• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies: Latest Injuries and selection for Test 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

Who should play if Horwill is injured? Any other changes? I'd select Smith over Hooper at 7.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Horwill is not available, which is very likely, MMM to take his place.
Smith in for Hooper and Kimlin to 6 or 8. Mowen stays. Cliff Palu to the bench.
Hooper is everywhere but cannot impose himself on the breakdown. Gill and Smith will give us much more against a quickly improving Warburton.
In the backs?
Cooper back and at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. I know it will not happen but it should.
I reckon Deans will leave the backs the same unfortunately. Playing without a 10 that can organise the attack and has the vision to see what options are available has really handicapped us in this series. We could easily have had it in the bag by now.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
You do not change the pack unless forced with Horwill.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Ben Alexander
4. Kane Douglas
5. Rob Simmons
6. Ben Mowen
7. Michael Hooper
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. James O'Connor
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Saia Fainga'a
17. James Slipper
18. Sekope Kepu
19. Hugh McMeniman
20. Peter Kimlin
21. Liam Gill
22. Berrick Barnes
23. Jesse Mogg

You fucking pray Genia doesn't go down because let's face it, you've lost if he does anyway.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If Horwill is not available, which is very likely, MMM to take his place.
Smith in for Hooper and Kimlin to 6 or 8. Mowen stays. Cliff Palu to the bench.
Hooper is everywhere but cannot impose himself on the breakdown. Gill and Smith will give us much more against a quickly improving Warburton.
In the backs?
Cooper back and at 10 with JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing. I know it will not happen but it should.
I reckon Deans will leave the backs the same unfortunately. Playing without a 10 that can organise the attack and has the vision to see what options are available has really handicapped us in this series. We could easily have had it in the bag by now.
Good account

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Obviously the best way to unlock the space the Lions are presenting is to bring Cooper in. It is so obvious that Deans will not do it, so next best is to have a 10 that plays in that position the whole game. Playing three different first receivers is hurting the game of the actual 10, the structure of the backline and puts too much load on Genia. A person with any inkling of sense can see this - why can't Deans?

So, to that end we need to make the following adjustments.

10 Beale
11 Tomane
12 Lilo
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Cummins
15 Folau

Beale organises a backline better than JOC (James O'Connor). Folau to move to 15 to have more time with the ball and defuse the bomb tactic if required.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Would prefer
JOC (James O'Connor) should be in the team, I'd like to see him in 13, but.
JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing over Cummins.
Would prefer Cooper, but that won't happen so To'omua.

Backrow options, I saw Hooper, Smith, Mowen, with Palu to the bench - like it but height? Starting locks if Horwill gets time?

Unfortunately a win means we will see no changes.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Obviously the best way to unlock the space the Lions are presenting is to bring Cooper in. It is so obvious that Deans will not do it, so next best is to have a 10 that plays in that position the whole game. Playing three different first receivers is hurting the game of the actual 10, the structure of the backline and puts too much load on Genia. A person with any inkling of sense can see this - why can't Deans?

So, to that end we need to make the following adjustments.

10 Beale
11 Tomane
12 Lilo
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Cummins
15 Folau

Beale organises a backline better than JOC (James O'Connor). Folau to move to 15 to have more time with the ball and defuse the bomb tactic if required.

I'd leave JOC (James O'Connor) in the team but at 14

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd don't think we'll see any changes unless Horwill gets rubbed out. If he does bring in MMM then start with MMM & keep Simmons on the bench.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I'd don't think we'll see any changes unless Horwill gets rubbed out. If he does bring in MMM then start with MMM & keep Simmons on the bench.

Would we not be falling into the same trap that we have been caught in before by bringing in someone fresh off a serious injury? i would love to see kimlin in the 23. He was massive against the dirt track lions side the other week and is pretty fit & fresh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Can't reference MMM, But Smiths first game back in Soup after a few week out - I have know doubt about his match fitness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when George Smith first played for the Brumbies this year, he wasn't returning from a reasonably serious injury (enough to keep you out for over a month). He might have been short of game time but he hadn't been unable to train for several weeks in the lead up.

I think Smith would be a risk to play. He could very well be excellent, but if he played and had a subdued game then you would put it down to him returning from injury and make the conclusion that it was a bad choice to select him over two 7s who are both playing well and contributing.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when George Smith first played for the Brumbies this year, he wasn't returning from a reasonably serious injury (enough to keep you out for over a month). He might have been short of game time but he hadn't been unable to train for several weeks in the lead up.

I think Smith would be a risk to play. He could very well be excellent, but if he played and had a subdued game then you would put it down to him returning from injury and make the conclusion that it was a bad choice to select him over two 7s who are both playing well and contributing.

Then put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 20 minutes. He is George Smith for crying out loud. His presence alone would lift the team immensely. The probability of it being another match that went down to wire is huge so can you imagine with the scores locked up how our boys would feel seeing him trot on the pitch - not to mention what the Lions would think. This is a guy who has already played series against the Lions and won. He is the guy who redefined the role of a modern 7 and by all accounts, he is a better footballer now than he was when he left Australia.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Hooper has been strong on defense and great with ball in hand. He also hits a lot of rucks. But he's not a breakdown merchant like Smith or Gill and that is an area where we've struggled to make an impact. The Lions, clearly, have focused a lot of their attention there, both strategically and in training -- you can see it in the accuracy and intensity with which they hit the breakdown with numbers. We need to obtain parity in this regard. Smith could make a huge, huge difference.

But bloody hell it's tough to drop Hooper.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Then put him on the bench and bring him on for the last 20 minutes. He is George Smith for crying out loud. His presence alone would lift the team immensely. The probability of it being another match that went down to wire is huge so can you imagine with the scores locked up how our boys would feel seeing him trot on the pitch - not to mention what the Lions would think. This is a guy who has already played series against the Lions and won. He is the guy who redefined the role of a modern 7 and by all accounts, he is a better footballer now than he was when he left Australia.

I agree with all these things.

I also think Gill had a strong impact off the bench in the final 20 minutes.

Things may change if Horwill is rubbed out and more leadership is sought but otherwise I find it hard to change either of two players who are playing well.

I honestly think it is a tough decision whether you bring Smith in at this point. There are plenty of pros, but there the argument of sticking with the status quo is also strong because Hooper and Gill haven't done much wrong.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Let's not forget Australia did not play that well.

But they didn't play that badly either, they competed much better at lineout, had them under pressure at scrum, got a tight head and kept them try-less.

We are still struggling against their excellent defensive line speed at times.

But we won :)

Status
Not open for further replies.