• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies EOYT 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Cheika won't confirm the severity of the Dempsey injury but has said
Dempsey - highly unlikely for the tour.
Tui - needs a scan but hopefully not too bad
Rory Arnold - might miss the tour too with a knee injury

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Does that mean Hanagan at six? Can we shoe horn Palu into the squad?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

McCalman has done a Stephen Bradbury and earned himself a spot on the tour. Disappointing news about the injuries.

Carter has to come into the squad to replace Rodda, Douglas for Tui, and I think someone like Staniforth could be a smokey for Dempsey. Throw in Phillips as well for a bit of extra depth in those lock/blindside positions.

Reactions: mst

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Does that mean Hanagan at six? Can we shoe horn Palu into the squad?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
He's 2 caps short of the 60 so technically not plus he's retired from test rugby. With Dempsey out I'd personally move McMahon to 6 and based on today's performance mccalman at 8. Timani remained underwhelming but take him on tour with Hanigan and Hardwick as the b graders and Liam wright the apprentice.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He's 2 caps short of the 60 so technically not plus he's retired from test rugby. With Dempsey out I'd personally move McMahon to 6 and based on today's performance mccalman at 8. Timani remained underwhelming but take him on tour with Hanigan and Hardwick as the b graders and Liam wright the apprentice.

I think this makes the most sense. McMahon to 6, Timani or McCalman at 8, probably the latter. Phillip maybe to get a call up?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Wright makes Hanigan look muscle bound. 97 kgs. He needs an off season.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fox Sports advertising Wallabies v Japan as East v West.

WTF? Last time I checked, Australia was in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think this makes the most sense. McMahon to 6, Timani or McCalman at 8, probably the latter. Phillip maybe to get a call up?
Shame Naisarani's not available he would fill the void nicely. McCalman was playing 6 today when he came on so he could potentially slot in there and McMahon can stay at 8. Apart from where they pack down in the scrum I can't see the number on their backs changing their roles too much.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Phillip had some handling issues today but was very busy when he came on. His form during the year for the Force and more lately for the Spirit must have him in with a shot.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Phipps wasn't too impressive in the Barbarians game, reckon it's time we see any of Powell, Ruru, or Gordon given some time off the bench at some point on the tour.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Mccalman has come from nowhere, what a game. He has to tour.
I really don't think Douglas has done anything for 2 years to deserve selection but we are really short on options. Phillips should go as well.
I think hardwick and Ross Hayley Petty are both recovering from surgery as well, otherwise would be good options.

Meakes was disappointing may have blown his chance

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think McCalman to 8 would be great but McMahon will probably stay there so 6 would be ok.

Douglas has been a passenger for a while and needs to go and find some form. His hard hits in defence used to earn him a spot but he’s dropped off in that area and others have stepped up.

Hanigan needs to be left at home so he can put on a bit of size and focus on a few key areas. He lost at least two line outs when the ball was stripped from him in the air and he was manhandled by Quade in a tackle.

Meakes was in a difficult position as he was playing outside Duncan who didn’t have a great distribution game. Outside Foley or someone who plays 10 a bit more he would get a bit more ball.

I also thought Phipps was underwhelming at 9 and as captain. It would be great to see someone else get some more game time. Powell wasn’t that great in his little cameo too though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With Mr. "call up Liam Wright & Folau Fainga'a" Cheika in charge, it's impossible to know who he sees as the obvious replacement for the tour.

Is Dane HP back for spring tour? Can Mr Fix-It Hodgey play there? Is Andrew Kellaway a smokey, or even Jack Maddocks? Quade?!? Tom Banks?
Andrew kellaway form this year imo sees him well down the pecking order - for a smokey I would like to see banks selected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How big is the squad that we're taking on this tour? And who do you all think will be the side facing Japan?

Ideally, I'd like to see a slightly larger than normal squad, with a B XV to face Japan, with A team reinforcements on the bench incase things get a little bit how-ya-goin.

I'd then like to see some B team players filtered into the 23 against Wales and Scotland (only a couple each time - we can't afford to take the piss) and a full strength 23 to go against England.

Players like Kepu, Coleman, Hooper, Genia, Foley have all played a tremendous amount of rugby in the past little while across a crazy amount of the world.

As the spine of the team going into the World Cup we certainly need to protect them.
You kidding about b players against Scotland and wales. We have struggled in the past to beat these sides with our a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I’d be leaving the Dicko look alike at home so he can work on some reactions of outrage which are different to his bosses - at the moment he’s not adding anything to the squad.
Meakes was not helped by the 10 playing a bit of a lone hand.
Douglas did little.
McCalman was disturbingly good.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So we want 35 players:

Props: Sio, Kepu, Alan, Robertson, Faulkner
Hookers: TPN, Uelese, Moore
Locks: Coleman, Simmons, Douglas, Arnold (Carter if unavailable)
Loosies: Hooper, McMahon, Hanigan, McCalman, Timani
9s: Genia, Phipps, Powell
10s: Foley, Pauaia, Cooper
Centres: Kuridrani, Beale, Meakes, Kerevi
Back three: Hodge, Koroibete, Speight, Hunt, Nayaravoro, Rona

That's 33. Need another loosie and maybe a smokey

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My smokey would be Christian Lealiifano. Under contract to the Brumbies and playing good quality rugby in England by all reports, so I think he's eligible and would certainly shore up a spot that is currently a weakness in the Wallabies' side.

Status
Not open for further replies.