• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
“One line of thought is that Jones may simply have been helping selection process, given his close relationship with JRFU President Masato Tsuchida,
You would think that if that were the case then he would come out and say 'I was just helping them with their selection s'.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
You would think that if that were the case then he would come out and say 'I was just helping them with their selection s'.

Thought that too… however still a bad look… angling for a plan B with taking the interview

Marce

John Thornett (49)
So Eddie still can achieve a new record:

JJv6C0l.md.jpg

If they lose against Portugal he can be out of the Top 10 for the first time in history. This is what Eddie talked about? Make history?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Look, I think we all give the Wallabies a lot of shit and deservedly so but we want them to do better and that’s why we get the shits.

Right now nobody is really lolling about ranking position and the implosion that has happened with the current squad.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
So Eddie still can achieve a new record:

JJv6C0l.md.jpg

If they lose against Portugal he can be out of the Top 10 for the first time in history. This is what Eddie talked about? Make history?
The only thing that gives me hope is that Wales were in the same position about a year ago maybe less. They have turned it around and might make the semis now. Think shows you right people and decisions can make a big difference. Also can’t tell me wales have better group to pick from than us, seeing as we beat them at their home last year with the same group

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
The only thing that gives me hope is that Wales were in the same position about a year ago maybe less. They have turned it around and might make the semis now. Think shows you right people and decisions can make a big difference. Also can’t tell me wales have better group to pick from than us, seeing as we beat them at their home last year with the same group
Turned it around? They were gifted a Win over fiji by Carley and Radradra. Then beat a shocking Wallabies performance. Lets wait and see how they go against a tier 1 side before saying theyve turned it around.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe because of this side of the draw they could sneak through to a SF but their problems aren’t solved. I think their likely to be done in a semi final pretty well.

They have done well to keep it simple and play within capacity. I think Gatland is a very overhyped coach but he drove a safe race in a basket case pool it seems and he’s going to go through no.1

Wales have domestic sides arguably worse than ours and their youth sides have been poor.

Unlike the Wallabies they still have to face the loss of experience. Biggar, North, Faletau, Williams hold that group together.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I keep hearing Ikitau's name as a player we should have taken and can't fir the life of me see how we would have won more game with him involved. The difference would have been negligible. Same with Rodda who has barely played a game in a couple of years and been average when he has.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I keep hearing Ikitau's name as a player we should have taken and can't fir the life of me see how we would have won more game with him involved. The difference would have been negligible. Same with Rodda who has barely played a game in a couple of years and been average when he has.
Agree with you about Rodda but I feel Ikitau would have made a big difference v Fiji.

He’s been the defensive glue for the last 2 years in the backline.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Individual players weren't gonna change this result IMO. This World Cup has been highlighted by tactical rugby with plenty of kicking, correct decision making and playing in the right areas. These are all things our players are woefully inept at.

It was obvious Wales were using their 9 in the midfield on defense and yet no one, not Tate, not Donaldson, not Kerevi realized this and took advantage of this around the ruck. Just spin the ball from side to side like its under 12s rugby

NCT

Herbert Moran (7)
Wales were well organised and all seemed to know their role. They lost their playmaker after 10 minutes, which I thought would disrupt them and Anscombe comes off the bench and looked like he had been in the role all along.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If he hadn't missed months with a shoulder injury maybe, but first game back with only a week or two of contact training under his belt?

It's not like defence was really our issue that game either.
Probably right. I just see Petaia get caught in am I coming forward or back mode quite a bit.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
My biggest issue with it was he's been one of, if not the most, consistent performers for the Wallabies over the past couple of years. Players don't get many opportunities to play in World Cups, and EJ (Eddie Jones) took that away for him without ever providing justification.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
So I am bitterly disappointed by our performance at the RWC. We are a better team than what we have showed. We aren't world champions by any means but we couldn't have had an easier pool or path to the qtr finals.

Eddie has a strong coaching record, but that includes times where he has crashed and burnt spectacularly, including with the Wallabies in 2005 and the Reds in 2007. So while Eddie can produce diamonds he can also produce rocks, and we (especially McLennan) should have known that. A friend of a friend played under Eddie in the mid 2000s and, while respecting Eddie's rugby brain, is highly critical of Eddie for his poor man management and lack of interpersonal skills. Its one of the reasons why Eddie always struggles keeping assistant coaches.

Eddie's decision to go for generational change a few weeks before the RWC was diabolical; as is his chopping and changing of captains and selections. The turnover in assistant coaches was also a warning sign, as was the selected replacements (too few with rugby credentials). You could see our team had low confidence and composure in our two losses. Instead of rallying when things went against us, we turned to a team of individuals, trying hard but going nowhere and getting frustrated. It was embarrassing to watch, but an obvious outcome from the preparation and selections.

