• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Of those 3 only Kellaway plays like a fullback. Petaia and Wright fit your description.
I think Kellaway plays more like a wing then Wright, his best games have all been on the wing (for Wallabies). He also isn't the play maker Wright is.

But I also think he'll likely be 15 as his probably our safest bet there..

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Kellaway plays more like a wing then Wright, his best games have all been on the wing (for Wallabies). He also isn't the play maker Wright is.

We are forced to disagree, Wright should never be given the 15 as he is a liability there and I suspect not smart enough for the position.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

All of Wright's best games have also come on the wing for the Wallabies. He's really stunk the joint out when he's being played at 15.

Kellaway has a much lower error rate which gets him the spot.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
We are forced to disagree, Wright should never be given the 15 as he is a liability there and I suspect not smart enough for the position.
Same with Kellaway. All his best games have been on the wing. I think Kellaway will be fullback which we can agree on, just don't think its cut and dry.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
All of Wright's best games have also come on the wing for the Wallabies. He's really stunk the joint out when he's being played at 15.

Kellaway has a much lower error rate which gets him the spot.
Kellaway has played at fullback, and he has had shockers as well. It's not like he is some lower error rate high-octane fullback. He just doesn't get the same scrutiny as Wright, as he hasn't rubbed people the wrong way.

I still think they both should be selected, and I suspect Joe will make his own decision on what he wants from a fullback.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kellaway has played at fullback, and he has had shockers as well. It's not like he is some lower error rate high-octane fullback. He just doesn't get the same scrutiny as Wright, as he hasn't rubbed people the wrong way.

I still think they both should be selected, and I suspect Joe will make his own decision on what he wants from a fullback.
Its exactly like that...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Im going to move on from this, I've already said I'd select Kellaway, his just not the only option at 15 like some people seem to believe, Im sure Joe will pick who he thinks best, but if he wants a ball playing fullback don't be surprised if its Wright.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Same with Kellaway. All his best games have been on the wing. I think Kellaway will be fullback which we can agree on, just don't think its cut and dry.
Agree, I suspect we are all in for a surprise when the first squad is announced. We have some really exciting wings but FB's ???

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Maybe cause wing is an easier position than fullback, you need less skills and you have less responsabilities. To play at 15 you need the full skills package

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if Daugunu will come into the equation.

If Schmidt doesn’t want players who make errors then I’d guess he is no chance. But then a lot of other guys will have lines through their names too and the list of players left over may not be that appealing.

If form is his guide then, from what I’ve seen, Daugunu’s is as good as anyone’s at the moment - albeit he is playing 13.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kellaway is the only real candidate at 15 imo. He has been in outstanding form all year. The complete player.
Nah, he's had some moments of absolute brain explosions. Good as he is, he is not in outstanding form at 15 and his history through U20s and early days at Super Rugby says he's a better wing than 15.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am very skeptical of Schmidt picking Lolesio. I think he has to take into consideration that he's already had a fair bit of test experience and is largely still the same player.

For me, unless you think Lolesio is clearly the best option you'd lean elsewhere on the basis that you think the player has more upside potential that comes with greater experience.

Very hard for the new coach to come in, give Lolesio another solid run in the 10 jersey and then come to the same conclusion as Rennie in particular and decide you need to move on.
I would pick and stick with Carter Gordon myself. Goal kicking would have to be a project for him or someone else in the side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would pick and stick with Carter Gordon myself. Goal kicking would have to be a project for him or someone else in the side.

He's definitely the one out of Gordon, Lolesio and Donaldson with the most upside available in their general play.

The goal kicking is a major issue though. It's got to be both a project for him but also might cost him a place in the side. I don't think I'd be going down the route of having Donaldson as the fullback.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Carter Gordon's goal kicking has improved a bit in the last couple of games. The couple he's missed were complete shanks but he made several hard kicks, and the Rebels also turn down a lot of easy chances at penalty goal that would help his %. He wasn't the primary goal kicker until this season so maybe it just takes time. The fact he's a scratch golfer makes me think he's definitely got the right sort of talent for it.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nah, he's had some moments of absolute brain explosions. Good as he is, he is not in outstanding form at 15 and his history through U20s and early days at Super Rugby says he's a better wing than 15.
I think the difference is that Kellaway errrors are normally to not pass the ball when he should, killing off attack and or giving up the ball. So they are note as noteable as more obvious errors like dropped ball and bad passes - but they are errors all the same.

I’d still have him as my fullback at present though.