• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Player Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

openside_tom7

15. Kurtley Beale - 8 - some excellent running lines from KB (Kurtley Beale) yesterday, gave the South African defence a headache.
14. James O'Connor - 8 - what a complete display by O'Connor. Superb defence on Mvovo on multiple occasions, and ran well when given the ball, notably his outstanding pick-up for his try. Also a near flawless kicking display.
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper - 7.5 - a display that has caused a sigh of relief around Australia. He ran well, defended very hard, and scored a good try. He's back.
12. Pat McCabe - 7 - while he didn't have many chances to run, he was a rock in defence and could well have stamped his mark on the 12 jersey for the world cup.
11. Digby Ioane - 8 - such an awesome player is Digby. His running and his fend are instrumental. He tackled well too. Drew Mitchell is going to have trouble regaining his spot.
10. Quade Cooper - 8.5 - he illustrated how important he is to the Wallabies tonight, playing a huge part in three of the five tries. His ability to put players into space is so important to the Wallabies.
9. Will Genia - 9 - he is also essential for the Wallaby world cup campaign. His service is brilliant his ability to pick a hole is outstanding and his reading of the game is just so good. Man of the Match
8. Ben McCalman - 7 - he is a rock at number 8. Not a flash player like Higginbottom but a guy that will never let you down. He makes his tackles, gets over the gainline and works hard at the breakdown. Will probably going to where 8 at the world cup.
7. David Pocock - 7 - on his comeback was a solid one. The game didn't really play into his hands as the Wallabies had a lot of possession, and his pilfering wasn't required but he carried well and tackled hard.
6. Rocky Elsom - 7 - he is gradually getting back to form, in all fairness. Had a couple of good runs, made a pilfer and lineout steal. Would like to see more running though from Elsom. Didn't seem to pleased to be taken off when he was.
5. James Horwill - 8 - he is such a hard-working player. Didn't miss a tackle, ran well and was instrumental in the counter rucking.
4. Rob Simmons - 8 - Sharpe may have trouble getting back into the starting line-up after Simmons display tonight. He makes loads of tackles, is great in the lineout and is a strong runner. Superb display by Simmons Best Forward on Ground
3. Ben Alexander - 8 - Alexander answered the critics tonight with an outstanding display. Scrummaged well, made some good metres, tackled well and scored a deserved try. Great performance.
2. Stephen Moore - 8 - another brilliant display. Ran well and scored a great try, while lineouts were superb and that is reflection on his throwing.
1. Sekope Kepu - 8 - while he didn't run much with the ball, he was outstanding in defence with his breakdown work and tackling a fortay. It was notably that outstanding tackle on Pienaar which caught the eye. Finally scrums went well. Great display by Kepu.

Substitutes
16. Saia Fainga'a - 5 - didn't make much impact.
17. Pekahou Cowan - 4 - he did concede a silly penalty in his own twenty two and didn't do much else.
18. Nathan Sharpe - 5 - didn't see much Sharpe when he came on. Will need to do more if he wants to get back in the team.
19. Scott Higginbotham - 5 - didn't get many opportunities to run.
20. Matt Hodgson - 5 - also didn't do much when he came on.
21. Nick Phipps - 5 - didn't have nearly the effect Genia did.
22. Anthony Fainga'a - 5 - didn't notice him do anything spectacular.

So great display by the Wallabies, but would like more impact from the bench, even if the game was already won.

T

Thomas

I'd say Horwill was easily the best forward he took the ball forward strongly smashed people in the rucks and had solid defence. Kepu had a fairly quite game which is an issue because he's such a big man we need him to use some of that size.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
8. Ben McCalman - 7 - he is a rock at number 8. Not a flash player like Higginbottom but a guy that will never let you down. He makes his tackles, gets over the gainline and works hard at the breakdown. Will probably going to where 8 at the world cup.

3. Ben Alexander - 8 - Alexander answered the critics tonight with an outstanding display. Scrummaged well, made some good metres, tackled well and scored a deserved try. Great performance.

18. Nathan Sharpe - 5 - didn't see much Sharpe when he came on. Will need to do more if he wants to get back in the team.

A few points to be made:

-I think you're being a little generous in your ratings. We won, yes, but against a B-strength Springbok XV with a lot of flashy play from QC (Quade Cooper)/JO'C.

-McCalman isn't really a rock at Number Eight. Sure, he tries hard, but doesn't pack a lot of punch. Not physical enough for my liking.

