• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bringing the #8 discussion over from the Brumbies thread.

I don't think we're flush for 6s/8s. We have one proven test level 8 in Valetini. Wilson who has a lot of promise but yet to establish himself at the test level. Cale is showing promise.

Then for 6s we have Leota and Hooper, Swinton leaving, unproven Wright. No one has set the world on fire. Hooper the most promising but still unpolished.

My solution is copy the Brumbies, shift Rob to 6, let Wilson/Cale start at 8. I think Valetini/Wilson is better than any combination of X/Valetini.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

I don't think we're flush for 6s/8s. We have one proven test level 8 in Valetini. Wilson who has a lot of promise but yet to establish himself at the test level. Cale is showing promise.

Then for 6s we have Leota and Hooper, Swinton leaving, unproven Wright. No one has set the world on fire. Hooper the most promising but still unpolished.

My solution is copy the Brumbies, shift Rob to 6, let Wilson/Cale start at 8. I think Valetini/Wilson is better than any combination of X/Valetini.
For mine Valetini and McReight are nailed on. From there I think it's Holloway putting is hand up most at 6, particularly if we want I lineout operator there. From there I'd have Wilson on the bench and be looking at Cale as a Holloway understudy in the wider squad, ideally getting plenty of Australia A time in that role.

For the rest, Wright is probably the back up 7 and one or 2 of Leota, Uru Hanigan and Hooper make it as versatile bench options. Lock make up will play a bit of a role there. I'd probably overlook Swinton given he's leaving.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Does anyone watch Japan Top League? Any people picked from there?

I know that Hockings and Trevor Hosea are playing for the 2nd best team, have no idea how they're playing individually though.

Matt Philip and Max Douglas are playing for the 3rd best team (Esei Ha'angana is playing for table topping Wild Knights with Koroibete, but he's been there for 4 years so I predict to see him nominate for Japan soon-ish).

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does anyone watch Japan Top League? Any people picked from there?

I know that Hockings and Trevor Hosea are playing for the 2nd best team, have no idea how they're playing individually though.

Matt Philip and Max Douglas are playing for the 3rd best team (Esei Ha'angana is playing for table topping Wild Knights with Koroibete, but he's been there for 4 years so I predict to see him nominate for Japan soon-ish).
Aside from the fact that Schmidt wants to focus on local players, there are still restrictions to the Giteau law and Hockings, Hosea, Douglas and Ha'angana don't qualify (nor do I think they'd be one of 3 picked). Phillip just scrapes in but I would be surprised if he was one of 3.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Aside from the fact that Schmidt wants to focus on local players, there are still restrictions to the Giteau law and Hockings, Hosea, Douglas and Ha'angana don't qualify (nor do I think they'd be one of 3 picked). Phillip just scrapes in but I would be surprised if he was one of 3.
Surely Giteau law is yeeted

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Our locks at home suck. Frost is good, Holloway is good for super. Salakai-Loto is undersized if he's paired with Frost. Rodda is injured. Swain is dumb. Neville is a wet lettuce leaf. Canham a rookie. I'd pick Skelton and Staniforth.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Surely Giteau law is yeeted
Nope, still very much in place. I believe the inside line podcast confirmed this last week. Maybe if the Rebels do collapse there will be changes, but all of Schmidt's public statements are that he's picking Australian based players first. It'd only be the big names like Skelton or Kerevi getting the call up, maybe someone left field in the event of an injury crisis.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Nope, still very much in place. I believe the inside line podcast confirmed this last week. Maybe if the Rebels do collapse there will be changes, but all of Schmidt's public statements are that he's picking Australian based players first. It'd only be the big names like Skelton or Kerevi getting the call up, maybe someone left field in the event of an injury crisis.
Mhm if we pick 4 domestic locks for the tour I guess it'd be Frost, Neville, Canham and Salakai-Loto/Holloway. Hardly inspiring.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Think the 'Schmidt wants to focus on local players' isn't reallyyyyy that big of a thing. It's more of a politically correct statement (at least that's what the pundits said on the rugby news). He will pick the best team he can within the rules. In the same interview, in almost the same breath , he said let's focus on local players, oh and there are world class players playing in other comps - name dropped kerevi and koroibete, AND talked about the importance of bringing young players through behind experienced ones, that player to player coaching/mentoring is exceptionally valuable, that's what they did for sexton.

If they are willing and able, I fully expect to see Kerevi, Koroibete & Skelton picked in his best squad.

Will we see that used for 2 games v Wales and 1 v Georgia? Probably not. Skelton also apparently made himself unavailable for Wales anyway.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Mhm if we pick 4 domestic locks for the tour I guess it'd be Frost, Neville, Canham and Salakai-Loto/Holloway. Hardly inspiring.
Realistically we might have to for the Wales tests, it'll be hard to get anyone in Europe out in time, at least if they're involved in the post season. Given eligibility that may only leave Phillip and Rory Arnold as available. Rugby Championship will probably be different, but I expect Schmidt might try and get a handle on that local talent versus Wales and Georgia before deciding who he calls out later in the year.

For those locals I think Smith, Swain, Williams and Uru are also a chance for that list though I'd have Uru as a backrow only covering lock. Maybe Lee-Warner as an outside chance, but the tahs would probably need to turn around their form for that to happen. Frost is the only one I'd be confident saying will be there at this stage.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Valetini at 6 for the Brumbies is the same as Valetini at 8 for the Wallabies. He plays through the middle.