• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It's not injury prone like Bell or Jorgenson though. Wrights injuries are not similar or even related. Yet no one will question the other two players selection.
I personally would and did question Jorgensen's inclusion in the last Wallaby squad, and I would question it if he was selected again this year. EOYT maybe as a development player. Bell is a bit different, he's easily our best LHP, or at least our only one with world class potential. I wouldn't be making him captain though.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If McReight is injured, who's starting 7?
Probably Wright.

After him Tizzano and Reimer are the main candidates. Wilkin probably would've been high on that list if not for his injury. I think he's due back in a week or two, so he might be able to push his way back into contention, but he has a hell of a lot of ground to make up now. Gamble's form has been well down the past 2 years from when he was originally talked about as a wallaby and I don't think the tahs performances this year will help his case.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Probably Wright.

After him Tizzano and Reimer are the main candidates. Wilkin probably would've been high on that list if not for his injury. I think he's due back in a week or two, so he might be able to push his way back into contention, but he has a hell of a lot of ground to make up now. Gamble's form has been well down the past 2 years from when he was originally talked about as a wallaby and I don't think the tahs performances this year will help his case.
He's obviously very familiar with the position, but do we risk playing someone at 7 who hasn't played there in several years? Especially with Bryant getting the nod at 7 over him when McReight was out (understand there were other considerations at play though)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's obviously very familiar with the position, but do we risk playing someone at 7 who hasn't played there in several years? Especially with Bryant getting the nod at 7 over him when McReight was out (understand there were other considerations at play though)
Yeah suspect Wright would've shifted to 7 if someone like Uru was available.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
For mine, Wright's play is still pretty suited to 7 and I think his form makes him the obvious choice. His lineout work also gives you a bit more freedom around the other selections in the backrow to balance things out.

It's all a hypothetical though and the nature of the theoretical injury to McReight would play a pretty big role - if he's out for a short period you're much more likely to look at Wright there, if it's longer than you consider bringing someone else in to cover that role.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Smokey but I wouldn't be surprised if Rory Scott is brought into the squad as the backup 7, I've been quietly impressed by him over the last few weeks and he reminds me of a younger Josh van der Flier. Wouldn't surprise me if he manages to sneak into the squad if he holds the Brumbies 7 jersey for the rest of the season and they push deep into the finals.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
McReight is a clear standout isn't he? Presumably M Hooper will suit up for the Marlins after the Olympics, before if he doesn't make it. I'd be including him in the 34 man squad once available if I was Joe Schmidt. I realise it's a lot different conditioning but nothing beats match fitness.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
McReight is a clear standout isn't he? Presumably M Hooper will suit up for the Marlins after the Olympics, before if he doesn't make it. I'd be including him in the 34 man squad once available if I was Joe Schmidt. I realise it's a lot different conditioning but nothing beats match fitness.

FFS - no more Hooper, Cooper, Genia etc

We are at the part of the World Cup cycle where you look to develop the next generation of rugby players not wheel out the players who are nearing retirement.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't agree with Hooper being anywhere near the Wallabies but was wondering what his plans will be after the Olympics. I still think he would add value to a Super rugby team for a year or 2 - maybe the Force.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't agree with Hooper being anywhere near the Wallabies but was wondering what his plans will be after the Olympics. I still think he would add value to a Super rugby team for a year or 2 - maybe the Force.
Meh Gamble isn't lighting the world on fire. He can come straight back to NSW thanks.

Doubt he will though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

We are at the part of the World Cup cycle where you look to develop the next generation of rugby players not wheel out the players who are nearing retirement.

I don't think anyone is suggesting these players will be in the 23 but one thing the Wallabies sorely lacked last year was experience in the squad.

Our backs in particular are incredibly inexperienced. Joe Schmidt went to lengths to talk about how much coaching is player to player. I think there's a reasonable chance we will see some older players in the squads this year that probably won't make the matchday 23 but will be there to add a lot of experience and expertise at training.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think anyone is suggesting these players will be in the 23 but one thing the Wallabies sorely lacked last year was experience in the squad.

Our backs in particular are incredibly inexperienced. Joe Schmidt went to lengths to talk about how much coaching is player to player. I think there's a reasonable chance we will see some older players in the squads this year that probably won't make the matchday 23 but will be there to add a lot of experience and expertise at training.
Correct. Have Hoops in the environment and available in a 'break glass' scenario. I'd include one (not both) of the #10s that SouthernX hates in that category as well, and any other positions where we lack international experience and depth.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Hooper is only an injury and a poor selection decision from being in our most recent Wallabies squad. He's decided to go in another direction (not retire) but in the absence of a barnstorming emergence of a new contender at #7 in the next 4 rounds he should at least be a squaddie.