• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure if anyone listens to the rugby pod but Jim, Andy (hates Eddie) and Andy were all separately saying they thought it looked like Eddie had lost the dressing room.
I'll be honest, "losing the dressing room" is my least favourite saying in any sport. It is pretty trite analysis that in my experience very rarely happens and is a substitute for not being arsed to do proper analysis. I don't know how you get that impression from a performance, there are many many things that go into a performance. Like - yes, it could be the case. But we'd be getting reports about discontent and rumblings from inside camp IMO, of which there have been none. See France in 2011 World Cup, Spanish Women's team in most recent Football World Cup - that to me, is losing a dressing room.

Also, Andy Goode has a pretty weird hate boner for Eddie. Which is ironic because he is one of the least likeable personalities in Rugby. Don't mind Jim though, he seems like a good bloke.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll be honest, "losing the dressing room" is my least favourite saying in any sport. It is pretty trite analysis that in my experience very rarely happens and is a substitute for not being arsed to do proper analysis. I don't know how you get that impression from a performance, there are many many things that go into a performance. Like - yes, it could be the case. But we'd be getting reports about discontent and rumblings from inside camp IMO, of which there have been none. See France in 2011 World Cup, Spanish Women's team in most recent Football World Cup - that to me, is losing a dressing room.

Also, Andy Goode has a pretty weird hate boner for Eddie. Which is ironic because he is one of the least likeable personalities in Rugby. Don't mind Jim though, he seems like a good bloke.
The current Wallabies remind me of the Brisbane Broncos with Anthony Seibold. Comes in barrelling through the doors with a 'this is how we do it' mentality and it hasn't worked so then the coaches ego isn't tolerable anymore.

You can definitely lose the confidence of your playing group. I'm sure a lot of people in here have been in a team or workplace that has lost faith in a leader, boss or coach. You can still do the job but you're not going as well as you could be. When we are talking international Rugby if they at 5% off because of this its enough to be bundled out in the Pools of a WC.

It was a swing by RA that missed.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The current Wallabies remind me of the Brisbane Broncos with Anthony Seibold. Comes in barrelling through the doors with a 'this is how we do it' mentality and it hasn't worked so then the coaches ego isn't tolerable anymore.

You can definitely lose the confidence of your playing group. I'm sure a lot of people in here have been in a team or workplace that has lost faith in a leader, boss or coach. You can still do the job but you're not going as well as you could be. When we are talking international Rugby if they at 5% off because of this its enough to be bundled out in the Pools of a WC.

It was a swing by Rugby Australia McLennan that missed.
FIFY

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Yeah can certainly lose confidence. I just think that people go "oh he's lost the dressing room, the players hate him, that's why we lost" etc etc. When reality is more complex than that. I also just don't think that's what's occurred here. For me, the super narrative of the Wallabies World Cup, from their perspective, is:
1. Come in with a bit of confidence, but less than they'd have liked.
2. Beat Georgia, feel a bit better.
3. Get rumbled by Fiji who were far too good, didn't have the ability to adapt quick enough without experience.
4. Go into a high pressure match against a very experienced team who play the perfect game plan to put our young 'uns under pressure, we crumble.
5. Depressed for a meaningless game v Georgia.

In total, I haven't really assessed the Wallabies as losing confidence in Eddie. I've assessed them as being incapable of handling pressure. So, still Eddie's fault - he picked players who every man and their dog could tell you wouldn't handle pressure - just for a slightly different reason.

The Seibold comp is an interesting one - remembering that he was one of Eddie's assistants at England.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Completely forgot about that. Like minded coaches potentially.

It's a bit of an issue though when it comes to a national team as opposed to a Club as you can't just clean out and start again as this is meant to be our best group. Big ask to bring the majority of them back next RC and have them not expect the same.

Age/experience was major factor also. They could be rattled and not drag the momentum back

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah can certainly lose confidence. I just think that people go "oh he's lost the dressing room, the players hate him, that's why we lost" etc etc. When reality is more complex than that. I also just don't think that's what's occurred here. For me, the super narrative of the Wallabies World Cup, from their perspective, is:
1. Come in with a bit of confidence, but less than they'd have liked.
2. Beat Georgia, feel a bit better.
3. Get rumbled by Fiji who were far too good, didn't have the ability to adapt quick enough without experience.
4. Go into a high pressure match against a very experienced team who play the perfect game plan to put our young 'uns under pressure, we crumble.
5. Depressed for a meaningless game v Georgia.

