• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm aware in the culture of rugby the tiers are sort of a real thing but is Italy actually a tier 1 country?
How are Italy Tier 1

- Woden spoon in 18/24 6N and 11 wins in 24 campaigns
- Never been to a WC QF (Fiji 3)
- Never beat NZ, England etc. (only Aus & SA once)
- 36% win rate

Clearly a Tier 2 nation if I've ever seen one

I also definitely wouldn't count Japan as Tier 1, just the current Top 10

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How are Italy Tier 1

- 36% win rate

Because the 5 nations wanted a 6th nation for money. That's it, it's the only reason. By any metric they aren't one, and they only serve to highlight the silly arbitrariness of the Tiers.

They also highlight that just calling a team Tier 1 does nothing for development, nor does simply playing more games against other Tier 1 teams. You actually need to invest into the quality of the Rugby programs and the growth of the game in the country.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah - we finally had relief from the petulance and childishness when Cheika's reign of terror ended only to be served up EJs steaming turd nuggets.

His annoying schtick might work when he's managing a half decent team but when he's taking a tier 1 side down to tier 2 in the space of 8 short games it's thoroughly unpalatable.
His schtick isn’t even funny anymore- it’s just become weird and apart from Hamish chuckling on his boat, isn’t really doing a lot for people.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gauging opinion - does anyone care that Eddie is rude to journos?

There are plenty of reasons to take issue with him. Personally, I like the guy a lot. However, it's subjective, I won't tell anybody they're wrong for not liking him and I can't be arsed to get into an argument about it. But I can't emphasise how low him being rude to journalists ranks on my list of reasons you might not like him. So many of them talk absolute rubbish, and clearly don't know what they're talking about - that's not all, to be clear - but the vast majority serve up dribble that is lower quality than much you read on this forum.
There is no need for it and it is bad for the image of the game. It would not matter so much if he backed it up with results but he has not. He has promised the Bled and the RWC this year, both extremely unrealistic goals and he gets into public stoushers with the NRL whenever he can. There is no need for any of it and it just gives him and the game at the Wallaby level even less credibility.
Best to talk with actions and results not false bravado.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There is no need for it and it is bad for the image of the game. It would not matter so much if he backed it up with results but he has not. He has promised the Bled and the RWC this year, both extremely unrealistic goals and he gets into public stoushers with the NRL whenever he can. There is no need for any of it and it just gives him and the game at the Wallaby level even less credibility.
Fair enough. I always find him funny I won't lie, but accept it looks pretty shite when he's not winning and definitely understand why it is so aggravating for some.

I suppose I have just read a few articles recently making out that I should feel sorry for the journalists who are on the receiving end. And I couldn't really give a stuff about them.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I always find this argument bizarre

Is he supposed to get up there and say his team has no show?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How are Italy Tier 1

- 36% win rate

I also definitely wouldn't count Japan as Tier 1, just the current Top 10

It possibly isn't clear. The term originates in description of World Rugby voting rights. Getting tier 1 voting is political based on your strength within world rugby.

What is being missed a lot here, is that the term "tier 1" is alternatively used as a describer of traditional and current rugby performance. Australia has tier 1 voting rights, but it is hard to argue that EDIT we the Wallabies are currently "tier 1" in terms of performance.

There are two different discussions happening here with cross over confusion.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Eddie has talked the talked and completely failed to walk the walk
Mentioned we would win bled cup and rugby champs only to not win a game and come out saying these games didn’t matter only the RWC
Failed in the rwc only so say he is building to the future
He had a squad to make the Qf and potentially Semi final only to break records of the first wallabies coach never to make the finals
He has the worst record for a wallabies coach for a season

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mentioned we would win bled cup and rugby champs only to not win a game and come out saying these games didn’t matter only the RWC
He had a squad to make the Qf and potentially Semi final only to break records of the first wallabies coach never to make the finals
Bang on, but he's likely staying to the Lions at least

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes but there were some nice close losses in there!
Against a poor Argentina side at home, an All Blacks B team (that will likely lose in the QF) and to Fiji (who are very over-hyped & over-rated and I think will get thrashed in the QF)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Eddie this year has won 2 out of 9 = 22% win record
Rennie in 2000 won 1 out of 6 = 17% win record.