• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) the clear stand out. Skelton, Valetini and Marika were all middling at best.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If its Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) who wins then rig the system against him.. don't give it to Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) the year he has signed with the NRL, it'll be a big circle jerk for NRL journos and turn a positive publicity event into another embarrassment for rugby.

Last edited:

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
So the trailer for the World Cup documentary is out. The impression a neutral party would get from the trailer is definitely different from what they would think if they watched the entirety of the World Cup campaign.

Do we think the actual documentary will pull punches or will it give us warts and all?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agree 100% on Hooper.
This can now be confusing as we've had 2 completely different Hoopers playing 7 for the Wobs in the past two seasons. I think this was in reference to M Hooper but I've also recently read some comments re the suitability of T Hooper to the role.

The jury is certainly out on the bigger bodied #7, however I think as no one locked down the number #6 jersey we can probably put an asterisk next to T Hooper, and probably bracketed with Leota, for this position in the preliminary team selections, I think it's clear he is much more suited to the blind side of the scrum. McReight was the stand out open side last season, but if Schmidt is going to persist with a bigger body for the open side role I think the skill set of a #8 is more suited. Thus, in this instance we could see Gleeson or Wilson here.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure it was reference to Tom Hooper who has played some 7 for the Brumbies - albeit as Slim pointed out not in the manner we normally associate with a 7 - but he does have an on-ball game.

The discussion is really what do we want from our backrow as a cohort and then how does each player fit into that. And whether the traditional Aussie smaller 7 is no longer viable at test level

I agree McReight is the standout choice as a ‘traditional’ Aussie 7. Even if he gets blown off a lot of rucks he still slows a lot down, is a generally accurate defender and is an excellent link between forwards and backs.

If we go for a bigger player I think it’s a matter of what the other two players bring. I don’t think, for example Wilson would work with T Hooper/Holloway/Leota & Valetini. Gleeson maybe, but I’m not convinced. He is really only just going into his second full Super season so let’s see how he progresses this year. Gamble maybe or Wright or Anstee - three players who all play on the ball would be a more viable option IMO.

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can't really see Gleeson as a Wallaby 7 option, he's still only played a couple of 80 minute games at super Rugby level and Coleman has mentioned that fitness as something he's still working on. He'll likely get there in time, but I think that's going to take a season or two more at least.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's a ball carrier who can put a shot on. Just a bonus he's not bad on the ball but so should all the backrowers if they want to be considered top tier.

Not a 7 though and I don't think he will even get time in the 7 for the Tahs even if Gamble got hurt.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think we can discount Tom Hooper as a 7 for the Wallabies. He has a huge frame and looked completely at ease in his rightful spot at Lock on the weekend, though he is likely to still also be in the mix for the 6 spot. At the Brumbies, there are plenty of options for the 7 spot in Brown, Reimer, Scott, Lachlan Hooper and maybe even Cale. I doubt we'll see Tom in that role again.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty sure it was reference to Tom Hooper who has played some 7 for the Brumbies - albeit as Slim pointed out not in the manner we normally associate with a 7 - but he does have an on-ball game.

The discussion is really what do we want from our backrow as a cohort and then how does each player fit into that. And whether the traditional Aussie smaller 7 is no longer viable at

I agree McReight is the standout choice as a ‘traditional’ Aussie 7. Even if he gets blown off a lot of rucks he still slows a lot down, is a generally accurate defender and is an excellent link between forwards and backs.

If we go for a bigger player I think it’s a matter of what the other two players bring. I don’t think, for example Wilson would work with T Hooper/Holloway/Leota & Valetini. Gleeson maybe, but I’m not convinced. He is really only just going into his second full Super season so let’s see how he progresses this year. Gamble maybe or Wright or Anstee - three players who all play on the ball would be a more viable option IMO.
yes, I was just thinking out loud really. Liam Wright or Wilkin could be the most conservative options outside McReight.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s really something that isn’t feasible with Brumbies list management. At the moment he’s presumably Brumbies 1 or 2 ranked Hooker and, as BR points out above, they have a host of good 7s. Doesn’t make any sense for them to try and convert him (and it’s not like his ability to pilfer is being wasted at 2).

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)