• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Bizarre. Why would you drop one of the most consistent Wallabies in Benn Robinson?!

He is clearly our strongest scrummager, lately he's been running and
offloading far more - even making breaks, securing turnovers at the breakdown and he's not even in the squad??!! The mind boggles.

Contrary to what others may believe, for me this squad is a squad based on favouritism and Ewen McKenzie making 'Reds based' political-like decisions.

Slipper?! - SIMPLY CAN NOT SCRUM, time and time again he's been shown up at test level - the All Blacks will be salivating if not out right laughing. And unlike Robinson, I've never seen the bloke break the line or off-load a decent ball or win turnover at the breakdown. If Link seriously wants a mobile pack why pick Slipper who mopes around old school like and doesn't possess anywhere near the ball skills of Robinson.

Simmons?! - sluggish, no physical presence, no impact, becomes invisible on field.

Happy to be proven wrong - but seriously, I reckon Link is so far off the mark it's scary. To beat the All Blacks you must be able to match them at the set piece or you're done for - sadly, with this twisted front row combo I reckon we're done for.

And we all know Quade can't handle a pack going backwards so I wouldn't be playing him at fly-half but no doubt Link probably will.

Bizarre.

T

TOCC

Yes. And going by the stats ran it just as effectively as Simmons does. Simmons must have something going for him that isn't immediately obvious from the sidelines, really can't understand his continued selection at all.

Who ran it just as effectively?

Behind Horwill there is a gap in the quality of locks, Douglas, Timani and Simmons have all had game time and have there positive traits but also negative traits as well, Neville will get his shot eventually but the fact he scores tries shouldn't be used as a measure of whether he is a better lock then the others, John Eales only ever scored 2 tries for the Wallabies.

T

TOCC

Bizarre. Why would you drop one of the most consistent Wallabies in Benn Robinson?!

He is clearly our strongest scrummager, lately he's been running and
offloading far more - even making breaks, securing turnovers at the breakdown and he's not even in the squad??!! The mind boggles.

Contrary to what others may believe, for me this squad is a squad based on favouritism and Ewen McKenzie making 'Reds based' political-like decisions.

Slipper?! - SIMPLY CAN NOT SCRUM, time and time again he's been shown up at test level - the All Blacks will be salivating if not out right laughing. And unlike Robinson, I've never seen the bloke break the line or off-load a decent ball or win turnover at the breakdown. If Link seriously wants a mobile pack why pick Slipper who mopes around old school like and doesn't possess anywhere near the ball skills of Robinson.

Simmons?! - sluggish, no physical presence, no impact, becomes invisible on field.

Happy to be proven wrong - but seriously, I reckon Link is so far off the mark it's scary. To beat the All Blacks you must be able to match them at the set piece or you're done for - sadly, with this twisted front row combo I reckon we're done for.

And we all know Quade can't handle a pack going backwards so I wouldn't be playing him at fly-half but no doubt Link probably will.

Bizarre.

Surely you can't be serious?
I suggest you watch the Reds v Tahs where Slipper and Robinson scrummed against each other...

As for you claiming Robinson is far superior around the ground and Slipper is useless, well I think that says a lot about your rugby knowledge

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Who ran it just as effectively?

Behind Horwill there is a gap in the quality of locks, Douglas, Timani and Simmons have all had game time and have there positive traits but also negative traits as well, Neville will get his shot eventually but the fact he scores tries shouldn't be used as a measure of whether he is a better lock then the others, John Eales only ever scored 2 tries for the Wallabies.
Pyle. He gives good lineout. Neville isn't even in the conversation, he's nowhere near ready for Test rugby.

Pyle can work a lineout, is a good jumper, makes his tackles, hits rucks and provides an actual ball-running threat. That he scores tries is a handy bonus. In a distinctly one-paced Wallaby pack, he could well have been a point of difference. It's a bit of a shocker for mine, but what are you going to do? McKenzie clearly thinks Simmons is better at... something. I don't know what, but he must.

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Surely you can't be serious?
I suggest you watch the Reds v Tahs where Slipper and Robinson scrummed against each other.

