• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The thing is, which overseas players would this now open up to that don’t already qualify?

There’s also the possibility that less money is going to be thrown at Australian players who will now need to be released during the test window.

The way the eligibility rules have evolved over the past decade… I’m not sure if it will make a huge difference now.
I'm not saying they should pick him, but it would open the door to people like La Rochelle's Kerr Barlow.

Guys who are eligible but haven't layed enough in Australia to qualify under current Giteau Law

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is good news and a common sense move to pick our best team - our overseas players underperformed last year but just picking a squad of super rugby players won’t win us many games

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can also pick players like James Ramm, not saying we should but it really opens up a lot more.

we need to go chat to the Saffas and see how they manage their integration.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
There’s zero detail in the article though. What’s their source? Could be true but could also be RugbyPass scuttlebutt.

Reactions: dru

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
This further cements the writing is on the wall for Super Rugby pacific. RA conceding open slather selections is a big move.
This was inevitable, money talks.

We now need to deal with to the reality that our domestic footy is set to become a feeder for moneyed foreign teams just like soccer, basketball and basically every sport that isn't League or AFL.

Our ability to adapt to this situation early will determine if professional rugby survives in Aus.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm not saying they should pick him, but it would open the door to people like La Rochelle's Kerr Barlow.

Guys who are eligible but haven't layed enough in Australia to qualify under current Giteau Law
A line up of McDermott, Kerr-Barlow and White/Lonergan at 9 looks pretty tasty.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If I was a selector/coach I'd immediately consign to the WPB, players like Beale, Foley and Cooper. I'd put players like Kerevi, Koroibete, the Arnold Twins, Banks and Scott Sio on notice that they are of interest but will need to justify further consideration with the type of form that makes selection easy. I would look to the likes of Skelton and possibly BPA as sure selections when available and fit.

Otherwise, I would still try to give preference to locally based players in form.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If I was a selector/coach I'd immediately consign to the WPB, players like Beale, Foley and Cooper. I'd put players like Kerevi, Koroibete, the Arnold Twins, Banks and Scott Sio on notice that they are of interest but will need to justify further consideration with the type of form that makes selection easy. I would look to the likes of Skelton and possibly BPA as sure selections when available and fit.

Otherwise, I would still try to give preference to locally based players in form.
Whilst I don't disagree with this post in general, there's a lot of #10 experience you are writing off there. Not so much with the intention of picking them to start I would have at least one of these three in the squad, probably one of the latter two. I'd leave both Arnolds out of the conversation though, one wouldn't play when we needed him to and the other one is no good.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's true KOB, but to be honest, I'm over all of them. I think we are now at a stage where Lolesio and Donaldson are probably safe enough to get through a game without too many blunders while Carter Gordon is almost ready to surpass them both. Once CG gets to play consistently (ie through a whole game) as good as he has shown he can, he will fit very nicely into a Wallaby backline. And with the introduction of Joe Schmidt I really do think it's time to make a clean break from the past 10s and let's see what he can do with his own man, whomever that might be, running the show as he wants it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It's interesting that we have so many relatively good options at 6 for players with body shapes who would probably attract interest from RL, and we don't have anywhere near the same depth at 4+5
I dunno. Our top level picks are probably Frost, Holloway, Salalakai-Loto, Neville. Rodda was as probably better than all of them but hard to say where he is at. Next level is Smith, Hooper, Swain, Canham, Williams then you have guys like Uru, Hanigan and Lee-Warner who are more 6s at test level, but could play lock in need.

None of them are competing for World XV status, but neither are any of the 6s.

If it is on a scale I’d argue our depth at lock is at least as good as our depth at 6.

I feel where in a better place at lock then we were 7-8 years ago when it was a revolving door position between honest toilers who worked hard but lacked physicality v impact players whose impact was always too spasmodic.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think we do compete for props, it's just that a potential rugby prop is often just a RL second rower willing to maintain 130kg.
I agree. Many just think fat kids, but the reality of professional rugby can just be kids identified to a position at a young age and then going through the right nutrition and weights program. Look at Dan Palmer, he’s an absolute rake away from his professional career but was a good scrummager. Matt Gibbon is a good example of a guy that’s not overly massive in stature, his brother with very similar genetics was a winger and played 7s. There is plenty of guys in the NRL that if exposed at a younger age to different training demands could of been Steven Kitshoff or Tyrell Lomax type forward in size.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What if M Hooper doesn't make the sevens squad? Just pondering.
Well he was out of form last year and has been tailoring his training this year to 7s.

I’m not going to say he’s not an option but I would think guys like Wright or Gamble would be more likely.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Well he was out of form last year and has been tailoring his training this year to 7s.

I’m not going to say he’s not an option but I would think guys like Wright or Gamble would be more likely.
He wasnt in career best form in Supe but he then got injured and didn't get an opportunity to prove himself after that. I couldn't be arsed going back through the 2023 threads - more to the point I dont want to revisit them - but from memory he was certainly in the discussions up until the point Eddie left him out of the RWC squad.

All that said, for it to happen he would need to not be selected in July (unless he gets dumped before that) and then find some way to attract the attention of Joe Schmidt, presumably while playing club rugby. Thus, its probably highly unlikely however an injury to any one of those 3 contenders aforementioned could see him work his way into the 23 v Argentina or something if he has been playing the house down. Like LeCheese it would be good for him to get a proper sendoff, even if it's wearing #20 v Argentina at Parra or the Goldy or wherever they decide to play it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper must by one of the most discussed players on the forum. I don’t really want to start another back and forwards on him and I certainly don’t want to knock the guy. But I’d assume he is very unlikely to be a Wallaby this year. If he proves me wrong, good luck to him.