-Alexander didn't play that well. His work-rate is well below-par as he is constantly seagulling in the backline. He was right next to Digby when he scored his try because of this and he scored his own for the same reason. He hit one ruck all game, IMO appalling from a fully-fit player. His scrummaging ability is still questionable as it seemed at every scrum he was popped out by S.A

-Nathan Sharpe was heavily involved as per usual. He made six tackles in just over 20 minutes, compared to the nine made by Alexander who played the full 80.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
-Alexander didn't play that well. His work-rate is well below-par as he is constantly seagulling in the backline. He was right next to Digby when he scored his try because of this and he scored his own for the same reason. He hit one ruck all game, IMO appalling from a fully-fit player. His scrummaging ability is still questionable as it seemed at every scrum he was popped out by S.A

Where did you get that stat? Because if it was rugbyheaven those numbers are often updated on the Monday.

Of course he didn't hit just one ruck though. That would imply he literally spent the whole game in the backline, and ran the other way when the Boks came towards him. I wouldn't trust those stats for now.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A few points to be made:

-I think you're being a little generous in your ratings. We won, yes, but against a B-strength Springbok XV with a lot of flashy play from QC (Quade Cooper)/JO'C.

-McCalman isn't really a rock at Number Eight. Sure, he tries hard, but doesn't pack a lot of punch. Not physical enough for my liking.

-Nathan Sharpe was heavily involved as per usual. He made six tackles in just over 20 minutes, compared to the nine made by Alexander who played the full 80.

Selective stats picking... and if you're going by rugbystats/Foxsports/SMH I'm not sure if they're 100% complete...

According to that Alexander only hit 1 ruck, but Kepu hit none...

Alexander 9 tackles also eclipses Kepu, Moore and Horwill who each had the lowest in the forwards with 8...

According to those stats at the moment...

Alexander had a pretty good all round game... was busy in the tight, and the loose, and his scrummaging on the TH is slowly improving...

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
It's fairly clear the starting 15 played pretty well.

For me the glaring difference between us and real RWC contenders is this:
Substitutes
16. Saia Fainga'a - 5 - didn't make much impact.
17. Pekahou Cowan - 4 - he did concede a silly penalty in his own twenty two and didn't do much else.
19. Scott Higginbotham - 5 - didn't get many opportunities to run.
20. Matt Hodgson - 5 - also didn't do much when he came on.
21. Nick Phipps - 5 - didn't have nearly the effect Genia did.
22. Anthony Fainga'a - 5 - didn't notice him do anything spectacular.

Pretty much says it all.

The only real reason you bring on a sub in a world cup final is "TO HAVE AN IMPACT"
and if these fuckers can't even have an impact against a below par Boks B-side, with their head down, then we are in serious trouble.
Deans has no choice but to wrap our starters in cotton wool and hope the subs don't lose us a tighter game.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
While I think toms ratings are a touch generous, the gap between the starting team and the bench is about right, and very concerning

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The only real reason you bring on a sub in a world cup final is "TO HAVE AN IMPACT"
Or for injuries. Or exhaustion.

The wallaby 'shape' fell apart when so many subs were made at once and particularly when Phipps came on for Genia. Phipps didn't control the game the same way and Cooper went completely over the top with ..... unusual options. Not an easy environment if you've been out there all game, let alone coming FF (Folau Fainga'a) the bench.

Maybe in the context of the chaos that was the last 20 not doing, and esp not trying and failing to do something "spectacular" is good, as long as you make your tackles, truck the ball up and recycle.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The bench was short on impact, as the wheels fell off when they came on. However it isn a major concern for the RWC (injuries withstanding), with Slipper, TPN, Palu and Burgess all due to return before then, and with the likes of Samo and Beau Robinson both waiting in the winds. So with the return from injuries, our team will most likely look something like this for the RWC
1. Kepu
2. TPN
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman (Maybe Palu, but I think Deans will stick with McCalman)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Alexander
17. Moore
18. Vickerman
19. Higginbotham
20. Hodgson or Robinson
21. Burgess
22. A.Fainga'a

I think ultimately, the injuries to Palu and Mitchell will keep them out of the 22 when they are fit. Deans will stick for the most part, with the guys who did the job in the tri-nations, unless they play poorly or get injured.

B

Braveheart.

While I think toms ratings are a touch generous, the gap between the starting team and the bench is about right, and very concerning

While I agree with you in regards to the SA test...

TPN, Palu, Barnes, Slipper, Horne, Mitchell, Burgess... all of these players potentially could make it back for the RWC.

