• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
McReight would be my pick for Wallaby 7, but calling him as good as Hooper is looking through very deeply red tinged glasses. While for some reason BR never rated him, most supporters of all sides would rate him one of the best two or three players the Wallabies have produced over the last fifteen years
Pocock was pretty good.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Pocock was pretty good.

I would have said that 7 is one position that Australia is pretty good at producing. Few have had the chance to step up to international, let alone time to develop into international greatness (due to the position being filled). That is where Hooper has set the standard. I'm not really worried about 7 going forward.

Last edited:

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the wallabies actually have so much versatility in the backs this year that very often we'll be in a position where a 6-2 would be advantageous.

For example

1. Bell (if his sausage foot is good) or Slipper
2. Faessler
3. AAAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Koroibete (if available) or Wright
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia (if recovered)
15. Kellaway

16. Pollard
17. Slipper or Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Rodda
20. Holloway
21. Cale
22. Lonergan
23. Gordon

In this scenario, Wright covers 7 if Mcreight comes off (rare). Lots of back 5 cin the forwards. Lonergan covers goal kicking if Lolesio comes off. Lolesio covers 12 if required, Petaia covers 13. Gordon covers 10 and 15. In an ideal world you could have IFL coming off the bench covering 9 and wing which he can. Failing that Cale is capable of covering some minutes on the wing if he had to.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
McReight would be my pick for Wallaby 7, but calling him as good as Hooper is looking through very deeply red tinged glasses. While for some reason BR never rated him, most supporters of all sides would rate him one of the best two or three players the Wallabies have produced over the last fifteen years
Froggy, I did rate Hooper as a world class No 7, but not in his last two or three years of playing. My real beef against his inclusion in the Wallabies in recent years was that he was (not through his own fault) keeping a far better No 7 in David Pocock out of that spot in the Wallabies. It's a matter of relativities.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think the wallabies actually have so much versatility in the backs this year that very often we'll be in a position where a 6-2 would be advantageous.

For example

2. Faessler
3. AAAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
15. Kellaway

16. Pollard
17. Slipper or Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Rodda
20. Holloway
21. Cale
22. Lonergan
23. Gordon

In this scenario, Wright covers 7 if Mcreight comes off (rare). Lots of back 5 cin the forwards. Lonergan covers goal kicking if Lolesio comes off. Lolesio covers 12 if required, Petaia covers 13. Gordon covers 10 and 15. In an ideal world you could have IFL coming off the bench covering 9 and wing which he can. Failing that Cale is capable of covering some minutes on the wing if he had to.
Since we're picking a 23 here's mine, as of breakfast this morning and can change in 30 mins, selecting with some hope.

1. Bell (Slipper if injured)
2. Faessler ( need those rolling maul tries
3. AAA ( although got pasted last night)
4. Swain ( Frost can't be selected when he is playing for the reserves
5. Skelton (Neville / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) if not around, need a big strong bastard)
6. Swinton (Tougher then others Wright if not)
7. McReight (nuff said)
8. Valentini
9. Lonergan (Kicker to start with)
10. Gordon ( gets it for being the best open play Ten)
11. Koroibete ( if his out Toole nothing beats speed)
12. Paisami ( I'd be look at Samu if I can)
13. Lenny ( best 13 we have)
14. Kellaway (He could be 15 as well but scores so many on the wing)
15. Wright (His got all the skills to be 15 and second playmaker)
16. Pollard
17. Slipper
18. Thor
19. Holloway
20. Remier ( best finisher in super rugby)
21. Toole (if not starting Petaia if he is)
22. Lolesio
23. McDermott

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
IFL should be no where near the Wallabies, his been well down.. if Gordon could kick I'd start White at 9 , Tate on the bench

capalaba

Allen Oxlade (6)

For example

2. Faessler
3. AAAA
4. Frost
5. Skelton or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Wright
7. McReight
8. Valentini
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
15. Kellaway

16. Pollard
17. Slipper or Hodgman
18. Tupou
19. Rodda
20. Holloway
21. Cale
22. Lonergan
23. Gordon

This is close to my match day 23, good common sense selections.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Since we're picking a 23 here's mine, as of breakfast this morning and can change in 30 mins, selecting with some hope.

1. Bell (Slipper if injured)
2. Faessler ( need those rolling maul tries
3. AAA ( although got pasted last night)
4. Swain ( Frost can't be selected when he is playing for the reserves
5. Skelton (Neville / LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) if not around, need a big strong bastard)
6. Swinton (Tougher then others Wright if not)
7. McReight (nuff said)
8. Valentini
9. Lonergan (Kicker to start with)
10. Gordon ( gets it for being the best open play Ten)
11. Koroibete ( if his out Toole nothing beats speed)
12. Paisami ( I'd be look at Samu if I can)
13. Lenny ( best 13 we have)
14. Kellaway (He could be 15 as well but scores so many on the wing)
15. Wright (His got all the skills to be 15 and second playmaker)
16. Pollard
17. Slipper
18. Thor
19. Holloway
20. Remier ( best finisher in super rugby)
21. Toole (if not starting Petaia if he is)
22. Lolesio
23. McDermott
Not sure why Swinton gets a nod, he hasn't done enough

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not sure why Swinton gets a nod, he hasn't done enough
I'd seen him have a few decent games recently, but granted don't watch enough Tahs. Could replace him with Holloway, Wright or Tom Hooper. Alternatively move Bobby there and select Cale

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Whoever it is they need to be an effective 3rd lineout option

McReight & Valentini are given so the third needs balance out their weaknesses

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If they are ditching the Giteau law can we get Sio back in there? He was in good nick when he left and our prop depths are kind of pathetic once you get past AAA, Bell and old man Slips.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If they are ditching the Giteau law can we get Sio back in there? He was in good nick when he left and our prop depths are kind of pathetic once you get past AAA, Bell and old man Slips.
They have confirmed that they are not ditching it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Will be interesting to see what happens with Swain now that he has announced he's leaving the Brumbies:

No word on where to yet so it could be a move within Australia, but that seems unlikely. Assuming he is leaving the country I'm not too sure Schmidt will pick him above other locks who are staying.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty sure Sio has sufficient Wallaby caps to be picked under the Giteau rule.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They have confirmed that they are not ditching it.
Ah fair enough.

They should. They should just run Super Rugby on whatever budget would make it somewhat sustainable and select our test players from overseas. I think surely that's where we end up either way right?