• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies - how not to lose, rather than win

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
lets face it...mutton dressed as lamb guys......we are suggesting now that Sheehan is the solution??...need the injured guys back or we need to unearth new talent. These guys are just not as good as the guys they are facing. Yes they try and try and we keep trying and trying to get them up but we are missing too many world class stars.. Genia,Horwell O'Connor ,Lealiifano, Cooper will make a world of difference....be patient

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That article was brutally honest, but on the money for mine. This Wallaby team, regardless of the injury list, is playing some of the worst footy in my living memory. By my reckoning we're barely above break even for the year and for a number 2 team that isn't good enough.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
lets face it.mutton dressed as lamb guys..we are suggesting now that Sheehan is the solution??.need the injured guys back or we need to unearth new talent. These guys are just not as good as the guys they are facing. Yes they try and try and we keep trying and trying to get them up but we are missing too many world class stars.. Genia,Horwell O'Connor ,Lealiifano, Cooper will make a world of difference..be patient

I would agree with all of that except Cooper.
I don't need to go into all my misgivings. Its enough to suggest that I don't see that he would or could have had a better time of it than KB (Kurtley Beale) given the service and the lack of go forward.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I couldn't agree more.

Those that say they are optimists and put others down for trying to intelligently discuss deficiencies in the wallabies camp for a couple of years are really just being disrespectful trolls.

I wouldn't put someone down for intelligently trying to discuss the deficiencies in the Wallabies camp. The problem is that for me, there intelligent arguments are often accompanied by ridiculous sensational statements. I am an emotional Rugby supporter, and I'm hurting right now because something is most definitely off in Aus Rugby. But laying the blame solely at the feet of Robbie Deans is simply ridiculous. This is the underlying tone of the article.

The article has some good points but also a lot of rubbish.

Yes, Australia flanker Dave Dennis illegally was held back but if he doesn't know better than to keep out of reach of the grappling hooks in that position, he shouldn't be wearing a 6 on his back.
It was Dave's fault he was obstructed? Really? Yes Deans should be doing a far better job of coaching his players on how not to be illegally obstructed.

Interestingly, Australia eight minutes later received a penalty in the corresponding position at the other end of the field and never considered backing their scrum the way the French had.
I think this is meant to be a criticism. Apparently not opting for a scrum when your scrum is getting smashed and instead electing to take some points is a bad thing?

Arguably the return of Digby Ioane,David Pocock, Ben Alexander and Timani against England will provide some stiffening. But no one was lamenting their absence before the Paris Test...
What?!?! No one was lamenting thier absence?!?! Pretty sure I've heard the odd whisper about our injury problems and the fact that we have some good players out.

I could continue but I think I've made my point. Yes this is an emotional topic and intelligent debate is a good thing. I am an optimist and I'll try not to put anyone down who has an intelligent discussion but sometimes it's the heart talking instead of the head.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I liked what Barnes added when he came on.

Tapaui was quiet, but I'd like to see a stat on his touches, I reckon he had his hands on the ball a sum total of 3 times? He looked fine to me and although I'd prefer him at 12, I think he is a long term centre for Australia. I would like to know who you think is the best centre at the Reds?

I do get the feeling though that you could watch the same game with someone other than Deans as Wallabies coach and you would give a far different appraisal.

Ant Fainga'a is far more important to the Reds than Taps. I would wager he's the 3rd man picked (even ahead of Digby), and one of the backline's auto-selections.

If you think its a coincidence that he was injured against the Sharks (and they promptly gave up their massive lead and lost), and the Reds were then slaughtered by the Bulls and the Force, and struggled through after that. He returned against the Blues, and then to the starting side against the Crusaders, and suddenly the Reds defence was impregnable again, being the first team to hold the Crusaders tryless at home for donkeys years.

Add that to the Hurricane game last year, where he was benched (to give Tapaui a run), and the Reds gave up 3-4 tries in the first half. Fainga'a replaced Taps just before half time, and hey presto they didn't let a single try in after that.

