• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It makes sense but if you pick Tom Wright on the wing. Who's your starter fullback? Kellaway? They are so few options at 15 so better to keep Wright over there
Kellaway is starting fullback, to be honest him or Wright could be fullback or wing, both should be in the starting side.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't like to partake in sweeping generalisations - as I said, if he can show some form, I wouldn't be surprised if he's at least in the squad.

The biggest upside is his experience and, by all reports, his rugby IQ, voice, and organisation from the back - all things sorely missing in the Wallabies setup.
I have no problem with them but I do have a problem with guys here claiming a player at 23 is still a kid and an error-prone FB,10, wing at 35 is an asset.
Just to support your statement; a German mathematician who competed with Newton in the race for calculus in the late 1600 or early 1700's stated that 'Generalisations are a mere plateau where a tired mind tarries to rest'. SO I have a tired mind - no argument.

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have no problem with them but I do have a problem with guys here claiming a player at 23 is still a kid and an error-prone FB,10, wing at 35 is an asset.
Just to support your statement; a German mathematician who competed with Newton in the race for calculus in the late 1600 or early 1700's stated that 'Generalisations are a mere plateau where a tired mind tarries to rest'. SO I have a tired mind - no argument.

An aside, but why wouldn't you simply say Leibniz?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe Toole and Koroibete on the wing and Kellaway and Wright at 15 and 23?
In my mind, Petaia , Kellaway and Wright, are all wingers who can play fullback. All had way more success at the international (and super) level on the wing, but because our only true fullback option is Jock Campbell and now an old Kurtley Beale, we have moved guys across from wing.

Granted, all three are now playing fullback for their super clubs, but it's tough to say they are better there. So, I would rather the triple threat of Kellaway and Wright (run, kick, pass, although Kellaway could do better on that front) than the outright pace of Toole at the start of the game. I'm not sure Koro's coming back anyway, so it might be Toole, Kellaway, or Wright.

But what would I know, I'd assume probably be Kellaway, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Koro..

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)
In my mind, Petaia , Kellaway and Wright, are all wingers who can play fullback. All had way more success at the international (and super) level on the wing, but because our only true fullback option is Jock Campbell and now an old Kurtley Beale, we have moved guys across from wing.

Granted, all three are now playing fullback for their super clubs, but it's tough to say they are better there. So, I would rather the triple threat of Kellaway and Wright (run, kick, pass, although Kellaway could do better on that front) than the outright pace of Toole at the start of the game. I'm not sure Koro's coming back anyway, so it might be Toole, Kellaway, or Wright.

But what would I know, I'd assume probably be Kellaway, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) and Koro..
Kellaway is the only real candidate at 15 imo. He has been in outstanding form all year. The complete player.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Kellaway is the only real candidate at 15 imo. He has been in outstanding form all year. The complete player.
He's been good, but he could also be better in the pass area. People hate Tom Wright because of his arrogance plus rocks and diamonds, but he's well within the conversation, has been in outstanding form, and is working on his consistency; you just have to listen to him talk, and if he gets that right he'll be a chance.

And I hate to say it, but Beale was really good for the force last game. If his form stays like that, he'll be there or thereabouts.

Back to my selection, I'd pick Kellaway and Wright in the starting team, one on the wing, one at fullback doesn't matter which one wears the 15.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Has everyone resigned themselves to let Schmidt pick the flyhalf? Ben, Carter and Noah are all quality but with major drawbacks. Even after his speedbump performance I think Noah has to get it. I was warming to Donaldson but his kicking percentage is the same as Carter's, 69% where Noah is in the mid 80s. Carter's a curious one, he was slotting them from the sideline with ease yet misses the sitters. Definite case for a sports psych.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Has everyone resigned themselves to let Schmidt pick the flyhalf? Ben, Carter and Noah are all quality but with major drawbacks. Even after his speedbump performance I think Noah has to get it. I was warming to Donaldson but his kicking percentage is the same as Carter's, 69% where Noah is in the mid 80s. Carter's a curious one, he was slotting them from the sideline with ease yet misses the sitters. Definite case for a sports psych.
Sure, I think we all resigned to just let Joe pick it, as it be his choice.

Think that he'll select the best guy for his game plan, probably all 3 in the squad.. Then it comes down to who he thinks can run his game plan. Just hope once the choice is made people get behind the player.

Harrison is the dark horse to me, his looked good, and if he can get the start at the Tahs I'd seriously consider putting him in the squad (if he keeps his form up)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree, however Harrison could be the smokey. If he gets a start next week and the tahs go on a run (in 2019 u20s he was the 10 with Noah at 12 and Donaldson 22)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am very skeptical of Schmidt picking Lolesio. I think he has to take into consideration that he's already had a fair bit of test experience and is largely still the same player.

For me, unless you think Lolesio is clearly the best option you'd lean elsewhere on the basis that you think the player has more upside potential that comes with greater experience.

Very hard for the new coach to come in, give Lolesio another solid run in the 10 jersey and then come to the same conclusion as Rennie in particular and decide you need to move on.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I honestly think the starting fullback should depend on who's playing at 10. If Lolesio is starting, then play Wright at 15 with Kellaway at 14. If Gordon (or Donaldson) is starting, then swap them around and play Kellaway at 15 with Wright at 14. Both will cover the backfield easily enough and will be relatively interchangeable but I'm a fan of cohesion and like the idea of playing a 10-15 combo from club level. In my mind I'm starting White at 9 with either Lolesio or Donaldson at 10 and Wright at 15. Then I'm bringing McDermott and Gordon off the bench and shuffling Kellaway to fullback with whoever is in the 23 jersey (Petaia, Lancaster, Pietsch, etc) replacing Wright and shifting to the wing when this happens. But we have plenty of options so I'm excited to see what Schmidt decides to do.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
I think Kellaway is a lock for FB. He has the best rugby brain out of the candidates, is calm, more of a leader and less prone to errors. Schmidt picks players who stick to his game plan as well so i think someone like Pietsch may get a run, he is not the most talented but he runs straight, has pace and always gives 100%. For the same reasons some of the young QLD backs may get a nod as well.
Anyone who can kick goals is also a shot.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
An aside, but why wouldn't you simply say Leibniz?
Couldn't remember his name. Not sure that Leibniz is correct as I searched for this quote a few months ago. The full quote was "Assumptions are the standpoints of fools and Generalisation etc etc.' When I first read this years ago it was quoted as by a german mathematician competing with Newton.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am very skeptical of Schmidt picking Lolesio. I think he has to take into consideration that he's already had a fair bit of test experience and is largely still the same player.

For me, unless you think Lolesio is clearly the best option you'd lean elsewhere on the basis that you think the player has more upside potential that comes with greater experience.

Very hard for the new coach to come in, give Lolesio another solid run in the 10 jersey and then come to the same conclusion as Rennie in particular and decide you need to move on.
I thought that we would be in a good position after several potential 10's stood up after years of a very limited supply. A big decision for Schmidt and I agree that Lolesio has not improved in terms of running the game but his defence has improved and his kicking ability to some extent.
What worries me about him is when he is under pressure and that is not so easy to fix.