• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies: Latest Injuries and selection for Test 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Appointed by or approved by the IRB? If the latter and appointed by the ARU then an Appeal can be justified but if it can't be heard before the test then it will just make the whole thing ten times worse and risk compromising the seemingly positive atmosphere at the games which will be bad for the game.
Appointed by the IRB!!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moore and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) have both been quoted by the Australian the past couple of days suggesting that JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale will receive the riot act by their teammates when the Lions series has concluded.........

In the very week in which Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has shown extraordinary faith in both players, promoting Beale from the bench into the starting side at fullback and resisting widespread calls to move O'Connor out of the crucial playmaking role at five-eighth, he also was forced to pull the two of them into line.
"We've had a conversation for sure," said Deans. "It's not the best practice in terms of sleeping habits. They understand it was too late for them to get to bed.
"Suffice to say it was not a comfortable conversation."
There might be an even more uncomfortable conversation awaiting the two players from their team-mates once the Lions series is over.
Australia's current senior back, 78-Test veteran Adam Ashley-Cooper said the incident happened too deep into the Wallabies preparation for the senior players to intervene because it could distract them from their build-up.
"I think that was something initially for the management to address," said Ashley-Cooper. "The senior players can certainly address that post-Lions series."
In the wake of the David Warner punch fiasco, Cricket Australia's James Sutherland made the astute observation that "nothing good ever happens in a bar at 2.30 in the morning".
Well, he might have added that there's little benefit in being in a fast-food outlet at 4 in the morning, either.
Wallabies coach Robbie Deans long ago had the chance to pull these two serial offenders into line and chose not to: short-term gain for long-term cultural pain. Now, encouragingly, there are indications the senior players have had enough. Stephen Moore wasted no time going on to the front foot about it yesterday, volunteering that there would be a reckoning for the pair once the Lions series is done and dusted.

P

Paradox

The tight 5 (and subs) were a lot better than the backrow forwards other than Mowen. Hooper and Palu had little impact last week IMO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Based on the graph, assuming that what Palu does in the 1st half is enough, he has to be replaced at half time.
But I thought I saw some figures suggesting that most of his 1st half contribution occurs in the first 20 minutes. If so he is really only a bench player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Hooper had little impact? You have a very ignorant rugby brain. His out of the line tackling was critical to stopping the Lions forwards behind the ad. line and allowing the Wallabies to dominate the breakdown. Palu had the best workrate and impact of all the forwards. Won his collisions. Very good game.

sebastian guti bello

Frank Row (1)
I think 13 is a lot harder to defend than 12. For the most part I believe defending at 12 is similar to defending at 10.

In that case JOC (James O'Connor) to 14, Beale to 10, and Folau to 15. Or even (if fit) Barnes to 10, Beale 15, JOC (James O'Connor) 11, Izzy 14, Lilo 12. We are lucky we have such versatile players in such an injury prone team

I'm sure JOC (James O'Connor) would be playing at his best on the wing, but since his second position is fly half. There for deans has to pull him to play the main roll of the setting up attack since he is undoubtedly one of the more potent attackers. With Cooper the normal first string 10 left out the squad there really is only Beale n JOC (James O'Connor). Also Beale plays better at 15.
I think and hoped that there weren't so many injuries in the Wallabies squad.
Unlike the Lions the Wallabies are cringing with injuries.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Hooper had little impact? You have a very ignorant rugby brain. His out of the line tackling was critical to stopping the Lions forwards behind the ad. line and allowing the Wallabies to dominate the breakdown. Palu had the best workrate and impact of all the forwards. Won his collisions. Very good game.

In that case there must be a lot of us with "very ignorant rugby brains" who think that Mowen was the best backrowerer the wallabies had on the night, Hooper was mediocre and Palu was a passenger.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I'll quote Sharpie, "stick to the backs".

You might want to check the stats because Palu had a higher workrate than Mowen.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In discussing the options for fly half, everybody seems to have totally forgotten that Lilo was the standout in Australian Soup teams last season at 10. Best in the conference, even though he missed half the season because of injury.

I will be very surprised if he does not swap positions with Britney pretty frequently.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Mowen closed down Phillips, that was his job, in fairness to Hooper was in the 3/4 line for much of the game, I didn't see Palu do that much either

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thought similar on Palu and that's why I thought G. Smith may have been a smokey for no8. But it's not that easy IMO to just drop a player if the team as a whole played pretty well and were extremely close in winning the test.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
What am I missing? The stats are Palu 7 runs for 29m and 8 tackles and 3 misses. Mowen 6 runs for 28m and 8 tackles and 4 misses. Palu also hit more rucks. Like I said, perception.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
What am I missing? The stats are Palu 7 runs for 29m and 8 tackles and 3 misses. Mowen 6 runs for 28m and 8 tackles and 4 misses. Palu also hit more rucks. Like I said, perception.
I guess it depends on the quality of the tackles and runs. The Lions followers reckon Mowen monstered their half back and put him off his game. Mowen also called the line outs. The fact that only two of his tackles were deemed dominant by the local guru would count against Palu. I note Sharpie agrees with you about Palu's effectiveness but the guys in the pack might well judge from the pressure he exerts in the scrum and breakdown rather than the tackle run stats. Stats just don't tell you everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Mowen was very good, but so was Palu. Palu's game is very tight, he does the grunt work, that's why he isn't noticed as much.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He carried well again and put in some very big hits in close.
He is a 50-60 minute player and it would be nice next week to have both Smith and Kimlin on the bench. That assuming our 2 second rowers will probably go the distance.
Gill showed his class today. Being able to keep his mitt on that ball was just mesmerizing!

Status
Not open for further replies.