Without him, the Reds like the Wallabies of 2010. Lots of attack, but spineless defence. And for those who think he's rubbish in attack: he's been a first choice player since Link started coaching, startin almost every game he was fit to. The Reds have hardly been rubbish in attack, have they? So he's clearly not the 'flair-retardant' centre most people seem to think.

Now, don't get me wrong: Tapaui is a good player. However, the fawning over him based on his form this year (a couple of excellent games, and a few decent one's), is just NOT justified at all, and I will continue to point that out.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wouldn't put someone down for intelligently ...<snip>

I actually wouldn't have regarded you as an optimist actually. Your posts are generally well structured and well thought out and if you are positive about something you back that up with some meaningful justification. That puts you more in the realms of "realist" with a hint of positivity thrown in.

The posts and/or journalism I am referring to is:

Person A> I don't believe we will win this weekend because our performances of late don't seem to be resulting in a lot of points being scored. The team we are playing this weekend is a tough one to beat as they are defensively strong.

person B> How dare you say something against your team. You are not a supporter of your team. We are ranked second for a reason Yada yada yada

I enjoy reading your posts.

*edit* I am the first to admit that I can let my heart rule over my head sometimes.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ant Fainga'a is far more important to the Reds than Taps. I would wager he's the 3rd man picked (even ahead of Digby), and one of the backline's auto-selections.

You raise some good points. Ant is very important to the Reds. As for who is the best centre?? I guess that's still up for debate but probably in another thread. Mainly because 12 and 13 are becoming vastly different positions these days. My question of you I think was a reaction to your criticism of his game on the weekend. I thought, and still think it was a bit tough.

Funny thing is that we're debating two players in their capacity at 13. To solve an argument between a work mate and I, I tweeted them both a while ago and they both said they saw themselves as a 12. ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What do we make of Scotland being able to score 2 tries against the Darkness?
Haven't seen the game but it is disturbing that they managed what we couldn't/cant.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The problem with the Wallabies now is the culture. We need a circuit breaker to be thrown so we can reset the whole system.

That circuit breaker is sacking Robbie Deans. I feel sorry for the guy amid a terrible injury crisis, but the truth is he has had his shot and it is now just wasting everyones time waiting for the switch to be thrown.

Why is the ARU waiting? It is inevitable.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
You raise some good points. Ant is very important to the Reds. As for who is the best centre?? I guess that's still up for debate but probably in another thread. Mainly because 12 and 13 are becoming vastly different positions these days. My question of you I think was a reaction to your criticism of his game on the weekend. I thought, and still think it was a bit tough.

Funny thing is that we're debating two players in their capacity at 13. To solve an argument between a work mate and I, I tweeted them both a while ago and they both said they saw themselves as a 12. ;)

Oh I've always seen Ant as a 12. He plays well at 13, but i've held the view for a while that we're going totally the wrong way with our centres.

IMO Beiber is the one who should be playing 13. The game has long moved on from the small ball playing 12, we've never won anything without a genuinely hard, straight ball runner at 12. If he has ball skills, all the better, but think back: Tim Horan, Nathan Grey, (world cups, bledisloes, tri-nations, Lions series, Number 1 ranking) then.....Giteau, Barnes...(um.....a decade without the Bledisloe....no tri-nations...no world cups....) ?

The kiwis switched onto this after about 2003/2004, and went with Nonu, and a smaller, more agile ball playing 13. The problem with the 2nd fly half at 12, is that there isn't anyone to straighten up the attack before the ball goes wide. With no one forcing the defence to hold ( by always running straight and hard and at the goalposts rather than the sideline) and tackle the 12, they just drift, and we end up needing a Mortlock style 13 to actually make metres.