It's all well and good for Eddie to put his hand up to take responsibility, but what does that mean if he doesn't resign? What will it take for him to resign if not our worst ever RWC performance and just a single win in 2023 (against Georgia FFS).

I don't really care if Eddie did or didn't talk to Japan in the last few weeks. Professional coaching is a cut throat game. No concerns from me as long as he was still 100% committed to the Wallabies for this RWC, which I think he was. My issue is what Eddie did with the Wallabies leading up to and into the RWC.

Judging by McLennan's post game remarks, he still sees Jones as a coaching messiah and has no regrets. That tells me he has learnt nothing and we should expect more of the same chaos going forward. That is an intolerable situation for me. And don't even get me started on the Suallii signing.

I actually think McLennan and Eddie are right in saying that things need to fundamentally change in Aus rugby. I just don't think either of them are the right people to lead us through those changes, in fact I think they have proven it over the last 3 months. I think Hamish should be first to go and (assuming Eddie doesn't go on his own accord) then let the new Chair decide what do to with the coaching panel. If nothing else, they have to scale back Eddie's autonomy.

One relatively quick change I think we should make is to open up wallaby selection to all Aus eligible players regardless of where they are playing. We worry too much about player drain, but there is quite a few examples now where our players have improved with the overseas experience. I just want our strongest team picked and I am prepared to watch a weaker Waratahs team (if thats possible) if that's the price to be paid.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The problem with the selections: at least for me, was the complete and utter lack of consistency around selection.

Some Vets got turfed, others didn't.

Some players that were underwhelming on their return from long injury layoffs got to stay. Others didn't.

Some players were carried into the squad despite existing injury, or kept in the squad after injury which would see them miss 2-3 games, while others seemed to be ruled out day dot with similar return to plays.

Bold inclusion calls were made on players who seemed to be part of some thoughtful strategy but then played 0, 1 or 2 games off the bench across the 8 games played year to date.

Inexperienced players under 23 were thrown into starting positions based on raw talent and recent performance, then were asked to play roles or styles largely alien to them.

Even taking into context the broader issues in Australian Rugby, these patterns need to be reflected on and actioned to move forward successfully in the short term for the International set up.

After Portugal the Wallabies have nearly 40 weeks before their next fixture, Super Rugby players have more than 20 till opening round. There's a lot of time to plan reflect and ensure standards and metrics apply.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
So I am bitterly disappointed by our performance at the RWC. We are a better team than what we have showed. We aren't world champions by any means but we couldn't have had an easier pool or path to the qtr finals.

Eddie has a strong coaching record, but that includes times where he has crashed and burnt spectacularly, including with the Wallabies in 2005 and the Reds in 2007. So while Eddie can produce diamonds he can also produce rocks, and we (especially McLennan) should have known that. A friend of a friend played under Eddie in the mid 2000s and, while respecting Eddie's rugby brain, is highly critical of Eddie for his poor man management and lack of interpersonal skills. Its one of the reasons why Eddie always struggles keeping assistant coaches.

Eddie's decision to go for generational change a few weeks before the RWC was diabolical; as is his chopping and changing of captains and selections. The turnover in assistant coaches was also a warning sign, as was the selected replacements (too few with rugby credentials). You could see our team had low confidence and composure in our two losses. Instead of rallying when things went against us, we turned to a team of individuals, trying hard but going nowhere and getting frustrated. It was embarrassing to watch, but an obvious outcome from the preparation and selections.

It's all well and good for Eddie to put his hand up to take responsibility, but what does that mean if he doesn't resign? What will it take for him to resign if not our worst ever RWC performance and just a single win in 2023 (against Georgia FFS).

I don't really care if Eddie did or didn't talk to Japan in the last few weeks. Professional coaching is a cut throat game. No concerns from me as long as he was still 100% committed to the Wallabies for this RWC, which I think he was. My issue is what Eddie did with the Wallabies leading up to and into the RWC.

Judging by McLennan's post game remarks, he still sees Jones as a coaching messiah and has no regrets. That tells me he has learnt nothing and we should expect more of the same chaos going forward. That is an intolerable situation for me. And don't even get me started on the Suallii signing.

I actually think McLennan and Eddie are right in saying that things need to fundamentally change in Aus rugby. I just don't think either of them are the right people to lead us through those changes, in fact I think they have proven it over the last 3 months. I think Hamish should be first to go and (assuming Eddie doesn't go on his own accord) then let the new Chair decide what do to with the coaching panel. If nothing else, they have to scale back Eddie's autonomy.

One relatively quick change I think we should make is to open up wallaby selection to all Aus eligible players regardless of where they are playing. We worry too much about player drain, but there is quite a few examples now where our players have improved with the overseas experience. I just want our strongest team picked and I am prepared to watch a weaker Waratahs team (if thats possible) if that's the price to be paid.
I agree in opening up the eligibility, but we’ve seen this year guys like Arnold, Kerevi, Korobiete don’t perform and only Skelton has justified selection