• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm afraid I'm just not in the Eddie Jones 'lets pick a team for 2027' camp. As far as I'm concerned, you try to win every test you play, and one of the crucial aspects of that is to pick the best possible team available. Wallaby jumpers mustn't be 'every child player wins a prize', every player must earn them, and on every occasion that means they must be part of the best 23 we can deliver.
I know some of you will argue against this concept, quite frankly I don't care and won't waste everyone else's time by going back and forth to argue the point. But for mine, if Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is the best winger we have for any given test in 2024, he gets picked, if not he doesn't, end of story. Shout me down all you like, don't care.
I don't think anyone was or is genuinely in the building-to-27 camp. Including Eddie. He only started on with that after it became clear that 23 was a failure, and therefore best characterised as capitalised to the balance sheet rather than expensed through the income statement. It's pretty rudimentary pro sports administrator/coach rhetoric, calling failed years investments. You see it in America every year as people seek to protect their jobs.

In his first presser as HC he said "there's no long-term, mate" in response to a question about rebuilding. He was also confident we could win the 23 RWC

The whole 'you need 5 years' thing was never mentioned before it became clear that 23 was a bust.

Last edited:

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The whole building for the future thing also mistakes that, in my experience, the best way to win in the future is to win in the present. Its difficult to establish a winning environment when you are constantly losing. If you picked a team for 2027 in 2024 and played them for four years, they would probably struggle to grow as they wouldn't win. Ironically enough I think Eddie when he first came into England was a good example of that - older players such as Robshaw and Haskell were key pieces of his early England teams, despite the fact they almost certainly wouldn't play in 2019.

That doesn't mean you completely ignore your future - but IMO it has to be done carefully and strategically, without undermining your abilities in the short-term. My personal view is you should always pick your best XV, and build depth through your bench. Injuries will necessarily present you opportunities to blood new players in the starting line-up. The only exception to that rule is your halves combo, where I think it is worth persevering for the long-term a little bit more as every player in those positions bar the absolute freaks (the Dupont's and Carter's of the world) requires a bit of settling time.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The whole building for the future thing also mistakes that, in my experience, the best way to win in the future is to win in the present. Its difficult to establish a winning environment when you are constantly losing. If you picked a team for 2027 in 2024 and played them for four years, they would probably struggle to grow as they wouldn't win. Ironically enough I think Eddie when he first came into England was a good example of that - older players such as Robshaw and Haskell were key pieces of his early England teams, despite the fact they almost certainly wouldn't play in 2019.

That doesn't mean you completely ignore your future - but IMO it has to be done carefully and strategically, without undermining your abilities in the short-term. My personal view is you should always pick your best XV, and build depth through your bench. Injuries will necessarily present you opportunities to blood new players in the starting line-up. The only exception to that rule is your halves combo, where I think it is worth persevering for the long-term a little bit more as every player in those positions bar the absolute freaks (the Dupont's and Carter's of the world) requires a bit of settling time.
Fantastic post.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Matt Giteau Wallaby 10 2024 using his own rule.

Playing for San Diego.

Bloke is absolutely sick for it.

How much would he be getting? Not knocking the bloke but is he drowning in debt or something?

I believe (happy to be corrected) that his last official season of pro rugby in 2022 was essentially a write off because he was so busted up and couldn’t play.

Great passion obviously but at 42yr olds next year and already being held together by glue and strapping tape, maybe it’s time to hang it up.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
How much would he be getting? Not knocking the bloke but is he drowning in debt or something?

I believe (happy to be corrected) that his last official season of pro rugby in 2022 was essentially a write off because he was so busted up and couldn’t play.

Great passion obviously but at 42yr olds next year and already being held together by glue and strapping tape, maybe it’s time to hang it up.
What a shit take. It's a park league. He had o0ne serious injury that ruled him out for the year but the bloke is a renowned elite trainer. Why not have a crac? Would be less than 100k I'd say for 5 months work

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah it’s park footy for bloke with his Rugby brain. You see those old pros pick apart Club games and he’s a good bit of PR for the league and San Diego had Nonu & Robshaw in the past so they like getting a name in there.

I reckon he just loves it and wants to be involved in the game as much as possible. Was coaching with Gungahlin in the JID last year. Beats a real job. Doesn’t seem like a dope. Feel like he’d be sorted financially.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah it’s park footy for bloke with his Rugby brain. You see those old pros pick apart Club games and he’s a good bit of PR for the league and San Diego had Nonu & Robshaw in the past so they like getting a name in there.

I reckon he just loves it and wants to be involved in the game as much as possible. Was coaching with Gungahlin in the JID last year. Beats a real job. Doesn’t seem like a dope. Feel like he’d be sorted financially.
Dude is rich as hell and playing games for pocket money. I'd take it.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gits as an elite trainer - Most top trainers in teams I have been playing for have been on the smaller side.

When I was playing in South Africa our trainer got sick or injured and we had an old bloke of 67 take over for 4 weeks, on the first night he had us do 4 exercises 10x each then start again. He did it with us until the only guy standing was our 9, who was buggered, and him, "NOt very fit are you he said", he was shorter than our half back.
The lesson was you can always be fitter than you think.