• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Good to see some good quality rugby humans back in the setup.
The previous set up was bizarre. I'm sure he's a good bloke but Brett Hogson for example??

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Haven't heard anything about him. I'm assuming he's not with RA anymore...

Probably around a NSW Cup side waiting for a gig to open up. Not the greatest timing to be looking as a coach when pre season would have started. Could end up back in Super League where he has a fair history as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The previous set up was bizarre. I'm sure he's a good bloke but Brett Hogson for example??

Among many issues, this was one of the biggest with the timing of the Eddie Jones appointment. Your choices of assistant coaches is incredibly limited if you're a) hiring out of schedule and b) because you're hiring out of schedule you don't want to make long term commitments to those people.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Among many issues, this was one of the biggest with the timing of the Eddie Jones appointment. Your choices of assistant coaches is incredibly limited if you're a) hiring out of schedule and b) because you're hiring out of schedule you don't want to make long term commitments to those people.
Should also include the fact he was known to be incredibly hard to work for, and had a proven record of churning through assistants. Not exactly heaps of people breaking down his door

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Exactly, I'm kinda surprised Fisher came back, to be honest; I thought when he quit the Brumbies and left out of the Wallabies, he was going to be done with it and would move into what he's doing now, helping coaches, 7's and just being a roving consultant.

I feel he and Larkham aren't that close (I could be very wrong here), and obviously, he and Eddie don't get along. But I'm glad he's involved. I hope the results are better than Rennie's shift.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
A big reason why Eddie shouldn’t have been employed. Surely a fair question to ask him in his interview was “ Who are your support coaches”? Jason Ryles as a rugby ‘Attack’ coach…… beyond belief really. One of the Ella boys should have helped out at last minute…. Slightly more knowledge of back play than Ryles, with all due respect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A big reason why Eddie shouldn’t have been employed. Surely a fair question to ask him in his interview was “ Who are your support coaches”? Jason Ryles as a rugby ‘Attack’ coach…… beyond belief really.

The timing was the problem. It didn't matter who they were putting in at that point.

Who knows whether Eddie would have worked out if they'd just stuck to the planned schedule of Rennie seeing out his contract to the RWC and then we bring in Eddie Jones in 2024 on a regular cycle.

I don't think the assistant coaches were necessarily the issue. At that late hour you're not hiring an assistant coach to bring in their own schemes and plans, you're hiring them to implement your existing plan etc. They're professional coaches and even though a lot of their experience is from rugby league, to a large degree, coaching is coaching. They obviously understand the game.

Eddie Jones has always been known as being very controlling. His assistants are always going to be hired to implement his plan.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It did seem limited to those in his phone book who were unemployed

Last edited by a moderator:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The timing was the problem. It didn't matter who they were putting in at that point.

Who knows whether Eddie would have worked out if they'd just stuck to the planned schedule of Rennie seeing out his contract to the RWC and then we bring in Eddie Jones in 2024 on a regular cycle.

I don't think the assistant coaches were necessarily the issue. At that late hour you're not hiring an assistant coach to bring in their own schemes and plans, you're hiring them to implement your existing plan etc. They're professional coaches and even though a lot of their experience is from rugby league, to a large degree, coaching is coaching. They obviously understand the game.

Eddie Jones has always been known as being very controlling. His assistants are always going to be hired to implement his plan.
True, but getting the right assistants to implement your plan is helpful - eg getting a Half to be the maul coach - not sure that's the right fit.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
True, but getting the right assistants to implement your plan is helpful - eg getting a Half to be the maul coach - not sure that's the right fit.
Hell, even putting the experienced assistants you have in the roles they're experienced in would've been a step up - Dan Palmer was coaching line out instead of scrum, Brad Davis was coaching attack instead of defence when he was there.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Very pleased with both appointments. Eoin an excellent practicioner, does a lot of good stuff for Irish websites if you follow his socials.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hell, even putting the experienced assistants you have in the roles they're experienced in would've been a step up - Dan Palmer was coaching line out instead of scrum, Brad Davis was coaching attack instead of defence when he was there.
Yeah - that’s the bit that got me.

Well, one of the many, many things that got me.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
For goodness sake. Eddie was not a result of a timing problem. Wanting Eddie was the reason for the timing problem. RA chose Eddie with all the issues such as assistants thereby creating the timing issue. AND publicised it as a major coup.
This debacle is going to go down in history for the biggest stuff up in Australian rugby's history, if not the world-wide game. Come to think of it, the refusal by the Northern Union not to admit professional players is actually the worst.

Imagine, no rugby league.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
For goodness sake. Eddie was not a result of a timing problem. Wanting Eddie was the reason for the timing problem. RA chose Eddie with all the issues such as assistants thereby creating the timing issue. AND publicised it as a major coup.
I am sympathetic to both cases here. Whilst I subscribe to the to the thesis that the best course of action would have been to keep Rennie until after the RWC, the fact was that pretty much all of his assistants had walked. So it does come down to who was available and willing at the time to a large extent. If someone has the resources to disseminate this information and come up with a coaching team that may have resembled what the Rennie campaign would have looked like I would be interested to see it.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am sympathetic to both cases here. Whilst I subscribe to the to the thesis that the best course of action would have been to keep Rennie until after the RWC, the fact was that pretty much all of his assistants had walked. So it does come down to who was available and willing at the time to a large extent. If someone has the resources to disseminate this information and come up with a coaching team that may have resembled what the Rennie campaign would have looked like I would be interested to see it.
Sorry KOB are you saying that the coaching team abandoned Rennie? And was Eddies handicap?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry KOB are you saying that the coaching team abandoned Rennie? And was Eddies handicap?
I don’t know if abandoned is the right word but most had certainly resigned by the time Rennie got the arse. And it certainly didn’t help Eddie’s cause, but I don’t know who the alternatives were.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Grabbing a coupla unemployed NRL coaches and topping them up with an AFL coach (from Adelaide FFS!) got me. That'll take some beating.
Yeah watching the documentary the AFL coach seemed to be there as a vibe curator for lack of better descriptor.

Atmosphere and team chemistry are important to a good World Cup run, but as an AFL guy I'm not sure he would have the credibility with players needed to be successful in his role. Never mind that Eddie Jones traditionally cultivates a less than pleasant working environment.