• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Surely its 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa)
Ala'alatoa to captain, he'll be 33 at the next world cup which is prime age for a prop. But I'd have either McReight or McDermott as VC for the rest of this world cup period with an eye for one of them taking over from 2028 onwards (similar to the Moore as captain and Hooper as VC structure we had in 2014-15).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Issue with the THP as captain, is he won’t/shouldn’t be playing 80 of test rugby, ideally with decent depth we would be rotating props at 40-50min mark

Also, whilst AAA is a good scrummager there are plenty better at test level, you don’t want your captain being penalised regularly throughout a match, it undermines their ability to communicate with the ref effectively

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Picking a squad on the same basis as Horan and Shepherd the other day (no OS players, no currently injured players), here's my go:
Slipper, Faessler, AAA, Frost, Holloway, Valetini, McReight, Cale, McDermott, Lolesio, Toole, Paisami, Ikatou, Kellaway, T Wright; Res: Pollard, Gibbon, TT, Hanigan, L Wright, Lonergan, Gordon, Foketi.
Importantly, Lolesio kicks goals, when he is replaced Lonergan replaces mcDermott and kicks goals.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Picking a squad on the same basis as Horan and Shepherd the other day (no OS players, no currently injured players), here's my go:
Slipper, Faessler, AAA, Frost, Holloway, Valetini, McReight, Cale, McDermott, Lolesio, Toole, Paisami, Ikatou, Kellaway, T Wright; Res: Pollard, Gibbon, TT, Hanigan, L Wright, Lonergan, Gordon, Foketi.
Importantly, Lolesio kicks goals, when he is replaced Lonergan replaces mcDermott and kicks goals.
Holloway, Toole, Pollard and Hanigan are injured

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Holloway and Hanigan are only out this week, not sure about the other two, I don't think that was part of the criteria, just the long term injured like Bell and Porecki

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Holloway and Hanigan are only out this week, not sure about the other two, I don't think that was part of the criteria, just the long term injured like Bell and Porecki
Toole 3 weeks, Pollard and Hanigan unclear at this stage. But if the idea was to not pick currently injured players then Holloway is probably the only one of those that still qualifies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Very close to what I'd go with too Froggy. The one change to the starting side I'd make would be Gordon in place of Lolesio. I know that would compromise the goal kicking, but I reckon Gordon's kicking has shown good improvement as he's taken the job on at the Rebels and wouldn't be the risk that it was last year.

Otherwise, I think on recent efforts, I would not have Gibbon on the bench. He is more than fair in open play but his scrummaging now has huge question marks about it. I'd probably go with Fa'agase or the other Rebels LHP unless Schoupp makes it back from injury.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
Very close to what I'd go with too Froggy. The one change to the starting side I'd make would be Gordon in place of Lolesio.
Wow. I did not think I would live to see the day when you dropped Lolesio.!!!!

On a serious note, I wonder he will decide to go with a bigger 7? That seems to be the fashion these days.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If we want to play a bigger 7, we’ve got to start playing bigger 7s at Super Rugby level at the very least. If we don’t, we play someone not accustomed to the role out of position at international level. Other than Wright at the Reds, who I believe captained the under 20s Australian side from 7, everyone else would be a gamble (not Charlie). If Tom Hooper, Uru, Langi Gleeson, etc played at 7 for their clubs and showed good form, then yes, play the bigger guy. But we would be mad to pick any of them on what they might do in front of McReight, et al right now
Fuck all that. Just play McReight.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tell you what though... absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that shit. Hooper's influence at 7 becoming more obvious the longer we live without the legend.

The Marketing Pigeon

Herbert Moran (7)
Early take but Nick Frost might not make the wallabies squad for mine if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Holloway, Rodda are locked in and Ryan smith, Hanigan (bench lock and 6) and swain are all in much better form and have greater size. Frosts lack of physicality and passiveness in contact is glaring in the game tonight

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Fros
Early take but Nick Frost might not make the wallabies squad for mine if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Holloway, Rodda are locked in and Ryan smith, Hanigan (bench lock and 6) and swain are all in much better form and have greater size. Frosts lack of physicality and passiveness in contact is glaring in the game tonight

Not really a hot take , his probably 4th lock at the Brumbies at the moment, and I've said a number of times he can't be picked when his not playing. Swain will get his spot probably.. I'm still not sold on Rodda and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is injured...

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon McReight is pretty close to being as good as Hooper. Better in some ways. His linking game is superior as are his ball skills. He looks bigger than Hooper and has a similar sized motor. He should start at 7.
Gordons game yesterday did not help his cause. His passing game was off, as was the handling for the Rebels pretty much across the board. Not sure why people are still calling for him to start at 10. Lolesio is a much better bet.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
McReight would be my pick for Wallaby 7, but calling him as good as Hooper is looking through very deeply red tinged glasses. While for some reason BR never rated him, most supporters of all sides would rate him one of the best two or three players the Wallabies have produced over the last fifteen years

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I reckon McReight is pretty close to being as good as Hooper. Better in some ways. His linking game is superior as are his ball skills. He looks bigger than Hooper and has a similar sized motor. He should start at 7.
Where McReight needs to improve to be world class like Hooper is his dominant tackling. Good teams in the past run at McReight to take him out of the breakdown contest.

When they tried this with Hooper, his dominant tackles meant this didn't work