If we went with a

Cooper, Fainga'a, Beiber
Lealiifano, McCabe, Beiber

....we would be in much better condition. The 12 leads the defence, tackles OFFENSIVELY (IE on the OTHER side of the gainline) and forces errors in the opposition backline. Barnes is a great tackler, but he's very passive, as was Giteau.Yes, a centre rushing up can be exploited, but that is what you have flankers/halfbacks for, to run a covering line and mop up any potential bushfires). At the height of our powers, (1999-2002) we had Nathan Grey eating anyone foolish enough to run into the 12 channel, forcing 2 things: The opposition to look before they catch the ball (you do, if you get levelled in the first 10mins of the game, for the rest of the match you're always keeping an eye out for that hitman who belted you), which means more errors and less fluency in the attack. 2nd, it forces them to either go the 10 channel which will give Pocock and Hooper a field day, OR they go wider and attack at 13/wings, which...brings me back to what they're doing to us: then we can shepherd them wide to the sideline, cramp their space, and ask more questions.

At the moment, they make metres running at 12. They may go down, but they still get forward momentum, and build pressure (especially with that stat about the kiwi's finishing their rucks in less than 3 seconds, 60% of the time, as opposed to our 20-30% - we have hardly anytime to realign and organise and it puts more pressure on us).

Beiber is a great tackler and defender, but isn't an aggressive defender in general. If paired outside Fainga'a/McCabe, he's following their lead, and the man HE is marking is under much more pressure from shit passes/less space/less time etc etc, so his around the leg style tackling is perfectly suited to the 13 channel. What we can NOT do, though, is pair 2 players like McCabe and Fainga'a together, because then it does stunt the attack. That could only work if we had a fully fit and firing back three of Mitchell/Beale/Beiber.

I'm not against Taps, but he has to prove himself for another few seasons, and show that without him his team is poorer, like Fainga'a has.

TBH, I just don't know yet who is the better 10, Cooper or Lilo. Lealiifano was immense this year, though he hasn't stayed fit for long enough to show us what he's got at test level. Cooper's passing game, and ability to beat an entire backline's defensive set up with nothing but a delayed long pass (ala Bernie), is invaluable, but if he's chosen then you HAVE to model your gameplan and backline around HIM. You can't say 'this is the plan, fit in or fuck off', and then pick Cooper. You have to tailor the game/attack/players to his style which the Reds have done to huge success.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What do we make of Scotland being able to score 2 tries against the Darkness?
Haven't seen the game but it is disturbing that they managed what we couldn't/cant.
Actually IS Scotland scored 3 tries this morning, and mate you missed a bloody good game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I just wonder why we say Cooper is one of injured players, last I heard him say he wasn't available for Wallabies if he was fit.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I'm watching Phipps' pass action. It's a sling. The ball travels in a big arc around his pass and is flung off vaguely in the direction he wants it.

This also means he can't pass close to the ruck, as his action won't allow it.

This in turn means he can't pass from the base of the ruck, he stands up, lifts his arms up, hops twice then flings it.

It's inevitable with that technique his pass will be bad.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Actually IS Scotland scored 3 tries this morning, and mate you missed a bloody good game.

It was a great game and Scotland were able to penetrate with ball in hand and respond quickly to turnover ball to score points.
On the other hand the ABs made huge yards over the ad line every time they had the ball.
Scotland need to work on their defense

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Obviously Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Lilo, Horwill, Palmer etc can help shore everything up but the Wallabies have performed way below par at times when these guys(not Lilo) have been on the field in the last 12 months as well.
I read yesterday Deans is now the longest serving Wallaby coach and has the worst coaching record for the same in the pro era? That is just f*#cking Bullsh*t.

He has to go. Not all the problems lie with him(most of them are connected to him in some way) but that sure is a good point to start the clean up. He is ultimately responsible for the the way the Wallabies play and their results.
Look at the LA Lakers. They sacked their coach this week after 5 games for having their worst ever start to a season.(1-4). It just makes sense. They couldn't afford not to. The ARU couldn't afford not to sack Deans after his failed RWC campaign but somehow they didn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.