• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have read a lot of chat on these boards

I may have misunderstood your post but if you believe these are slim pickings as far as our frontrow is concerned, you are sadly mistaken.
Bell is predicted to be back in July.
Hodgman is an ex-All Black prop and has been a quality player for a number of years. His mobility at LHP is what is lacking in the Australian game.
Slipper at 34 has maturity and experience and can match it with the best of them.
Ngonggor is a great up and Comer that can.play both sides.
All this talk about looking towards MLR. I mean seriously MLR???????
I think people.on this forum are hitting the panic button a little too soon.
Intersting you mention Nonggorr can play both sides. As far as I can recall he has only ever played THP for the Reds. At what level has he played LHP?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bell has now injured his same toe twice. Not sure what the chances are of him doing it a 3rd time but rushing back in would be foolish.
In a post match chat or one of the shows, can't recall, one of the players said that Bell got better then expected news. Doesnt change Super Rugby return, but yeh.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am pleased to see Harrison back at the tahs and will watch him closely assuming Coleman starts him, If not DC is gone.
By the end of this Wallaby season I expect to see Harrison starting and Gordon on the bench opening them up and covering 10-15.

capalaba

Stan Wickham (3)
Intersting you mention Nonggorr can play both sides. As far as I can recall he has only ever played THP for the Reds. At what level has he played LHP?
He has.played on the LHP which shows his versatility, although he specializes at THP. Same for Rivai has played both sides of rhe scrum, specializes LHP.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
I am pleased to see Harrison back at the tahs and will watch him closely assuming Coleman starts him, If not DC is gone.
By the end of this Wallaby season I expect to see Harrison starting and Gordon on the bench opening them up and covering 10-15.
Big call after a 20 minute stint… he definitely should start at the Tahs at 10 next game but I do wonder about his coming back from two knee injuries. Doubt he will be in the Wallaby mix but it will be a great story if he does.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Wallabies 23 by RugbyPass:

1 Angus Bell
2 Matt Faessler
3 Allan Ala'alatoa
4 Will Skelton
5 Nick Frost
6 Lachlan Swinton
7 Fraser McReight
8 Rob Valetini
9 Tate McDermott
10 Carter Gordon
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Hunter Paisami
13 Len Ikitau
14 Corey Toole
15 Andrew Kellaway

Replacements:

16 Billy Pollard
17 James Slipper
18 Sam Talakai
19 Darcy Swain
20 Charlie Cale
21 Ryan Lonergan
22 Ben Donaldson
23 Izaia Perese

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies 23 by RugbyPass:

1 Angus Bell
2 Matt Faessler
3 Allan Ala'alatoa
4 Will Skelton
5 Nick Frost
6 Lachlan Swinton
7 Fraser McReight
8 Rob Valetini
9 Tate McDermott
10 Carter Gordon
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Hunter Paisami
13 Len Ikitau
14 Corey Toole
15 Andrew Kellaway

Replacements:

16 Billy Pollard
17 James Slipper
18 Sam Talakai
19 Darcy Swain
20 Charlie Cale
21 Ryan Lonergan
22 Ben Donaldson
23 Izaia Perese

Willy S kicking for goal, Nobody--style?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can't see how Nick Frost can be picked and starting when his not starting for the Brumbies, and looks like his been dropped altogether this week.

I also think Ben Donaldson and Nic White been the best half combo so far, Carter's kickings a liability so Donaldson to start... Lonergan / Carter on the bench.. shootout for Starting 9 between White and Tate

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Can't see how Nick Frost can be picked and starting when his not starting for the Brumbies, and looks like his been dropped altogether this week.

I also think Ben Donaldson and Nic White been the best half combo so far, Carter's kickings a liability so Donaldson to start... Lonergan / Carter on the bench.. shootout for Starting 9 between White and Tate
Yeah, I think so. And you need at least 3 good kickers in your backline in test rugby nowadays. You only can pick a wing who can't kick and that spot is for Marika

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah, I think so. And you need at least 3 good kickers in your backline in test rugby nowadays. You only can pick a wing who can't kick and that spot is for Marika
Toole can kick, and he has some rapid speed, but at the moment, with Petiea out, I'd be going with Tom Wright on the wing, He has all the skill, speed, and kicking and can sniff out a try. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) needs to find some form, but may get the first shot based on history

It depends on whether we call Marika back whether Toole gets a gig.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
As much as it pains me to say it, I think Beale surprised everyone last week with his performance. Obviously there might be other considerations at play (WRT things in his personal life, but also selecting players to take us towards the next WC), but I don't think he's out of the picture if he can show some form - particularly with Petaia injured.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
As much as it pains me to say it, I think Beale surprised everyone last week with his performance. Obviously there might be other considerations at play (WRT things in his personal life, but also selecting players to take us towards the next WC), but I don't think he's out of the picture if he can show some form - particularly with Petaia injured.
There's a fair few full backs in front of him and players in their mid 30's can have a great game but can't do it consistently.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
There's a fair few full backs in front of him and players in their mid 30's can have a great game but can't do it consistently.
I don't like to partake in sweeping generalisations - as I said, if he can show some form, I wouldn't be surprised if he's at least in the squad.

The biggest upside is his experience and, by all reports, his rugby IQ, voice, and organisation from the back - all things sorely missing in the Wallabies setup.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm no fan of Beale, he is 35 with a chequered history and I was pleased the Tahs didn't re-sign him. However, he was not found guilty recently, his poor off-field behaviour is some years behind him, and he is currently playing Super Rugby and is eligible for Wallaby selection. IF he stays fit, IF there are no significant off-field indiscretions, IF he maintains strong form and IF he is clearly playing better than the alternatives, I can't see why he wouldn't be selected (please note all the IF's).

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Toole can kick, and he has some rapid speed, but at the moment, with Petiea out, I'd be going with Tom Wright on the wing, He has all the skill, speed, and kicking and can sniff out a try. Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) needs to find some form, but may get the first shot based on history

It depends on whether we call Marika back whether Toole gets a gig.
It makes sense but if you pick Tom Wright on the wing. Who's your starter fullback? Kellaway? They are so few options at 15 so better to keep Wright over there