careers being passed on for youth, never an easy decision
We are so desperate for good THPs we pick players like Pone who plays every 15th match in-between another period of rehab
Our forwards struggle to play hard, accurate and angry for 80 minutes, they just run out of puff, take short cuts and deliver penalties
We have every coach for the last 15 years gets this load of unfit units from the Super Rugby S&Cs, flogs them and we whinge because the poor babies all can't handle the load

If we didn't change the coach , we 99% most likely would have won against Fiji, and then be in the Qf's playing against a struggling poms side.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
100% this. Without Tupou and Ala'alatoa do people really expect the performances would have been markedly better under Rennie?

(this is in no way a defence of Eddie)
I think we still would have won against Fiji , which is all we needed. Pool c has a favourable Draw. The qf will be against a struggling pool D side.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
On that note, I have an awful, terrible feeling that Larkham is going to get Pivacced
It's going to be interesting to see who they go with, but he does stand as a likely panic button. On the evidence of the world cup so far they should arguably be chasing Raiwalui (though I'm doubtful it'd work or that he'd want it)

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think we still would have won against Fiji , which is all we needed. Pool c has a favourable Draw. The qf will be against a struggling pool D side.
The way Fiji played and the course we were on under Rennie it's far from certain we would have. Even if we did what would've been the point of an ordinary performance benefiting from the luck of the draw? At least this way there is nowhere to hide and they may finally blow up the joint and start again.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
The way Fiji played and the course we were on under Rennie it's far from certain we would have. Even if we did what would've been the point of an ordinary performance benefiting from the luck of the draw? At least this way there is nowhere to hide and they may finally blow up the joint and start again.
We were playing much better though, i don't know why so many people can't understand that. The stats show we were much better last year, so we definitely would have deserved to make the Qf .

And once we made the QF we could havd set up fan zones etc.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rennie was not going well, although results against better teams were closer than recently.
Jones has not gone well. 'nuff said.
The data we have does not support the argument that Jones is better, or that Rennie would have been worse, or indeed better.
Anyone saying so is just opining.
Changing the coach in the manner and at the time we did was not a great move.
And I think that our current situation is actually far worse than it would have been had we not, with an almost untenable coach on a multi-year big money contract.
Yes, the crux of the matter is not who is the better or worse coach, it is the sheer stupidity of McLennan in changing coaches so close to the Cup. That move led to all that we've since suffered, including the incompetence of Jones and his team as coaches and team managers.

I do wonder though, what our situation might have been had Dave continued and not won the Cup. With little doubt he'd now be on his way out and Eddie would probably come in for the next four years. Hopefully, the way forward now is that Eddie does the right thing and resigns and we try to get our house in order for the Lions and RWC to come.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
We were playing much better though, i don't know why so many people can't understand that. The stats show we were much better last year, so we definitely would have deserved to make the Qf .

And once we made the QF we could havd set up fan zones etc.
We might have been playing better but we weren't playing well and Rennie was flailing. I don't entirely blame him, he was working in the same failed system as the rest, but I don't see any point in a middle of the road finish where we fail to threaten for the cup and keep going on business as usual either.

A few fan zones for a 2am quarter final would've done SFA to fix Rugby's underlying issues here.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
We might have been playing better but we weren't playing well and Rennie was flailing. I don't entirely blame him, he was working in the same failed system as the rest, but I don't see any point in a middle of the road finish where we fail to threaten for the cup and keep going on business as usual either.

A few fan zones for a 2am quarter final would've done SFA to fix Rugby's underlying issues here.
A middle of the road finish is much better than what we have now.

They could have starting rebuilding agter the world cup.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I guess why didn’t they just sign Eddie up from January 1 2024.
Or agree to it with a handshake. No one else was going to hire him in that 12 month period realistically and fuck, pay him $500k to garden or run a coaching high performance team for a year.
McLennan shat the bed

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
You can say rennie sucked and I can say the team was turning around but no one can say that firing him was the right move under any circumstance and that’s probably always been the case except for those who believed Eddie’s bs.
Listen to anyone from up north talk about Eddie “best days are gone and it’s all bs out of his mouth now”

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
At least Eddie Jones accelerated the demise of Aus Rugby ..

maybe under Rennie we made out of the quarters, maybe not … sometimes retaining the status quo is the worst out come.

at least now we know we’re at rock bottom … Time to rebuild the entire ship!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

View attachment 17570

Rennie wasn't great but to think he would have lead a team to these results seems highly unlikely. He had a much worse injury record last season and had much better results.

Fact is this - it was a terrible, terrible decision to sack Rennie and hire Jones. On every conceivable metric you could use to judge that decision it failed. It was the kind of decision a Union on its knees couldn't afford to get wrong.

And no, it's not the cause of all our problem (insert Pfitzy rant). But it was certainly a major contributor to our performance at this world cup.