As for you claiming Robinson is far superior around the ground and Slipper is useless, well I think that says a lot about your rugby knowledge

A lot about my Rugby knowledge? Pull your head in.

It's about consistency and constantly handling the pressure at Test Level - not a one off Super match.

Are you actually watching the game?? Slipper does not make breaks - never seen one at test level can't recall Super either, always gets penalised scrumming at test level, weak at the breakdown.

Robinson has proven himself time and time at test level and is mobile.

Scrummaging Slipper has failed time and time again at test level - constantly penalised, can't handle the pressure.

Are you seriously disputing this drawing from your font of Rugby knowledge?

T

TOCC

A lot about my Rugby knowledge? Pull your head in.

It's about consistency and constantly handling the pressure at Test Level - not a one off Super match.

Are you actually watching the game?? Slipper does not make breaks - never seen one at test level can't recall Super either, always gets penalised scrumming at test level, weak at the breakdown.

Robinson has proven himself time and time at test level and is mobile.

Scrummaging Slipper has failed time and time again at test level - constantly penalised, can't handle the pressure.

Are you seriously disputing this drawing from your font of Rugby knowledge?

You claimed that Robinson is clearly the best scrummager in Australia and then you also said Slipper cannot scrum at all...

You said you have never seen Slipper actively participate in general play and Robinson is clearly superior in this field, so i suggested you watch the Reds v Tahs game because both players are in this game and Slipper scrummages against Robinson, he also make numerous runs, tackles and turnovers(ironically one of them against Robinson)...

Im not by any means claiming Slipper is better then Robinson, i actually really like Robinson and want to see him back in the team..

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
You claimed that Robinson is clearly the best scrummager in Australia and then you also said Slipper cannot scrum at all.

You said you have never seen Slipper actively participate in general play and Robinson is clearly superior in this field, so i suggested you watch the Reds v Tahs game because both players are in this game and Slipper scrummages against Robinson, he also make numerous runs, tackles and turnovers(ironically one of them against Robinson).

Im not by any means claiming Slipper is better then Robinson, i actually really like Robinson and want to see him back in the team..

Like I said a one-off Super match means little - even then I don't recall Slipper having any kind of dominance.

BUT at Test level he has constantly been shown up - this can not be disputed even when Ref rulings are sometimes dubious.

Robinson just has more presence and he has clearly become more and more mobile of late with more breaks and sharp off loads than earlier in his career.

Agains the Lions, yes he blew one try but he also made a huge break that would have resulted in one had there been support. I just don't see and never have seen this kind of impact from the likes of Slipper.

Look I'm happy to see James Slipper slap my opinion of him down but going on watching his performance of the years he's just not Test level.

And if this is some weird way of trying to fire Factcat up - I wouldn't be doing it against the Allblacks. You want the best out there, no time to try Junior Rugby type training motivation.

Ok my rant on this is over. This decision just annoyed me so much I had to join here and vent my spleen.

T

TOCC

Like I said a one-off Super match means little - even then I don't recall Slipper having any kind of dominance.

BUT at Test level he has constantly been shown up - this can not be disputed even when Ref rulings are sometimes dubious.

Robinson just has more presence and he has clearly become more and more mobile of late with more breaks and sharp off loads than earlier in his career.

Agains the Lions, yes he blew one try but he also made a huge break that would have resulted in one had there been support. I just don't see and nvever have seen this kind of impact from the likes of Slipper.

Look I'm happy to see James Slipper slap my opinion of him down but going on watching his performance of the years he's just not Test level.

And if this is some weird way of trying to fire Factcat up - I wouldn't be doing it against the Allblacks. You want the best out there, no time to try a Junior Rugby type training motivations.

Ok my rant of this is over. This decision just annoyed me so much I had to join here and vent my spleen.

Sure, you are entitled to your own opinion, but claiming that Slipper cannot scrum at all and has no presence around the field as opposed to Robinson who is clearly the best scrummager in Australia and plays like a flanker is a highly contentious statement, surely even the most one-eyed Tahs fan can see that?

tekay

Peter Burge (5)
Sure, you are entitled to your own opinion, but claiming that Slipper cannot scrum at all and has no presence around the field as opposed to Robinson who is clearly the best scrummager in Australia and plays like a flanker is a highly contentious statement, surely even the most one-eyed Tahs fan can see that?