In total, I haven't really assessed the Wallabies as losing confidence in Eddie. I've assessed them as being incapable of handling pressure. So, still Eddie's fault - he picked players who every man and their dog could tell you wouldn't handle pressure - just for a slightly different reason.

The Seibold comp is an interesting one - remembering that he was one of Eddie's assistants at England.
I think you definitely can lose confidence in your leader. It doesn’t necessarily mean there’s hatred etc but you feel the game plan and systems and overall how you are trying to achieve your goal doesn’t seem to make sense nor be resulting in results and you can see that in real time. As a result you start questioning and you are off in execution and if everyone is a little off, the team is very off especially against an opposition who are playing to a coherent game plan with belief and trust.
For me the original sin is the coaching squad that has been assembled. I can’t say if Eddie would be better with a better staff but he has an objectively odd and inexperienced squad.
Will be interesting to see the results of the view.
I think Andy hates him cause he think Eddie is all talk and hot air and it’s all bullshit and fell to shit in the back half of his England tenure.
Inthink this review by RA will reveal what the issues are. I hope it’s squad inexperience and staff inexperience and Eddie can get in a better staff

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We can name teams and suggest players until the cows come home - fact is we really need to wait and see Super Rugby form.

The big question I have is who will be assistant coaches? I expect Eddie to stay but assume he will sweep clean. Palmer is gone. I think Ryles is gone? Does he have an NRL gig to go to? Hodgson must be gone. The French dud will likely go.

So almost a sweep clean. I suspect there will be some available coaches (assistant coaches) post RWC so let's see if any end up with Eddie.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Regardless, you'd assume the review of the campaign will involve an assessment of the player-coach relationship and whether it is tenable long-term. So the truth will out one way or another.
I am Hoping they start with Eddie then move onto the coaching group and finally the players. If I was there, I would want as many views as possible on this total disaster and all done one on one with no recordings.
Regardless Eddie must go!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We can name teams and suggest players until the cows come home - fact is we really need to wait and see Super Rugby form.

The big question I have is who will be assistant coaches? I expect Eddie to stay but assume he will sweep clean. Palmer is gone. I think Ryles is gone? Does he have an NRL gig to go to? Hodgson must be gone. The French dud will likely go.

So almost a sweep clean. I suspect there will be some available coaches (assistant coaches) post RWC so let's see if any end up with Eddie.
Are we realistically going to end up with anyone half decent? Anyone coming in would have to a) work with Eddie and b) work for RA.

Not exactly enticing.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For me the original sin is the coaching squad that has been assembled. I can’t say if Eddie would be better with a better staff but he has an objectively odd and inexperienced squad.
Will be interesting to see the results of the view.
I think Andy hates him cause he think Eddie is all talk and hot air and it’s all bullshit and fell to shit in the back half of his England tenure.
Certainly agree. It's no coincidence that the best years of Eddie's career after he first left Australia (2011-2015 w Japan, 2016-2019 w England) were whilst he had Borthwick & Wisemantel besides him, and they stayed their for a long time. I've said this before but so much of Eddie's performance comes back to his contract for me. If you give him lots of rope to burn through resources so he can find a tiny perceived marginal gain somewhere, he will take that rope and manage to hang himself with it. He needs strict KPIs so he takes the short-term seriously, and can't be allowed to churn through staff wherever he sees fit.

I think Andy Goode is all hot air and bullshit funnily enough. I'd take Eddie over him any day of the week - the worst kind of Pom.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Surely (?) The Randwick dud has to go ...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely (?) The Randwick dud has to go ...
McLennan's ego and RA's empty bank account say no.

Edit: it seems likely that unless Eddie quits, we have four more years of him. Regardless of results.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
McLennan's ego and Rugby Australia's empty bank account say no.

Lot of decisions how to deal with Eddie involve fantasy money…

I’d rather pay another top player than keep Eddie on the books whilst bringing in a new coach to take over wallabies

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
So after Monday morning we will about 9 months before our next test

assuming
July v Wales
@Suncorp
@Aami Park
@Alianz

RC
2 game tour to arg
v RSA Alianz/Suncorp
v RSA (does anyone know where this one is contacted to?)
v NZ Alianz/Suncorp & Eden Park

its going to be a long year
I thought all Sydney AB games were contracted to Hombush

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
McLennan's ego and Rugby Australia's empty bank account say no.
Need to remove B1 to get to B2

073X78fx_o.png

Spill the board