Suddenly our bench is strong... and you have genuine impact players on the bench (Burgess, TPN)

EDIT - touch wood we don't get any mroe injuries

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
IMO:
1. Kepu - 7 - Getting better every week, showed up SA scrum. Bigger tests to come
2. Moore - 7 - Beautiful step, missed a few line-outs. Solid performance, room for improvement.
3. Alexander - 7 - Improved dramatically and actually made a difference. Good to see he's not a passenger.
4. Horwill - 8 - High work rate, noticeable difference when replaced.
5. Simmons - 8.5 - A complete display, easily best forward. Huge work-rate and applied good pressure in line-outs.
6. Elsom - 7 - Not there yet but showing signs, stepped up from last weekend.
7. Pocock - 6.5 - First quiet game in a while, recovering from injury but showed enough to suggest he can step up again when it counts.
8. McCalman - 6 - My one question mark over the team, needs to sparkle soon or will face axe from brilliant team.
9. Genia - 9 - Showed why he's best scrummie in the world, flawless display. MOM
10. Cooper - 8.5 - Class performance, did what he needed to do without being spectacular. Has another level up his sleeve.
11. Ioane - 8 - Got involved at important times and played important role in defence.
12. McCabe - 7 - Good defensive reads, made gain line often. Would be close to sealing the 12 jersey.
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - 6.5 - Missing in attack up until his try, great defence against solid SB centres. Promising signs
14. JOC (James O'Connor) - 8.5 - Thought he was brilliant, becoming a world class winger. Elusive and sets up other players well.
15. Beale - 7.5 - Solid performance, gave option in attack. Would have liked to see him running ball back rather than QC (Quade Cooper) kicking.

16. S Fainga'a - 5 - Little to no impact
17. Cowan - 5 - Gave away stupid penalty, I wasn't comfortable with him on the field
18. Sharpe - 6 - Got involved with little impact, tried his hardest but impossible to replace Horwill and look amazing.
19. Hodgson - 4 - Didn't even notice him getting subbed on, or on the field at all for that matter.
20. Higgenbotham - 5.5 - Didn't look as good as last week, replaced an impressive Rocky and so impact was minimal.
21. Phipps - 5.5 - Better than last week, looked more in control and had a few good support plays. Nowhere near Genia.
22. A Fainga'a - 5 - Same as brother, didn't have enough time to do anything special. Lacked spark and conceded points.

T

Train Without a Station

I feel a little for Higgers. Had a chance to back up from last week's solid performance, and because of Beale's injury spent the majority of his time, out on the wing catching a cold.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2. Moore - 7 - Beautiful step, missed a few line-outs. Solid performance, room for improvement.

I think Simmons can take some responsibility for this as it was his first time doing the calls.

There was a lineout in which nobody jumped which would point towards that.

Otherwise it's not like the throws were crooked. But rather there seemed to be some hesitation, and at times they took a bit longer to throw it in, which is never a good sign.

Early in the game I called that Sharpe would be back next match for this reason, but Simmons put in a good performance and Deans should give him another shot.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just rewatched the game, think everyone has gone a bit OTT about Simmons. He had a standard second rowers game. Workrate was good without being brilliant, made very little impact with ball in hand and didn't make any mistakes in defence (but no big hits either). Thought Horwill was miles better. Like McCabe though a bit much to judge him after one game, we will get a better picture against the ABs.

At the moment I would still have Sharpe over Simmons. I think Sharpie offers more with ball in hand and both have a similar workrate.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
FWIW:-

1. Kepu - 7 Dominant tackles and generally good defensive work. Was involved in counter-rucking for two turn-overs and in securing Wallaby ball. Excellent at the set piece, though I am still mystfied why he was penalised for the scrum in the first half (would like to see a reverse camera angle on it). Still caught walking a few times but overall a huge improvement. Room for more yet.
2. Moore - 7 As for Kepu.
3. Alexander - 6 A much improved game everywhere else except the scrum. Yes I agree that he has improved so that he is no longer head down on set up and isn't collapsing. He does however need to do a lot more to promote the TH. One scrum of note in the 2nd 40 the Wallabies were screwed nearly 90 against the TH into the touch to narrow the options for attack. He needs to do better. This was against a second rate Bok pack also. Grayling is a good future talent in the order of Paddy Ryan (in an Australian context) but I do not rate any of the others in the Bok front row that highly any longer.
4. Simmons - 6 Lineout stats very good for Oz for his first starting game calling. 1 Loss and 3 steals from my count. Scrum solid. Some counter rucking.
5. Horwill 7 - Lineout good, scrum good. SOlid with ball in hand and tight defence.
6. Elsom 7 - As for Horwill. Good to finally see him laying down the law so to speak to the team in breaks instead of others doing all the talking.
7. Pocock 7 - good first hit out back from injury. Was hard on the ball and even if he didn't get the turnovers the Boks had to work hard to keep it and it was invariably slow.
8. McCalman 5 - Huge work rate, but it is largely ineffectual. He made the advantage line this week but was against a well beaten pack. I am still to be convinced.

