• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies - a changing of the guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
I wouldn't be surprised to see Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) miss the squad.

I wouldn't be either based on what has been going on. Would be good for them to sort out their off field issues and their attitude that they are somehow above the team

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I suspect as a new coach Link will call a very wide training group to get a look at as many players and combos as he can. To that end I expect JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) will be in the squad. From there it all depends on what he sees. Unfortunately for us as fans we wont be seeing what he sees, but at least it allows us to speculate.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Link is one of the great pragmatic coaches, if he thinks Cooper is the best test option, he will make the selection compromises to cover for his clear and obvious weaknesses.

At the Reds that means selecting someone to tackle for him so he could move to 15 in defence for "counter attack".

Deans went through the same dilemma when he wore out Digby as Cooper moved to "defend" on the wing until the ABs isolated Cooper and tore him a new one.

So who does he select for that defensive role in the Wobs?

If Link's conventional approach of having him move to 15 is the prime option, who does pick as the "tackler?"

The favourite 15 options would be Mogg or Folau or Beale - they would be wasted as they are all known primarily for their attacking prowess.

You would think To'omua @ 15, he would be the best defensive option to do Cooper's work

I would still be selecting a 15 at 15.. Perfect Foil would be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but for god sake just leave him at 13

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looking to the EOYT, I would love to see something like

1. Robbo
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Pyle
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Folau
12. Lilo
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
15. Mogg

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. MMM
20. Hooper
21. White
22. To'omua ( a real compromise as he only covers 10, but he needs the experience as he is our best prospect going forward)
23. Needs to be 13/wing cover. I want it to be Kuirindrani, but don't know if he covers wing?

Not much to argue with in that squad. But I think there is every possibility that Moore and Horwill will be given a rest. Both have played a lot of games and they have been very taxing. Also, I believe there is an agreed limit on the number of games each player can play in a year. Are any of the regulars close to that limit I wonder?

So I would think TPN in for Moore with Hanson and Siliva as backup; Douglas in for Horwill with Neville added to the squad.

Matt To'omua has deputised at 12 when injuries have hit the Brumbies' backline so I don't have a problem with his versatility. I think also that Kuridrani started out playing wing early on with the Brumbies in trial matches. No problem there either. But would have to have the Honey Badger in there as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But on this cooper defending @ 10 thing did you notice how wide both Carter and Cruden defended last week?
True it was off phase play by you couldnt say that either of them are defending as 10s, I reckon.

In Cruden's case, he has not been defending at 10 in most games I've watched this year. And when he does, he is a bit of a turnstile (ask Quade). But the ABs more than compensate for any weakness there, whether real or imagined (by me). Also, how many clearing kicks by Dan have been charged down this year. On this point, Cruden has mastered the technique of charging at Dan's left shoulder and has bagged a couple of tries by doing so.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It is a little harsh on Alexander. He was doing pretty well right up until the last test and Kepu was not much better when he came on.
It will be interesting to see how the new engage sequence affects the scrum. Are they going to be able to get the pill in and out before they come under pressure more easily?
For mine Slipper would be our best TH prospect but there is not much chance he will play there for Qld. He is becoming a big lump and may be a very good anchor for our pack. Ryan looks to be extremely strong and hopefully Link and others will be able to refine his technique.
I would be very surprised if Alexander was not named in the Links first squad. We need 4 able props in each test 23 and Alexander offers a lot for a test prop, particularly if we are playing an up tempo game and he replaces a starter late in a game.

Doesn't Holmes play 1 mostly and Slipper play 3?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, Slipper plays tighthead for the Reds, but loosehead for the Wallabies........

Just like when Kepu was playing tighthead for the Tahs but played loosehead for the Wallabies when Alexander was playing loosehead for the Brumbies but tighthead for the Wallabies.........

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd wager that Slipper won't be moving from THP anytime soon at the Reds, either.

Reds LHPs: Holmes, Anae, Daley, of which Anae is the best scrummager in my opinion. Holmes can also play THP, but isn't great at it. Daley is, by far, the worst scrummager of the lot, but best around the field.

Reds THPs: Slipper, Jono Owen (and Holmes), of which Slipper is probably the best scrummager at THP, and I would guess and say there's not much between the other two, maybe Owen even being a better scrummager but Holmes way in front around the park.

Slipper still needs more development at THP. His scrummaging is only OK for test level in my book, and I'm a fan. That's the part of his game that still needs work as I think top LHPs can work him over.

Scott Allen and RugbyReg and others close to the Reds no doubt have more informed opinions than me, though.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Here's a radical idea (stay with me folks):-
How about selecting props and hookers on their ability at the scrum and lineout? Anything else is a bonus.
Scrums and lineouts are too important in terms of retaining/winning ball and not giving away free kicks/penalties.

Implement a "No dickheads" policy. It seems to work at the Swans.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There is some flexibility around selections for specific positions - Mowen can play 6 or 8, Dennis has played both for the Tahs, 11 and 14 are reasonably interchangeable and some players can play wing and fullback, Douglas and Horwill can play 4 or 5. BUT, as a general rule players should be playing one position week-in/week-out and almost always if a player is playing a position in Super rugby that should be his position for the Wallabies.

Had Lilo been playing 10 this year for the Brumbies he should have been up for selection at 10 against the Lions and debutant or not he would have made a much better fist of it than JOC (James O'Connor). But as he has been playing 12 he should be considered for selection at 12. We could, and I've done it just to see what it looks like, do a spreadsheet with the best five players for each position. You can argue about the order of merit for each position selected, but there's absolutely no doubt we have good depth to choose from almost everywhere. At 13 we are definitely light-on and the quality of our 2's and 3's are very uneven (our best 3 is headed overseas after he recovers from injury). For the rest you can name 5 good alternatives who would not disgrace the team.

