• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Highlander is this a hope /plan to kill any chance of competing in bledisloe. Hooper, holloway or URU are poss for 6 but who knows it has been an issue for a long time. I liked Holloway when he first played but thought he fell off in later matches at 6. Neither the 4 nr 5 of your picks will play in the row this year - subject to a fair few injuries.

It is a joke incorporating using all the "utility" lock/backrowers across the Super teams for the Wallabies, rather than selecting out and out tighthead locks, opensides and 8s. While I think some/all of them will be in contention for Wallabies spots they are probably competing for 1 or 2 spots within the 23 and two to four in the greater squad. More than two of these players (maybe 3 in a 6-2 split) in the 23 would suggest a crisis across the Lock and Blindside positions rather than any amazing strategy thought up by Schidmt/Fisher/Cron.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How did Bell actually re-injure his foot on the weekend? Was it during a scrum or in general play? I missed it at the time.
It's hard to tell, there was a collapsed scrum (played on) 5 mins before he came off.

He took a hitup off a lineout around 13:35 which he looks a little bit of discomfort getting up from. But has another hitup soon after.

By 17 min he's run around some kick tennis back and forth without doing much, looks like he's limping a bit and then takes a knee and comes off

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Aside from the fact that Schmidt wants to focus on local players, there are still restrictions to the Giteau law and Hockings, Hosea, Douglas and Ha'angana don't qualify (nor do I think they'd be one of 3 picked). Phillip just scrapes in but I would be surprised if he was one of 3.
It’s subbies for big bucks…. is it a great competition?

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
While unlikely, I hope Kurtley shoots the lights out for the western force and as a result makes the Wallabies 15 at fly half and brings back the Bledisloe.
Overtime. Chances of that? ZERO. Especially since he’ll be playing 15 I suspect, after some bench time.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is it still alleged if he was found innocent by a court? Seems like an outright lie to me.
Not how a finding of not guilty works, it only states that the available evidence does not demonstrate that he did what he was accused of. In and of itself it makes no judgement on the credibility or trustworthiness of the accuser.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

200w.gif

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Been thinking about this instead of doing any work today and in terms of debutants this year I'm seeing potentially 8 players who should at least be in the national squad (depending on squad size, I'm basing this off a 38 man squad):

1. Corey Toole
2. Max Jorgensen
3. Josh Flook
4. Josh Canham
5. Seru Uru
6. Charlie Cale
7. Ryan Lonergan
8. Carlo Tizzano

Also expecting guys like Pollard, Gibbon, Liam Wright, Tom Wright, Wilson, Salakai-Loto and Swain to be re-called into the squad.

Potential hard smokies for me are Darby Lancaster and Alex Hodgman, but also that could just be me procrastinating hard and not thinking clearly.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Potential hard smokies for me are Darby Lancaster and Alex Hodgman, but also that could just be me procrastinating hard and not thinking clearly.
Bell's injury moves the competition between Schoupp, Gibbon and Hodgman to a much more interesting place. At minimum, one of them will need to back up Slipper, even if he picks up no injuries or requires no management. Exciting opportunity.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Been thinking about this instead of doing any work today and in terms of debutants this year I'm seeing potentially 8 players who should at least be in the national squad (depending on squad size, I'm basing this off a 38 man squad):

1. Corey Toole
2. Max Jorgensen
3. Josh Flook
4. Josh Canham
5. Seru Uru
6. Charlie Cale
7. Ryan Lonergan
8. Carlo Tizzano

Also expecting guys like Pollard, Gibbon, Liam Wright, Tom Wright, Wilson, Salakai-Loto and Swain to be re-called into the squad.

If Darby keeps up the way he's played the last couple of weeks he'll definetely get looked at. Toole & Lancaster were both in the 10m/second level speed in the 7s testing but you get a bigger body in Darby.

Tizzano is an outside chance. I think he's been a bright spot in a rough season so far. Congested group though with McReight, Wright, Gamble playing his best game last week and then you have a guy like Reimer who is a beast at the ruck. Then you have the others that can be considered utilities in the Backrow; Hooper, Gleeson and Leota.