• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure why anyone even thinks Eddie is at riak of losing job, I strongly suspect all will be exactly same at the top of all things in Rugby Australia over the next few years.
If we were better under Rennie, which we can agree on, then why would you think Eddie is the long term answer?

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Action over mouth is what Australian Rugby needs. But most people don't seem to get that. Most people fool for the politician type coaches who are all talk and full of excuses.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We need another coach, Jones will never bring put the best of his players. You want a coach who will turn average players into good players.
The coach needs to take them back to basics and raise them from there into good players, with a strong foundation on defence, breakdown work, scrum, maul and lineout with speed combined with catching passing and off loading. Then they can become a strong team again.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
We haven't had a smooth transition in coach since Maqueen > Jones after the 2001 lions series

I don't think sacking him will yield good results in the future

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If we were better under Rennie, which we can agree on, then why would you think Eddie is the long term answer?
I don't mate, but really think things at RA in all levels will remain as they are for forseeable future. Hamish seems to be running things as he wants, and he not going to say he's made a mistake in taking Eddie on, even if he thinks so. Apart from anything RA probably can't afford the payout?

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Isn't playing on the line and playing what's in front of you exactly what Gordon and Tate have been doing? I've never really perceived the attacking game plan under Eddie to be "just hoof it". We seem to play heads up footy a lot off 9 and 10, lots of different shapes appearing in different phases. Of course we kick it if we're going nowhere - please point me to a single test team in the World that just bashes the line without any go forward. There has certainly been some moronic kicking on the front foot, but from memory most of it has been from either White or Petaia.

As I've said before, I don't think the attacking game plan has been a huge issue. Our 'gameplan' problems have been at breakdown (lack of connection) and on D, which has been fucking woeful. Hodgson needs to go.
Have to disagree with that. Gordon appeared to have almost no autonomy, any ball he got he just dutifully shovelled to Kerevi or occassionaly someone else to truck up. We never presented him with multiple running options and rarely even played out the back. Watch the Rebels attack from earlier in the year to see an example of an attack with some variation and complexity to it (they just didn't have many weapons).

Once the trucking failed and generally within 3 phases we'd kick a contestable. this worked once vs The All Blacks when Marky n had a blinder and outside of that we looked incredibly pedestrian.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Isn't playing on the line and playing what's in front of you exactly what Gordon and Tate have been doing? I've never really perceived the attacking game plan under Eddie to be "just hoof it". We seem to play heads up footy a lot off 9 and 10, lots of different shapes appearing in different phases. Of course we kick it if we're going nowhere - please point me to a single test team in the World that just bashes the line without any go forward. There has certainly been some moronic kicking on the front foot, but from memory most of it has been from either White or Petaia.

As I've said before, I don't think the attacking game plan has been a huge issue. Our 'gameplan' problems have been at breakdown (lack of connection) and on D, which has been fucking woeful. Hodgson needs to go.
Gordon was playing extremely deep in his RC games this year and in the early RWC games when he started. As far as I could see it was completely out of sync with the way he played for the Rebels. I'm sure any number of Rebels fans here could verify that.

I agree the defence has been terrible but largely the attack under Jones has been no better. All of White, Petaia, Donaldson, Fines-Leleiwasa and Gordon were guilty of kicking when running the ball was a better option especially in the attacking half and with so many offending it most likely was following a misguided direction from Jones.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Gordon was playing extremely deep in his RC games this year and in the early RWC games when he started. As far as I could see it was completely out of sync with the way he played for the Rebels. I'm sure any number of Rebels fans here could verify that.

I agree the defence has been terrible but largely the attack under Jones has been no better. All of White, Petaia, Donaldson, Fines-Leleiwasa and Gordon were guilty of kicking when running the ball was a better option especially in the attacking half and with so many offending it most likely was following a misguided direction from Jones.
I go to all the Rebels games and one of the reasons Gordon looked so good is that he plays up in the line and probes the defense. For the Wallabies he is always sitting deep and shoveling to a one off runner. He has a tendency to want to run the ball and look for holes to either go through himself or hit a runner in the gap. He has really good vision and reads the game well, Deans would have loved him.
Eddie wants the 10 playing deep and playing a territory game he is not the right player for that style. It is playing directly to his weaknesses not his strengths.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You've got to consider that the pressure and quality of opposition are pretty different between Super Rugby and test rugby.

He's not necessarily standing a lot deeper because he's been told to but because he's not comfortable being closer. The defence is on him faster, he's got less time to react and the pressure and expectations are significantly higher.

There's a reason Super Rugby looks a lot faster and looser than test rugby. Teams score and concede more points. It's also not like it was a dominant strategy at Super Rugby level. Sure he looked good and scored/setup some great tries but his team also didn't win overly often and shipped lots of points.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
The coach needs to take them back to basics and raise them from there into good players, with a strong foundation on defence, breakdown work, scrum, maul and lineout with speed combined with catching passing and off loading. Then they can become a strong team again.
So, a strong foundation of everything in Rugby? Sounds easy

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Gauging opinion - does anyone care that Eddie is rude to journos?

There are plenty of reasons to take issue with him. Personally, I like the guy a lot. However, it's subjective, I won't tell anybody they're wrong for not liking him and I can't be arsed to get into an argument about it. But I can't emphasise how low him being rude to journalists ranks on my list of reasons you might not like him. So many of them talk absolute rubbish, and clearly don't know what they're talking about - that's not all, to be clear - but the vast majority serve up dribble that is lower quality than much you read on this forum.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
You've got to consider that the pressure and quality of opposition are pretty different between Super Rugby and test rugby.

He's not necessarily standing a lot deeper because he's been told to but because he's not comfortable being closer. The defence is on him faster, he's got less time to react and the pressure and expectations are significantly higher.

There's a reason Super Rugby looks a lot faster and looser than test rugby. Teams score and concede more points. It's also not like it was a dominant strategy at Super Rugby level. Sure he looked good and scored/setup some great tries but his team also didn't win overly often and shipped lots of points.
Yes, test rugby is faster and tougher than Super rugby against Tier one nations. That is simply not true when playing against the Georgia's of this world and yet he still played deep. Him playing deep is almost certainly an aspect of the game plan and not how he wants to play or plays best.

I would also state that it is far easier to look good playing for a good team than it does playing for a poor team and you seem to be suggesting the opposite.