So I think Link does not have too hard a job to select for the next RC, though we will get some injuries over the 7 games that will narrow the options. Knowing Link, what we will have is a carefully prepared gameplan for each game and the best team selected from the five alternatives for each position to play according to the gameplan. If he decides to play a field position game against SA then To'omua can start at 10, if we are going to run at NZ from everywhere then Cooper would start at 10. The gameplan dictates the choices.

The difference from Deans will be stark. Playing with poor or no gameplans with people playing out of position just won't happen anymore. We may not always win but I bet we do way better than 58%. Bring it on.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Interesting to note his comment about having to blood new players to ensure the future is looked after just as much as the present. I think this alludes to players like To'omua, White, Schatz, Godwin etc. etc. TRC will be largely governed by an experienced playing group I suspect and then he will go beserk on the EOYT and bring along a heap of new players, just as we all have hoped.

God it is so unbelievably good to finally have a competent speaker in charge of the Wobs. I know the results are more important but it just sends a really good message to the fans and players that he means business and isn't going to bullshit around.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
When considering the new scrum laws coming in I think we can assume that Moore will remain first choice Hooker this year. But looking forward the skill set will change as to what is required and we may well see the old type Hooker make a come back. Somebody able to lift a foot and actually hook the ball. This will require a change in props as well.

I think if Scott Allen or someone similar does a video on how to correctly hook the ball in the scrum it could get record views on youtube for a rugby instructional video, especially amoungst the elite No. 2s in our game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think if Scott Allen or someone similar does a video on how to correctly hook the ball in the scrum it could get record views on youtube for a rugby instructional video, especially amoungst the elite No. 2s in our game.
It means the hooker has to move from a straight pushing position, it will be character building for a few

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So what is our top playing pool looking like at the moment (roughly):

Prop: Robinson, Sio, Alexander, Slipper, Kepu, Ryan
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Hanson, Fainga'a
Lock: Horwill, Douglas, Pyle, Simmons, Carter, Fardy, Skelton, Neville
Backrow: Mowen, Pocock, Hooper, Gill, Palu, MMM, Higginbotham, Dennis, McCalman, Aeulua, Jones, Schatz, Quirk

Halfback: Genia, White, Phipps
Flyhalf: To'omua, Coooper, Foley
Centre: Lilo, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Kuridrani, McCabe, Godwin, Tapuai, Inman
Wing/Fullback: Folau, Mogg, Speight, Honey Badger, Tomane, Betham, Morahan, Crawford, Shipperley

Burgers & Fries: JOC (James O'Connor), Beale

I haven't included players departing later in the year: Kimlin, Palmer, Barnes, Ioane etc

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
So what is our top playing pool looking like at the moment (roughly):

Prop: Robinson, Sio, Alexander, Slipper, Kepu, Ryan
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Hanson, Fainga'a
Lock: Horwill, Douglas, Pyle, Simmons, Carter, Fardy, Skelton, Neville
Backrow: Mowen, Pocock, Hooper, Gill, Palu, MMM, Higginbotham, Dennis, McCalman, Aeulua, Jones, Schatz, Quirk

Halfback: Genia, White, Phipps
Flyhalf: To'omua, Coooper
Centre: Lilo, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Kuridrani, McCabe, Godwin, Tapuai, Inman
Wing/Fullback: Folau, Mogg, Speight, Honey Badger, Tomane, Betham, Morahan, Crawford, Shipperley

Burgers & Fries: JOC (James O'Connor), Beale

I haven't included players departing later in the year: Kimlin, Palmer, Barnes, Ioane etc

That's a pretty good list. I'd add Cowan to the LHP's (he's been good this year in a beaten team) and Foley to the 10's (he's come on in leaps and bounds).

I wouldn't discard Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). Have a look at the 2010 Wallaby mash-up in the site videos. Some of their skills on show, especially Beale's, were breathtaking. They just need some real tough love to put their heads back in the right place.

madflyhalf

Stan Wickham (3)
Come on guys we've discussed over the last 3 years for players selected in their wrong position, and you started a "changing of the guard" thread saying Cooper could fill the 15 spot?!?

Really??

How did the fuck go the last time we've seen that (RWC Semi 2011)??

I'm a bit afraid of McKenzie rushing back Cooper, he can create another divide in the group between his friends, and the ones that didn't appreciate at all his media/social network behaviour.

I don't think that Cooper is not a test player, I think he must regain confidence in a championship stage, not a do-or-die series...

I'd like to see him back on Rugby Championship, but I firmly believe that Matt To'omua is Wallabies' 10 for the future, not him!
And To'omua is 23, it's time to bring him in without wasting others opportunities!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

I think this really has the possibility of changing the whole dynamic of the front row and scrums far more than anybody thinks ATM. Those who have been previously regarded as poor front rowers because they consistently lose the hit may suddenly find themselves very effective front rowers if not dominant. This will cause a big re-think and maybe BA may well find himself able to resurrect his TH career which at this stage must look like going the way of Al Baxter's.

Also of note I have had to shake my head at the significant number of NH posters (on another site) claiming that the new scrum rules are really a SH, especially Australian, plot to depower the scrum to hide deficiencies. It is bemusing really, since for those who don't know it originated in the NH and one of the biggest proponents is none other than Brian Moore.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm pretty sure Cooper's newfound maturity will last precisely as long as Khoder Nasser deems fit. But I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.