• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Forward pack for 24
Front row, Bell, BPA, Tupoa
Locks Skelton and Swain
Backrow Valetine, Cale, McRight or Wright (if Schmidt wants a big 7)

Finishers AAA, Faessla, Arnold, Gamble, Swinton. assuming a 5/3 split
Not Cale, Swain, Gamble & Arnold

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
You're all wrong. The team to beat the might of Georgia and Wales is as follows:

1. Bell
2. Faessler
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Uru
7. McReight (c)
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Lolesio
11. Toole
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Kellaway

The bench must contain 3 players who are proficient to cover the 3 front row spots. Who out of Arnold, Gamble and Swinton d7o you see playing LHP. Actually, I probably wouldn't mind seeing Swinton play half a game there but it might be the last we'll ever see him on a rugby ground.
Love McRight as Captain, one of the very few we have who is a natural captain.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The bench must contain 3 players who are proficient to cover the 3 front row spots. Who out of Arnold, Gamble and Swinton d7o you see playing LHP. Actually, I probably wouldn't mind seeing Swinton play half a game there but it might be the last we'll ever see him on a rugby ground.
Didn't know that but it's not at simple as you state although you must have 6 players in the 23 squad who can play front row as you state
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/clarification/2004/2/

Ruling of the designated members of the Rugby Committee

1. The Law states the number of suitably trained and experienced players in the front row who must come from the players who started the match or from the nominated replacements. Therefore designated front row players can come from either the bench or from the original starting fifteen. Replacements must also satisfy Law 3.5 (c) and (d).
NOTE (d) states (d) A replacement front-row player may start the match in another position. So presumably the loose head prop taken off could substitute a tighthead prop.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't know that but it's not at simple as you state although you must have 6 players in the 23 squad who can play front row as you state
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/clarification/2004/2/

Ruling of the designated members of the Rugby Committee

1. The Law states the number of suitably trained and experienced players in the front row who must come from the players who started the match or from the nominated replacements. Therefore designated front row players can come from either the bench or from the original starting fifteen. Replacements must also satisfy Law 3.5 (c) and (d).
NOTE (d) states (d) A replacement front-row player may start the match in another position. So presumably the loose head prop taken off could substitute a tighthead prop.

This I think primarily refers to the small number of situations where a trained front rower may play in another position. Glasgow and ex-Scotland Hooker Fraser Brown for example has played a number of games at 7 for both teams, and this would allow him to play in the front row even if he wasn't one of the "nominated" six front rowers in jerseys 1-3 & 16-18.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep Richie Arnold was up there in contention as Eddie’s worst call and that is saying something

I can’t believe people are already suggesting Lynagh for the wallabies, he cannot defend and his kicks go about 10 metres, needs a lot more time

Now I’m not saying Lynagh is ready for the Wallabies but to call him out on those two elements is just bizarre! I’d suggest those are two of his strengths, alongside his composure.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He isn't crap, but he isn't ready either, he, at the moment, is Edmed standard but with more of an upside
Neither players are ready, but at least Lynagh can kick. Edmed shouldn't be playing Super Rugby with his current kicking game.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I can see Lynagh brought into a Wallaby squad as the 3rd 10. Even if there isn't the intention of him getting a game they'd be silly to not see how he can go as the speed goes up. We also have to invest time into developing players for years down the road. Other sports do this all the time. They bring in someone who is potentially a couple of seasons away from the level but get them exposed and know what's required.

He might be Edmed standard right now, but he's younger and I think this is about the ceiling we'll see from Tane while Lynagh is still in the learning phase.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep Richie Arnold was up there in contention as Eddie’s worst call and that is saying something

I can’t believe people are already suggesting Lynagh for the wallabies, he cannot defend and his kicks go about 10 metres, needs a lot more time
I was thinking of Rory but I guess you have a better player in mind?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not Cale, Swain, Gamble & Arnold
You have to admit that my guesses are as good as anyone's here. My reasoning is I like a forward who shows some aggression as international tight 5 are no shrinking violets. Swinton and Swain over-egged it and have been brought into the controlled aggression line and I think that is excellent.
Gamble is a very talented 7 who is getting better each game after returning from injury, I expect him to be in the squad along with Reimer. it is hard to say who will be a starting 7 out of those 3.
Cale will be our 8 this year he is too talented and too skillful to be left out. Rory Arnold I have addressed above.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Swain only got pinged once on the weekend but late hit someone else off the ball in the back and the hit to Tates head on the ground. He's just potentially given away 9 points and put the team a man down. He's a liability and I don't think he controls it when he sees a chance for it he does it and you can't get away with anything now.

Swinton is more likely to get himself in trouble due to tackle laws and his aggression in wanting to put a shot on. Far more coachable than what Swain gets himself caught up in.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swinton has improved his discipline, Swain still gives me the feeling he is one hot-head move away from a YC or RC, he still gets too caught up in the off-the-ball stuff, i think he is still a liability at test level and will be targeted by international teams as England did.
And look who targeted him, one of the dirtiest locks in test rugby. This game is not for the faint hearted and if you think any tier one team has a tight five who are not too aggressive you are wrong.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swain only got pinged once on the weekend but late hit someone else off the ball in the back and the hit to Tates head on the ground. He's just potentially given away 9 points and put the team a man down. He's a liability and I don't think he controls it when he sees a chance for it he does it and you can't get away with anything now.

Swinton is more likely to get himself in trouble due to tackle laws and his aggression in wanting to put a shot on. Far more coachable than what Swain gets himself caught up in.
Christ! Ghost do you think that most forwards are there because they are non- aggressive, it is just that some are a bit dumb about how they use it and Swain and Swinton are learning how to guide it. If you don't have any aggression then you had better be in the Eales mould of talent or you are going to be run over - which has happened to our forwards more often than not in the last 20 years.
Controlled aggression is the cornerstone of top class tight five play.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Swain was lucky not to be the one yellow carded for VN. Was offside and then killed the ball on the ground when qld had advantage.

It’s a shame as he has some great qualities as a test lock, and having an uncompromising tight 5 player has its appeal. But there’s a difference between uncompromising and dumb.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another point about Swain, he had an excellent game on the weekend and sure he did some dumb stuff but the agression and the talent is there and give me that every day over a tough stuff avoider like Rob Simmonds the best looking lock who played imitation test rugby for years.