• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The AFL guy was the one recruit I thought was a quality addition, maybe not in a direct coaching role but in pathway development and education

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don’t know if abandoned is the right word but most had certainly resigned by the time Rennie got the arse. And it certainly didn’t help Eddie’s cause, but I don’t know who the alternatives were.
KOB I'm sure there would have been sufficient numbers of more qualified coaches and assistant coaches already in the Aussie SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) franchises more than willing to take a role had they been asked - Laurie Fisher for one, but thankfully now he wasn't asked. Of course, the reason they weren't asked probably has some connection to Eddie's anathema to receiving criticism and alternative advice.

The catastrophe that followed Jones' appointment is wholly down to McLennan and Jones himself. There is no blame to be attached to other parties who were not part of the shitshow that Eddie oversaw.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
KOB I'm sure there would have been sufficient numbers of more qualified coaches and assistant coaches already in the Aussie SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) franchises more than willing to take a role had they been asked - Laurie Fisher for one, but thankfully now he wasn't asked. Of course, the reason they weren't asked probably has some connection to Eddie's anathema to receiving criticism and alternative advice.

The catastrophe that followed Jones' appointment is wholly down to McLennan and Jones himself. There is no blame to be attached to other parties who were not part of the shitshow that Eddie oversaw.
Didn’t the board approve of Jones’s appointment? Or not challenge McLennan?

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Didn’t the board approve of Jones’s appointment? Or not challenge McLennan?
Maybe McLennan did it without Board approval. Let us assume that he told Rennie to go and rang Eddie: then he could have presented the Board with a fait accomplit.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Sounds like he was a bully and the board allowed itself to be bullied.
You seemed surprised. Thought that’d been obvious for ages. The comment after the Wales game confirmed everything I already thought. The guy literally said Eddie could have whatever he wanted when he first appointed him. We should’ve twigged then :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bullying is not the word I would use. He showed poor judgement, for sure. With the benefit of hindsight, we have ended up with a good coach.

"Always look on the bright side of life".
Now we just need to work out a way to retain all of our best players after we reduce to four or three SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) teams. There's a lot left to be played out yet in this saga I fear.

The Marketing Pigeon

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thinking about the current make up for the wallabies team and short run into the wales series, hard to go past a 7,8, 9 combo of Mcreight, Wilson and McDermott regardless of how consistent Valentini has been in years past - I’m sure Ben Darwin would agree with the cohesion in these keys areas

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Cohesion, schmohesion. Best 6, 7, 8 at the moment are Valetini, McReight, Leota. I like Wright and think his form this year is deserving of a bench spot. Harry W is in a contest with Gleeson for 3rd best No 8.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Gleeson has had a whale of a game in a losing (so far) side tonight. Breaking tackles and making many metres in attack, and a brick wall in defence including a couple or more try saving efforts.
He played a lot more effectively this week. The Wobs will have a good bunch of backrowers to choose from.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Cohesion, schmohesion. Best 6, 7, 8 at the moment are Valetini, McReight, Leota. I like Wright and think his form this year is deserving of a bench spot. Harry W is in a contest with Gleeson for 3rd best No 8.
Who do you have ahead of Wilson and Gleeson but behind Valetini at 8? I haven't been blown away by Valetini this year.

Early days though.