Not contentious at all if you're paying attention.

Seriously, on consistent form Fatcat is one of the stand outs in the Wallabies and to not even be included in the squad?! - there's something dubious going on - even the most one-eyed Reds supporter would have to concede to that?

And I'm not the only person going around who believes Slipper is way overrated and next weekend all will be revealed - and good for James if I'm proven wrong.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Been away for 24 hours but blown away by Fatcat's exclusion. Before the Link fans go balistic, I'm not saying he is a poor coach, selector, whatever, I just strongly disagree with this particular selection. And if you can't debate it on a rugby forum, where can you?

Robbo matched it with Adam Jones, possibly the best THP in the world, in a beaten pack for the BIL series. I am very pleased with the selection of Sio, and would even be happy for him to start at LHP, but you need Robbo on the bench in case Sio doesn't make the step up. How Benny A keeps getting selected is just beyond me.

Apart from that, for mine I would have picked Pyle over Simmons, and for more balance A Faainga over Foley. For the rest, I'm fine.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Guys - drop the provincial crap, there is nothing beneficial to be gained from it.

Dumbledore - I think Pyle is hard done by too, I have been wanting him to get the call up for the last two seasons. Simmons can count himself extremely lucky, although in his defence he has stopped a lot of the niggling crap and started to play much tighter recently.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He's a Brumbies fan, thanks. Leave us out of it. :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Been away for 24 hours but blown away by Fatcat's exclusion. Before the Link fans go balistic, I'm not saying he is a poor coach, selector, whatever, I just strongly disagree with this particular selection. And if you can't debate it on a rugby forum, where can you?

Robbo matched it with Adam Jones, possibly the best THP in the world, in a beaten pack for the BIL series. I am very pleased with the selection of Sio, and would even be happy for him to start at LHP, but you need Robbo on the bench in case Sio doesn't make the step up. How Benny A keeps getting selected is just beyond me.

Apart from that, for mine I would have picked Pyle over Simmons, and for more balance A Faainga over Foley. For the rest, I'm fine.
He's in Team Rehab at the moment.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Fatcat just got pinged and marched for back chat in the Eastwood v East game. Always thought his attitude was a problem.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fatcat just got pinged and marched for back chat in the Eastwood v East game. Always thought his attitude was a problem.
But he just pilfered one, after munting the Easts scrum. Attitude adjusted again? Hard to keep up with FatCat! ;)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Guys - drop the provincial crap, there is nothing beneficial to be gained from it.

Dumbledore - I think Pyle is hard done by too, I have been wanting him to get the call up for the last two seasons. Simmons can count himself extremely lucky, although in his defence he has stopped a lot of the niggling crap and started to play much tighter recently.
I appreciate that he's been better in the Soup this year, but he offered absolutely nothing against the Lions. It's not even so much that I want Pyle in the team as it was that he's a player with a point of difference? At the moment we're looking at a pack of what...

Sio
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Simmons
Mowen
Gill
McCalman?

Something like that anyway. Compared to that, the All Blacks are going to have a pack with a whole lot of genuine ball-runners. Coles, Whitelock, McCaw, Read, Messam... they can all do a serious job of getting the ball over the advantage line. Without Higgers, Palu and even Hooper, we're going to need someone who can carry over the advantage line both through the middle and out in the wider channels. I'm worried that we've picked a very one-paced pack who will grind away and be solid at the breakdown, do all those one-percenters well, but ultimately won't have enough punch to get over the Kiwis.

T

tranquility

Deadset, you are that far from the mark, I wonder if you have ever seen him play. Benn is a better scrummager, no doubt. But more skillful ? more mobile ? jeez - that is a stretch.

Slipper was actually a flyhalf in his youth at TSS, and while that is schoolboy footy it has undoubtably been the best rugby nursery in QLD over the last decade.

A hallmark of this is how deft his hands are at super level. I'm not sure of the pilfer stats, but I have definitely seem him affect forced turnovers so at the very least he has drawn penalties for the other sides holding on.

Status
Not open for further replies.