• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Neither players are ready, but at least Lynagh can kick. Edmed shouldn't be playing Super Rugby with his current kicking game.
It wasn't meant as a put down, just that both are on the 3rd tier, with Gordon just above on 2nd and Donaldson and Lolesio the two form options at the beginning of April, Donaldson for his ability to play flatter and Lolesio for playing well in the most settled, structured side

Lynagh is looking better that he is IMHO because he is playing in a team with a plan, Edmed is looking worse than he is in a team with no idea, and I still think Harrison has more upside than either as he will play closer to the ad line

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swain was lucky not to be the one yellow carded for VN. Was offside and then killed the ball on the ground when qld had advantage.

It’s a shame as he has some great qualities as a test lock, and having an uncompromising tight 5 player has its appeal. But there’s a difference between uncompromising and dumb.
True Reg but even dumb locks learn as there are always ref penalties and someone tougher than they are, what I cannot countenance is powder puff tight five players who are concerned about getting injured and avoid the tough stuff. If you lack a lot of ticker, better not have ideas about playing above Subbies but even then?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
True Reg but even dumb locks learn as there are always ref penalties and someone tougher than they are, what I cannot countenance is powder puff tight five players who are concerned about getting injured and avoid the tough stuff. If you lack a lot of ticker, better not have ideas about playing above Subbies but even then?
If the alternatives were doormats then sure, bring Swain straight in.
But i don't consider the current alternatives like Frost, Skelton, Arnold etc as 'powderpuffs', in which case his inclusion needs to be measured against the liability that he presents.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No, but the English player didn't get a red-card and miss the rest of the tournament with a ban, whereas Swain did.. there was a clear winner in that exchange and it wasn't Swains aggression.
Oh! So you are one of those guys who prefer a slime bastard over dumb.
This game has some basics in human nature whilst competing as its a high risk game ie a substitute war. If you want to play this game in the forwards then a few attributes are needed, you need to be brave, relatively strong, and determined. The talent bit defines how far you can go.
The ability of the game to turn dumb but brave people into good players who improve as a human has been known since the game was started.
You seem to put no value in that.

Last edited:

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
40 man squad:

1. Bell / Slipper / Hodgman
2. Faesslar / Porecki / Pollard
3. Alaalaatoa / Tupou / Talakai
4. Frost / Uru / Holloway
5. Skelton / Swain / Salakai-Loto
6. Hooper / Leota / Cale
7. McReight / Wright
8. Valetini / Wilson / Gleeson
9. McDermott / Lonergan / White
10. Lolesio / Donaldson / Gordon
11. Toole / Koroibete
12. Kerevi / Paisami / Foketi
13. Ikitau / Flook
14. Petaia / Jorgensen
15. Wright / Kellaway

13 Brumbies
10 Reds
6 Rebels
6 Waratahs
2 Force
3 International

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Christ! Ghost do you think that most forwards are there because they are non- aggressive, it is just that some are a bit dumb about how they use it and Swain and Swinton are learning how to guide it. If you don't have any aggression then you had better be in the Eales mould of talent or you are going to be run over - which has happened to our forwards more often than not in the last 20 years.
Controlled aggression is the cornerstone of top class tight five play.
Swain is showing no signs he's learning how to guide it. I want him to be successful. He has everything else in his game to be elite but with the constant gimmies he WILL give away it can cost matches. They are all aggressive and push it when they can which shows how bad Swain can be that we all notice it. Holloway is a guy that pushes the boundaries with niggle but doesn't break the laws of the game.

Nothing tough or intimidating about pushing in the back or a guy on the ground. I'd bait him every time knowing he'll bite.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It wasn't meant as a put down, just that both are on the 3rd tier, with Gordon just above on 2nd and Donaldson and Lolesio the two form options at the beginning of April, Donaldson for his ability to play flatter and Lolesio for playing well in the most settled, structured side

Lynagh is looking better that he is IMHO because he is playing in a team with a plan, Edmed is looking worse than he is in a team with no idea, and I still think Harrison has more upside than either as he will play closer to the ad line
I get that you don't strictly need your 10 to be a competent kicker out of hand and off the tee at test level as others can fill that role but we really don't have others to fill that role. On that basis I consider Gordon & Edmed to be fighting it out for last place and Lynagh to be a better pick than both.

You can develop a gameplan around a 10 who is nothing but a solid out of hand kicker. Hell - the Springboks have turned that into an art.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swain is showing no signs he's learning how to guide it. I want him to be successful. He has everything else in his game to be elite but with the constant gimmies he WILL give away it can cost matches. They are all aggressive and push it when they can which shows how bad Swain can be that we all notice it. Holloway is a guy that pushes the boundaries with niggle but doesn't break the laws of the game.

Nothing tough or intimidating about pushing in the back or a guy on the ground. I'd bait him every time knowing he'll bite.
His time is just starting Ghost don't bury him until you are sure he's dead!

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
When Swain is on his game he is one of the best locks in the country, but he needs to get through a significant amount of games to prove that he can't be easily baited into giving away dumb penalties...
Yeah! it is easy to be baited and then the rise of 'righteous indignation' that leads to violence. He just needs to learn that is all.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
I get that you don't strictly need your 10 to be a competent kicker out of hand and off the tee at test level as others can fill that role but we really don't have others to fill that role. On that basis I consider Gordon & Edmed to be fighting it out for last place and Lynagh to be a better pick than both.

You can develop a gameplan around a 10 who is nothing but a solid out of hand kicker. Hell - the Springboks have turned that into an art.
Edmed?? No chance. One good game against an understrength Crusaders team. He offers absolutely no direction to his star studded backline and has a pop gun kick.

Lolesio, Donaldson and Gordon are the form 10’s to date. Lolesio for his goal kicking and Donaldson and Gordon for their general playmaking (flat to the line), try assists, running game and distance off the boot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Edmed?? No chance. One good game against an understrength Crusaders team. He offers absolutely no direction to his star studded backline and has a pop gun kick.

Lolesio, Donaldson and Gordon are the form 10’s to date. Lolesio for his goal kicking and Donaldson and Gordon for their general playmaking (flat to the line), try assists, running game and distance off the boot.
Read it again.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Carter Gordon to the 'Tahs for 2025 links up with JS who can kick sticks. Wallabies solved.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the bloke continues to have repeated and notable incidents after several years at an elite level, there’s a pretty good indication he never will learn…
looking up his career he only became a starting lock for Brumbies in 2020 so he's had 3 years as a senior player, he's 26 so his frontal lobes will be kicking in now.