My biggest concern in the lack of tactics in counter Maul and th lack of any real Maul/tight play option from our "work rate" pack. Against a team like England and Italy and the Bok 1st XV this could be a real problem.

9. Genia 9 - Sublime. He is the bench mark for half backs at the moment IMO.
10. Cooper 7.5 - creatively there is probably no better player in the world ATM. His option taking was a little off at times but that is what you get and he helps his outside backs to shine. Skylab Cutler once sai of Campo "He is usually good for a couple of tries to the other team, but he will get you three or four at the same time."
12. McAbe 7 - IMO straight running is what has been missing from the Oz backs for three years as we embarked on the two playmaker system. I think the backline is much more balanced now and McAbe will grow into the spot. Positioning in defence and re-alignment in conjunction with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to be worked on.
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 7.5 - As for McAbe. Solid defence with a couple of dominant hits. Most of all I was happy to see him hitting his lines at 13 better. This was IMO a factor of having a 10 play as a 10 and getting ball in a manner that didn't cramp him into the wings of touch.
11. Ioane 8 - get him a sniff of space and he will be away or at least make ground and cause lots of defenders to move in making hjoles elsewhere. Only problem is his defensive positioning. He will get targetted by very fast players on the outside and he does get burnt a bit for off the mark pace on the outside a few times.
14. JOC (James O'Connor) 8 - Defence was spot on. What I criticise him for so heavily last year was his defensive positioning and that has been corrected. Better in fielding the high ball than Beale IMO.
15 Beale 7.5 - I am concerned every time a bomb is put up to KB (Kurtley Beale). Glad to see he didn't go for the 50:50 options this week. Good lines and good defence.

16. S. Fainga'a 5 - Scrum got wobbly when he took the field. This is a concern as Smit was at prop for the Boks by then. He is a tyro around the field but I am not convinced he is a Test grade hooker. Lineout throwing poor, first one off line even to his Reds team mates.
17. Cowan 5 - came on as Blindside flanker so its a bit hard to rate him at prop. Not bad for a bloke playing his first test at 6 when he is a 1. One silly penalty against.
18. Sharpe 6 - His work rate was good and he made plenty of tackles, but was caught one off the blind side wing twice and was run past. To his credit he didn't stop and tracked the play to pressure the ensuing ruck.
19. Hodgson 3 - his form seems to have plumetted from the start of the year where he covered the Force backrow from the loss of Pocock. Then he was the best 7 in Oz, now I would have to say give Beau a go.
20. Higginbum 5 - played a good game as replacement winger. A bit hard to rate him for his real job. Good defence when it was called for and not bad attack.
21. Phipps 6 - IMO a massive improvement on his effort last week simply because he wasn't under huge pressure at every breakdown. He still got the ball to the 10 cleanly and accurately. To compare him with Genia is harsh as few would compare at the moment.
22. A. Fainga'a 5 - I'll give him a 5 simply because I didn't see that much of him and the Wallabies game lost its shape totally when he came on. Not his fault as the team had a prop at 6, a 6 at 14 etc.

Much talk here about how poor the replacements were but consideration needs to be given as to how many of those replacements were right out of position.

Overall slightly better than a pass for the team as a whole but they would be dissappointed they let in two tries and didn't go on with the job. My biggest concern as I said above is the lack of any effective tight game from the Wallabies in either attack or defence. I would suggest PDV made a huge mistake in preparing his side in selection (even taking into account his "injured" list) and tactics. He would have been better served by looking at the Samoa game and picking and playing a tight game of mauls and pick n drives. Instead he played the standard kick chase and territory game without his key lineout forwards or kick ball chasers. Very poor from the 'Clown'.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like McCabe, he had a good solid game, but there were better performers in the forwards...

I'd be concerned about playing other full strength top teams without a proper lineout general...

So I doubt we'll see Sharpe on the sidelines for too long unless that lineout really starts dominating...

We were able to dominate the SA lineout that was woeful but missing several key players, but our lineout, while solid, just seemed a little rusty...

But if Deans gives him another chance against the AB's we should get a clearer picture...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I thought that Gnostic got the general level of marks right.

QC (Quade Cooper) and KB (Kurtley Beale) did some horrid kicking and QC (Quade Cooper) ditto for passing. The wingers and Genia were extraordinarily good.

Kepu was a little under rated by most I thought though somebody will probably say he didn't make any tackles and cleared his nose 9 times. Moore was very good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.