• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies squad named

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
None of those options have shown anything in Super Rugby to suggest that they'd be a better 6 for the Wallabies than Higginbotham and Dennis.

I like both Mowen and Jones but their omission from this squad can really just be said to be unlucky rather than unfair.

MMM offers something a bit different and if anything, his past experience in Australia combined with the hype surrounding his return are just reason enough to put him in this squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think history has shown that those are not good reasons for selection...

I agree.

Given that this squad is somewhat tokenistic (or you would think so given that the season hasn't even started yet), I don't have too many problems with MMM being selected purely on hype. Adding a bit of excitement to the Force prior to the season starting is probably a good thing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A bit tough to say McMenimen is part of this training group on hype. We all know he has had dreadful injury problems, but he has shown real class in the past. They'd be mad not to get him in to have a look.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Meh, neither will ever be a test 6

Most people would've said that Timani wasn't a test lock......

Anyways, there are several players in that squad who are miles away from a test jersey, and the players I've named wouldn't be any further away.........

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Most people would've said that Timani wasn't a test lock..

Anyways, there are several players in that squad who are miles away from a test jersey, and the players I've named wouldn't be any further away...

I tend to agree, Timani is a compromise because of his lack of lineout skills, but he moves rucks and hits hard in defense.

To me, the difference that gets units to that next level is their x factor.

T

TOCC

Props: Slipper, Robinson, Ryan, Kepu, Alexander, Palmer, Ma'afu

Hookers: Fainga'a, Hanson, TPN, Moore

Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Douglas, Timani, Neville, Pyle

Opensides: Gill, Hooper, Pocock

Blindsides/Number8: Dennis, Higginbotham, McMeniman, Schatz, Palu, McCalman

Halfback: Genia, White, Phipps

Flyhalf: Cooper, Lealifano, Beale,

Centre: Fainga'a, Tapuai, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Inman

Wing: Shipperly, Ioane, Mitchell, Tomane, Vuna, Cummins

Fullback: Morahan, Barnes, Harris

Utility Back?: Lucas, O'Connor

Bit hard with some of the 'utility backs' and back-row forward because we don't know where RD plans on playing them, but its fairly evident he has picked a squad with quite a bit of depth with 3 or 4 players in every position.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Instead of who?

Mowen is a really solid S15 unit, but he doesn't bend the line, he doesn't dominate in defense and he isn't dominant at the breakdown.

My comment was tongue in cheek. I'm not necessarily saying Mowen deserves to be in the Wallabies. But this squad includes just about every rugby player in Australia. If you're going to include guys like Maafu and MMM, why not include Mowen? He did a fine job leading the Brumbies last year and has potential.

D

daz

Sorry, but can we backtrack just a bit here?

Am I the only one who finds the headline "Folau omitted from Wallabies traing squad" just a bit ludicrous? The same goes for those calmly discussing the pros and cons of his omission on these boards.

Just a quick reminder that he hasn't even played a game of club rugby or S15 yet, and we are discussing him in the same breath as those in the Wallabies training squad?

Deans meets him for coffee? What about those Super rugby rookies who (unlike Folau) have years of club rugby behind them; does RD meet with them too?

My apologies, but this all seems very, very silly.

T

TOCC

I think we are ok at Hooker, we are screwed at halfback if Genia gets injured again though.. Hopefully White can show some class at test level.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
A bit tough to say McMenimen is part of this training group on hype. We all know he has had dreadful injury problems, but he has shown real class in the past. They'd be mad not to get him in to have a look.
It's more a photo session and fitout rather than a training group, I know I'm being pedantic. I think its a case of who Deans thinks will be in the squad. The guys he has left out are the same names he has left out in the past, apart for Samo who is probably behind MMM in his eyes now.
The guys who didn't make it now have some motivation to show Deans they should have been there. They aren't missing any skills or inside games style knowledge. All they are missing out on is a photo in the press issue stuff for the Lions tour.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Am I the only one who finds the headline "Folau omitted from Wallabies traing squad" just a bit ludicrous? The same goes for those calmly discussing the pros and cons of his omission on these boards.
It is, maybe, a bit silly. Obviously a few things behind it though:

To start with, he's generating media interest - across state lines, not just in NSW/Sydney - as a high-profile convert to rugby. He's a good story to follow for rugby n00bs, mungoes and tragics alike. This is not a bad thing.

As an ex-league test star he's also reportedly been paid a $400k top-up contract. Not too many other Soup rookies in that category. I'd think the ARU would like a return on that investment (although maybe they are just happy with the publicity..... à la AFL).

He's also a talented player with some good skills. But he still has to show it for the Waratahs before progressing any further.

D

daz

He's also a talented player with some good skills. But he still has to show it for the Waratahs (insert Shute Shield club here) before progressing any further.

Let's start him at the beginning, rather than the half-way mark ;)

I understand your points, and I agree with them. I'm sure he will get to a Gold jersey (assuming he doesn't switch to another sport anytime soon).

But Folau and Wallabies in the same breath before a single game at any level since his signing, and making it sound like some kind of surprise? Give me a break, media hacks!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
When does the Shute start - April?

The Soup will be half over by then. :p - I don't have a problem with the Tahs parachuting him in. A bit more ambivalent, perhaps, on the top-up (if the reports are to be believed), but the ARU has taken a punt and good luck to them. Probably wouldn't have got Folau otherwise.

Folau was never going to be inducted into gold without even playing one game, and I doubt any serious followers thought he would be. The rugby media need to fill stories in the off-season, though, and this is a pretty good one.

Personally, I doubt Izzy will play a test against the Lions. It would be another big punt from the ARU if he did. But if he sticks around in rugby a bit longer and does well he's a decent chance of being capped.

Status
Not open for further replies.