• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure about rushing props with long term injuries back in as starting THP in a test match... as captain no less.

Someone like Talakai won't be a world beater but will hold his side of the scrum up and will make his tackles.
Likely against the Hurricanes

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
Why wasn't there a Wallabies April training squad? They have been doing them for years during the bye rounds. Joe said in his first press conference he would be doing an April squad naming, does anyone know why it didn't happen?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why wasn't there a Wallabies April training squad? They have been doing them for years during the bye rounds. Joe said in his first press conference he would be doing an April squad naming, does anyone know why it didn't happen?

As far as I'm aware there was never any plan to announce an April training squad, and Schmidt wasn't going to select his first squad until the end of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) season...

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
May be getting my wires crossed, but I think he said he wouldn't even be thinking about what a squad looks like until April-ish

capalaba

Stan Wickham (3)
I have read a lot of chat on these boards
Slim (no pun intended!) pickings there. All good players (jury is still out for me on Uelese) but there isn't whole heap of depth if these guys are our front line. Quite a few front row injuries at the moment. Who else do we have next

Slim (no pun intended!) pickings there. All good players (jury is still out for me on Uelese) but there isn't whole heap of depth if these guys are our front line. Quite a few front row injuries at the moment. Who else do we have next in line?
I may have misunderstood your post but if you believe these are slim pickings as far as our frontrow is concerned, you are sadly mistaken.
Bell is predicted to be back in July.
Hodgman is an ex-All Black prop and has been a quality player for a number of years. His mobility at LHP is what is lacking in the Australian game.
Slipper at 34 has maturity and experience and can match it with the best of them.
Ngonggor is a great up and Comer that can.play both sides.
All this talk about looking towards MLR. I mean seriously MLR???????
I think people.on this forum are hitting the panic button a little too soon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I may have misunderstood your post but if you believe these are slim pickings as far as our frontrow is concerned, you are sadly mistaken.
Hodgman is an ex-All Black prop and has been a quality player for a number of years. His mobility at LHP is what is lacking in the Australian game.
Slipper at 34 has maturity and experience and can match it with the best of them.

You've conflated two conversations. The second one mentioning Dane Zander and MLR was purely about Australians playing overseas. No one was suggesting the Wallabies were looking to that competition for a player.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

I think you need to learn to read.

It's following on a thought exercise, that Derpus, UpTheReds and Phil Clinton have contributed to, looking at the potential "overseas eligible" Wallabies. As part of this, they've pointed out that other than Sio, there are not many Australian Looseheads plying their trade overseas in the URC/Prem/French Leagues/Japanese Leagues.

No one is seriously suggesting that Cameron Orr will be lining up in the Bledisloe.

capalaba

Stan Wickham (3)
I think you need to learn to read.

It's following on a thought exercise, that Derpus, UpTheReds and Phil Clinton have contributed to, looking at the potential "overseas eligible" Wallabies. As part of this, they've pointed out that other than Sio, there are not many Australian Looseheads plying their trade overseas in the URC/Prem/French Leagues/Japanese Leagues.

No one is seriously suggesting that Cameron Orr will be lining up in the Bledisloe.
No I can read.

Thanks for the clarification, like I said I may have misunderstood the post and I clearly did. Cheers.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)

The point I was making was that while we have some good players up front we are only a couple of injuries away from being very short on depth. Guys like Talakai, Gibbon et al have been the back up for the past few years but if they are now our frontline Wallaby props we don’t have a heap of experience waiting in the wings if they go down or if someone like Bell has an extended injury layoff or AAA doesn’t come back from his injury as quickly as hoped.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)

Just wondering where did you hear or read that Bell is predicted to be back in July?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I thought this was number 3.
There's some conjecture around if this is the same toe.

After the second injury, Bell had his toe fused. So its hard to understand what the "pop" noise he heard similar to the other incidents are.

That's what the Orthopods have told me, but I've got no visibility on how true that is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's some conjecture around if this is the same toe.

After the second injury, Bell had his toe fused. So its hard to understand what the "pop" noise he heard similar to the other incidents are.

That's what the Orthopods have told me, but I've got no visibility on how true that is.

My understanding of the surgery last time around was that they removed a bone that is deemed non-essential rather than reattaching it.

Allegedly it was meant to meant that the specific injury couldn't happen again.

I guess that does mean it's a bit different this time but to me as a completely amateur diagnostician it maybe just moved the point of failure?