• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
It’s 90% Eddie’s fault because during the RC he did not get the results he wanted or needed to stroke his ego and he turned around and dumped most of his senior players. Problem was that the replacements were not the equal or better of those dropped players. There is also no guarantee those young players will be better for being humiliated in the RWC. Some of them are just not up to it and others will be scarred from the experienced and discarded due to their tarnished reputations. It was a monumental fuck up, as was the last minute coaching team he put in place for the tournament. He also implemented a game plan for the group at the RWC that was either beyond them or just plain impotent, as the results illustrate. The theory of building for 2027 is just more trash talk from him to push his poor selections into the shade.
So, while you and others are running around saying it’s not Eddie’s fault, a lot of it is. Who could have faith in him from this point on?
Of course those who fired Rennie and hastily hired Eddie, signing him to a 5 year contract with no performance milestones are equally culpable and should fall on their swords.
The Eddie argument is going in circles. The fact that we have not been great the last 10 or so years does not relieve him of his many poor decisions and ridiculously bad results in his short tenure. No coach has ever been close to this bad and we have had a few poor ones.
I wished I said this mate have summed it up well
Eddie jones said we would win bled cup and rugby champs, when we didn’t he said those games don’t matter and only the RWC does
He then dropped half the senior squad and replaced them with less then capable players and no experience using half the side as a captain so far
He was saying he would win the RWC - to now only backtrack and say he is looking ahead at lions tours and rwc so is he now admitting he was never going to win or only covering up his diabolical performance
Well done Eddie here carter gorden and Donaldson join the production line of young 10s getting pushed on
Jones makes Rennie look like a master coach
I’d take 36% record over 14%
Not the mention the jones supporters stating it’s great for the game with jones and the media - well if Aus rugby wasn’t the laughing stock of Australia and this kind of press the wallabies are getting it certainly is now! People have gone from feeling sorry for the wallabies to hating them because of jones

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It’s 90% Eddie’s fault because during the RC he did not get the results he wanted or needed to stroke his ego and he turned around and dumped most of his senior players. Problem was that the replacements were not the equal or better of those dropped players. There is also no guarantee those young players will be better for being humiliated in the RWC. Some of them are just not up to it and others will be scarred from the experienced and discarded due to their tarnished reputations. It was a monumental fuck up, as was the last minute coaching team he put in place for the tournament. He also implemented a game plan for the group at the RWC that was either beyond them or just plain impotent, as the results illustrate. The theory of building for 2027 is just more trash talk from him to push his poor selections into the shade.
So, while you and others are running around saying it’s not Eddie’s fault, a lot of it is. Who could have faith in him from this point on?
Of course those who fired Rennie and hastily hired Eddie, signing him to a 5 year contract with no performance milestones are equally culpable and should fall on their swords.
The Eddie argument is going in circles. The fact that we have not been great the last 10 or so years does not relieve him of his many poor decisions and ridiculously bad results in his short tenure. No coach has ever been close to this bad and we have had a few poor ones.
Where and when did I ever say that?

You're arguing with the invisible man

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No one will.

And that's great. It'll mean there will be one journalist that actually has to dig for a story and maybe, just maybe hold someone to account instead of protecting people just so their own job is a breeze.

Of course they will.

Presumably the leaking of the story came about because someone in a position of seniority knew about it and was deeply unhappy that it had taken place.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course they will.

Presumably the leaking of the story came about because someone in a position of seniority knew about it and was deeply unhappy that it had taken place.
Yeah, it's not like TD was grabbing his morning coffee and bumped into Eddie on a Zoom call

There's also a non-zero chance that Eddie leaked it himself to keep up the theme of pulling all the attention away from players.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Yeah, it's not like TD was grabbing his morning coffee and bumped into Eddie on a Zoom call

There's also a non-zero chance that Eddie leaked it himself to keep up the theme of pulling all the attention away from players.
I mean it's totally believable that Eddie was just wandering around telling all the players and rugby au people that he was gunning for a new job somewhere else a couple of days before the flight. /S

The only people that would have known about this call are Eddie and the Japanese.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I mean it's totally believable that Eddie was just wandering around telling all the players and rugby au people that he was gunning for a new job somewhere else a couple of days before the flight. /S

The only people that would have known about this call are Eddie and the Japanese.
Not what I said.

