• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
You would have to think that Schmidt will pick a 10 who can kick for goal, in general play and can distribute well enough

Joe, let's stop with the rose tinted glasses on Foley. If we have him at 10, we may as well tell the Ref to give the opposition the ball on our 25-30 metre line after every reset.

Foley can kick at sticks but his pop gun clearing kicks puts us significantly under pressure.

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
He got smoked a few times on the weekend. But yes we need him to stay fit.
Brums also disrupted the Canes a couple of times in that first half in fairness, it wasn't one way traffic. Looked a pretty tough assignment in his first game back vs a very explosive looshead, he'll get better.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can't see how you can pick Frost when he's been dropped to the Brumby runners. If anything, our lineout turned around when Swain got the start over him, so I would be selecting Swain to start and probably have Ryan or Neville in my squad.

Also you got no goal kicker in the starting lineup. 70 percent or less won't cut it. Lolesio is to start, and Carter and Loneragan are on the bench. Toss up between Tate and White for 9.
Do you mean Smith (not Ryan?).

Agree with the rest.

With regards to the discussion around backrow I can’t see Wilson & Gleeson both making it. But I think they’ll almost certainly include one of Swinton or Hanigan. Possibly both, unless maybe Schmidt decides he’s only interested in using Holloway at 6.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He’s never really been a dominated scrummager though. He normally holds his own - but his big plus is his work around the park.

He used to be... was easily the most dominant TH scrummaging prop in Super Rugby in 2019, on top of possessing a massive workrate.

An injury or two later and he was never the same.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Agree with the rest.

With regards to the discussion around backrow I can’t see Wilson & Gleeson both making it. But I think they’ll almost certainly include one of Swinton or Hanigan. Possibly both, unless maybe Schmidt decides he’s only interested in using Holloway at 6.
On current form you'd take Swinton or Hanigan over Holloway. I'd take Swinton myself.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Agree with the rest.

I did mean Smith,

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
On current form you'd take Swinton or Hanigan over Holloway. I'd take Swinton myself.
Not sure Swinton balances so well with the rest of our back row options, particularly at lineout time. If he was hanging around I think he'd probably be worth looking at given his form, but given he's going overseas I'm not sure we bother.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno. For me Holloway has been the pick of the Waratah forwards and one of the better Australian forwards in Super Rugby. Maybe his form has tapered a little, but he’s been pretty consistent. I’d have him as first picked lock, but maybe Schmidt will prefer him as a 6.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
I dunno. For me Holloway has been the pick of the Waratah forwards and one of the better Australian forwards in Super Rugby. Maybe his form has tapered a little, but he’s been pretty consistent. I’d have him as first picked lock, but maybe Schmidt will prefer him as a 6.
This is interesting because I see it totally the reverse. Holloway’s shifting rocks but I see Swinton especially as so much more dynamic. Hanigan is such a better player now than when he was selected for the Wallabies ironically.

Swinton without the brain fades (which has been the case so far this year it seems) is an extremely attractive proposition. On the other hand a lot of locks are competing with Holloway for the lighter lock position of the Wallabies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
35 man squad for Wales.

Assuming Skelton is unavailable with La Rochelle, BPA is available and not an OS pick as he's coming home. Koroibete and Kerevi will be home already. Not sure about the injury status, of Petaia, Schoupp, Bell. Have at it.

Props (6)
Bell*, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Slipper, Talakai, Hodgman *Gibbon if Bell is out

Hookers (3)
Faessler, Uelese, Paenga-Amosa

Locks (5)
Canham Rodda, Frost, Salakai-Loto, Swain, Holloway

Backrow (6)
Valetini, Cale, McReight, Gleeson, T. Hooper, Wilson

Scrumhalf (3)
McDermott, White, Longeran

Flyhalf (2)
Lolesio, Gordon

Centre (4)
Ikitau, Paisami, Perese, Kerevi

Outside backs (6)
Kellaway, Wright, Koroibete, Toole, Petaia, Lancaster (Jorgensen if Petaia is out)
Won't carry Cale, Gleeson and Wilson - ditch one for Swinton

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The bit you are missing Joe is the pack, behind a winning pack Foley or Lolesio are fine enough without being game winners. Gordon has played a lot of his rugby behind a poor pack and rather than stand back he tries to open up an opportunity.
IF we can put together a pack that can get 50% possession across all areas of tight and loose play then Gorden will be an advantage if we don't have that pack then Foley or Lolesio's kicking will help but won't win games for us.
And no musical chairs in defence. Gordon goes ok defending at 10.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
And if your going off this week then Donaldson and Carter aren't either..

It's going to be selected over the full season though. But for someone who choose Yoda as a name, you're not very wise or patient.
My point was apart from goal kicking, I don’t think he has been consistent as a playmaker. Likewise for all playmakers. You are right though, I guess they will be looked at over the whole super season though and how Schmidt wants to play.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He used to be... was easily the most dominant TH scrummaging prop in Super Rugby in 2019, on top of possessing a massive workrate.

An injury or two later and he was never the same.
Best Australian THP in 2019 yeah, but few fans outside of Australia(Canberra) would say he is a better scrummager then Frans Malherbe

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
Best Australian THP in 2019 yeah, but few fans outside of Australia(Canberra) would say he is a better scrummager then Frans Malherbe
I don't know that anyone in Canberra would say that. We'll take him being the best in Canberra for the moment

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Carter to me has more upside in terms of unleashing the backline and his defence is also very good. The kicking is a worry though and that's real important at test level. I'd still pick him but I'd be nervous doing it.

Maybe we pair him with Lonergan, who is a good kick for goal? He's not too shabby at the other halfback skills either.