• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Also think Michael Cheika comes in as Head of High Performance - a new position.
Hmm, I genuinely wonder who's the Head of High Performance of the No.1 team in the world currently I have to wonder...

Could it be that same bloke who from 2008-2012 held the same role in Australia & had Wallabies consistently at No.2??

Last edited:

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This loss could be what we needed (Rugby Australia), hopefully a wake up call and inflicts some serious change starting from grass roots. We need investment in rugby clubs so that parents dont have to pay $600 for a season compared to $30 at league clubs. We've got four years to make something happen.
We've got a Lions tour in 2025 - unless it is cancelled because of lack of interest.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Think we need to probably hope Eddie leaves to Japan or settle a payout with him. Just to put this behind us an move on (this is why we should have kept Rennie to be used as a scape goat in case the RWC went bad). Waugh is fresh but think McLennan probably needs to stand aside as well or in the next few months show a large change by centralising the sport.

I think it shows that the bickering over Super Rugby has cost NZ and Australia with both regressing whilst RSA joining Europe and selecting European based players has continued to progress. So think that needs to be addressed and seen what can be done to address those issues and start working together more.

On that note I would like an European coach to come in, no weight of Australia vs NZ or QLD vs NSW. Lancaster (do a reverse Eddie at England) or Shaun Edwards would be good picks for me, Edwards would at least get them to defend. The dream is Rassie, the man has turned it around at RSA after a similar low point and could do the same for us, however I think we'd need Twiggy to open up the cheque book and pay him personally. Would be fun though.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Think we need to probably hope Eddie leaves to Japan or settle a payout with him. Just to put this behind us an move on (this is why we should have kept Rennie to be used as a scape goat in case the RWC went bad). Waugh is fresh but think McLennan probably needs to stand aside as well or in the next few months show a large change by centralising the sport.

I think it shows that the bickering over Super Rugby has cost NZ and Australia with both regressing whilst RSA joining Europe and selecting European based players has continued to progress. So think that needs to be addressed and seen what can be done to address those issues and start working together more.

On that note I would like an European coach to come in, no weight of Australia vs NZ or QLD vs NSW. Lancaster (do a reverse Eddie at England) or Shaun Edwards would be good picks for me, Edwards would at least get them to defend. The dream is Rassie, the man has turned it around at RSA after a similar low point and could do the same for us, however I think we'd need Twiggy to open up the cheque book and pay him personally. Would be fun though.
Investment critical but I don’t see it happening.

Alex Ross (28)
It doesn't matter.

We weren't going well with Rennie as coach and moved on. Things are undoubtedly worse but no one can definitively say that we'd have been significantly better this year with Rennie still at the helm.
Id take Rennies noble losses to Ireland, France and NZ over Eddie’s floggings by the worst Wales side in a generation every day and twice on Sunday.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
If we were to mix & match a CEO and Coach from the last 15 years who would you guys have?

I would have Raelene Castle & Dave Rennie. How about you guys?

Wallabies

Frank Nicholson (4)
I really cannot fathom people criticising Eddie jones. He had two months hands on with wallabies and you guys really expected him to some how turn an already struggling team into a top contender. YES we went worst than we wouldve with Rennie but thats because there were two options for Eddie. 1) use rennies team and be guaranteed an average performance with no future benefits. 2) Use a new team and take a chance, but give young players expereince. People need to understand, unless we won this worldcup, rugby and its popularity in australia would not change. Winning or coming very close to it in 2027 WILL. And thats clearly the plan behind the scenes. Im not by any means saying Australian Rugby have everything under control, they dont, but they certainily are inflicting change.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I really cannot fathom people criticising Eddie jones. He had two months hands on with wallabies and you guys really expected him to some how turn an already struggling team into a top contender. YES we went worst than we wouldve with Rennie but thats because there were two options for Eddie. 1) use rennies team and be guaranteed an average performance with no future benefits. 2) Use a new team and take a chance, but give young players expereince. People need to understand, unless we won this worldcup, rugby and its popularity in australia would not change. Winning or coming very close to it in 2027 WILL. And thats clearly the plan behind the scenes. Im not by any means saying Australian Rugby have everything under control, they dont, but they certainily are inflicting change.

Hamish please

Alex Ross (28)
I’d prefer Rod McQueen actually winning rugby games over both of them
And I’d prefer a lot of things.
What a crock of shit. Sorry, but what a crock of shit. Eddie threw out the baby with the bath water. Talking shit like he got rid of Hooper because he wanted players who put more effort in.
He took a massive gamble and failed miserably. He should be held accountable. Our ranking risks putting us in a RWC2027 pool with 2 heavyweights and not much time to turn it around before the draw that could be as early as next year.
He didn’t just fuck this RWC. He might have just fucked the next one too.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And I’d prefer a lot of things.

What a crock of shit. Sorry, but what a crock of shit. Eddie threw out the baby with the bath water. Talking shit like he got rid of Hooper because he wanted players who put more effort in.
He took a massive gamble and failed miserably. He should be held accountable. Our ranking risks putting us in a RWC2027 pool with 2 heavyweights and not much time to turn it around before the draw that could be as early as next year.
He didn’t just fuck this RWC. He might have just fucked the next one too.
Fuck, I had not even thought of this aspect. Good point. Although WR (World Rugby) have flagged they will do the draw closer to 2027 than they did with this one, so not likely early 2024. Still leaves a very skinny timeframe to get to a reasonable rank. Imagine hosting a RWC and being drawn with, say, SA and NZ in your pool?

Alex Ross (28)
Fuck, I had not even thought of this aspect. Good point. Although WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) have flagged they will do the draw closer to 2027 than they did with this one, so not likely early 2024. Still leaves a very skinny timeframe to get to a reasonable rank. Imagine hosting a RWC and being drawn with, say, SA and NZ in your pool?
I’d have more hope if World Rugby changing had less in common with a busted flush.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
The player selections were reckless. A clean out and rebuild is acceptable but you don‘t do it one clean swoop. Quade and Hooper should have been there … a given. There are no questions around Carter Gordon and Fraser McReight’s ability and both players are the future of Australian rugby BUT this should have been a batten change with these two given the keys in 2024. Seriously, Max Jorgensen and Ben Donaldson taking spots to keep two of our best IP players out of the team … that is insanity. Eddie only having two months to bring together a team and he does that shit. Not a coach with much clue.

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
Clutching at straws I know. But the June tests after we knocked out England in 2015, England smashed us.

we need a new coach though.
2016 and Michael Cheika’s Wallabies getting smashed by Eddie Jones’ England was the beginning of the steep decline.