I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that there is a very, very, very slim chance (hence non-zero) that Eddie pushed the story through whatever channels to TD in a bid to keep the media coverage to himself, shifting the lens off the players. That has been Eddie's MO when it comes to the media, both in his current tenure and historically.

If that happened, it's of course quite short-sighted in terms of possible impacts to morale, etc. - but hey, we on here and the media are talking about Eddie just as much, if not more, than the players...

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Not what I said.

I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that there is a very, very, very slim chance (hence non-zero) that Eddie pushed the story through whatever channels to TD in a bid to keep the media coverage to himself, shifting the lens off the players. That has been Eddie's MO when it comes to the media, both in his current tenure and historically.

If that happened, it's of course quite short-sighted in terms of possible impacts to morale, etc. - but hey, we on here and the media are talking about Eddie just as much, if not more, than the players...
You get banned from this forum if you talk about the players.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
He was saying he would win the RWC - to now only backtrack and say he is looking ahead at lions tours and rwc so is he now admitting he was never going to win or only covering up his diabolical performance
Wait wait wait. Did you actually think we could win the World Cup with the playing squad we had LOL????

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that there is a very, very, very slim chance (hence non-zero) that Eddie pushed the story through whatever channels to TD in a bid to keep the media coverage to himself, shifting the lens off the players.
I don't think its ridiculous either, although not for that reason. My tinfoil take - and I don't believe this in the cold light of day - is that he was trying to show the powers that be that he still has options open if they don't push through centralisation/other structural changes in Australian Rugby. And I have no doubt he certainly has certain desires for changes in the structure of our game, as you would hope he does.

But if that was his strategy, its certainly blown up in his face because now everyone just wants him to leave anyway.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think Eddie has been proven to be full of it at this point.

In his first presser he said "mate there's no long term", which i found refreshing as Im not one to agree that you need 4 years to 'prepare' for a WC and nor should you be devoting that much energy to it. You should probably start thinking seriously about at the stard of the season in the year before. Anything before that you should be in win-next-test mode, IMO. Granted, Eddie did have that year before and as a result I thought a par result would be winning 3 pool matches and losing in the quarters.

But it's clear to me that he said that as he still thought he could succeed this year. When it became clear he couldn't, suddenly now you need to make 6 year plans for world cups, and this year was always gonna be painful and what-are-you-all-fucking-complaining-about-you-will-see-in-four-years'-time-that-it-was-all-worth-it.

Isn't part of his supposed public appeal that he's frank and not full of it? How is the above consistent with that and not just the work of a clown? We had a clown and got burnt by that, too (MC). Wasn't Rennie's limited public exposure and lack of clown ability actually quite attractive, or at least just as good? Do we really need the coach clowning in the media? McLennan wants the coach to have national profile but maybe he shouldn't if it's going to be arguing with the media before you get manshamed on a global stage?

As for his side this tournament, they were playing like a team that didn't even have a coach. No certainty in direction, poor captaincy, no exploitation of reffereeing indiosyncracies and no ability to change up based on the circumstances of the match. What the fuck was he actually doing exactly?

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Eddie is one problem with a straight forward fix. Here is the real problem. The people who set Ireland and Scotland on the way to improvement across the board and even helped to upskill NZ players are not being listened to or respected. The old boys club! And they are Australian. Why are they not organising our programs????

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Eddie is one problem with a straight forward fix. Here is the real problem. The people who set Ireland and Scotland on the way to improvement across the board and even helped to upskill NZ players are not being listened to or respected. The old boys club! And they are Australian. Why are they not organising our programs????

It's a weird one isn't it. How do you tell an organisation made entirely of toffs that their very nature is at the root of its systemic failure?

Covid feels like a sliding doors moment - back when we were seriously considering unwinding the entire professional system and, in theory, setting rugby back decades. Probably should have done it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I’ve been a proponent of cutting Super Rugby teams but happy to listen to more knowledgeable people like Bryne given that they have a plan to get the Super Rugby sides up to a competitive standard.

That is really the ideal solution.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
“Already existing evidence” - Oh, you mean the world record 22 consecutive test wins, numerous 6 nations, 2 World Cup finals, beating South Africa with Japan. Yeah he’s a real failure alright

And the worst pool is clearly pool D ffs, Argentina are atrocious and will get to a QB by default