• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Squad - the Link Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just a bit bored at work, so I picked a Wallaby team for the first test:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. Palu

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

Subs: TPN, Sio, Slipper, MMM, Hooper, White, Lealiifano, Mogg/Beale

Forward pack straightforward enough (not as big a fan of MMM as others, would give him a go off the bench as I'm not convinced his form is test quality since returning from injury).

As for the backs, Cooper edges To'omua (for now anyway). I don't think having Lilo at 12 worked, it doesn't suit our style and I think we would get more out of having Horne there. The decision there wasn't so much about either player, just what suits us best in terms of style.

I still think JOC (James O'Connor) is very talented and should be kept. Folau moves to fullback. Can't choose between Mogg and Beale for the last bench spot, both would be unlucky to miss out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the decision of who plays 10 in the first test is far more open now than it might have been a couple of weeks ago.​
I would rate Cooper's play as only alright in the last two weeks and whether McKenzie decides to pin his hopes on Cooper will be interesting.​
To'omua is possibly a safer bet for McKenzie in that as a debutant who has plenty of public support to get the role he'll be given some leeway if things don't work out straight away.​
If Cooper is the Wallabies 10 and the backline fails to fire, how long would McKenzie be able to give him to get things right?​
There are then of course other candidates who are presumably at longer odds of getting the job such as Beale, Foley, Lealiifano or even O'Connor. JOC (James O'Connor) would have to be 1000-1 after the Lions series though. McKenzie would be silly to make a selection like that straight away that will be met with huge criticism.​
Cooper comes with the added baggage that he will be met with very loud booing everytime he plays in New Zealand. Whilst that won't be a reason for him not to be selected, it does make life a little harder for him. No one would prefer to play to constant boos.​

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
This. I hope he doesnt have his Red Coloured Glasses on, but Im guessing he will as he had his Reds tie on in his first presser

To some extent I reckon he will but you can expect a lot of Brumbies in there too - To'omua, Kimlin and Mogg should be key players for Link.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kimlin is an interesting one and I think that perhaps the fact that he is going to France at the end of the year could work against him.

On form you'd certainly have Kimlin in the squad right now but he is surely borderline for the matchday 23. Mowen will definitely be picked ahead of him and I can't see Kimlin being picked as a starting lock.

With Higginbotham returning next year, Link may decide that Mowen, Palu, and MMM are his first choice options for 6/8/bench.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
/

If Cooper is the Wallabies 10 and the backline fails to fire, how long would McKenzie be able to give him to get things right?

/

I think link will want to be consistent with his words of the past 12 months and select Cooper for the first Bledisloe. My feeling is that Quade will be locked in as 10 for the first two games unless he's a complete disaster, which I don't think he will be. After that, it'll be up to his performance. I'm sure Link will want to see something of To'omua soon as well though - perhaps in the back end of some games.

And the booing? Who cares? Even more satisfying to beat them when they're booing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And the booing? Who cares? Even more satisfying to beat them when they're booing.

Whether he acknowledges it or not, Cooper probably cares. I doubt anyone enjoys being singled out and booed everytime they touch the ball in a sporting match.

Win, lose or draw, I think we need to see Cooper put on a polished performance against the All Blacks in NZ before it can be discounted. So far he hasn't done this (although he has only had one chance at this since the 2011 RWC).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just a bit bored at work, so I picked a Wallaby team for the first test:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. Palu

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Horne
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Folau

Subs: TPN, Sio, Slipper, MMM, Hooper, White, Lealiifano, Mogg/Beale

Forward pack straightforward enough (not as big a fan of MMM as others, would give him a go off the bench as I'm not convinced his form is test quality since returning from injury).

As for the backs, Cooper edges To'omua (for now anyway). I don't think having Lilo at 12 worked, it doesn't suit our style and I think we would get more out of having Horne there. The decision there wasn't so much about either player, just what suits us best in terms of style.

I still think JOC (James O'Connor) is very talented and should be kept. Folau moves to fullback. Can't choose between Mogg and Beale for the last bench spot, both would be unlucky to miss out.

Think Sliiper will be 3, Paddy Ryan on bench, Kepu to miss out
Robbo will hold his spot but on last chance unless he does something around the paddock - Sio to be bench option for Robbo.
Would have Leali over Horne, JOC (James O'Connor) on bench.
Think one of the most interesting selections will be Gill v Hooper and where to play Izzy - wing or fullback ????

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Scrubber2050 - if anything, I think Kepu pushed his chances for a starting spot forward against the Lions. His work around the park was good which has always been his weak suit.

I also disagree on Robbo being on his last chance. I think he and Horwill are the two easiest selections in the forward pack. I imagine there will very little debate over Robbo starting at LHP for this year at the very least.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Isn't Palu out for 4-6 weeks due to his knee surgery?

Considering how slow it took him to find some form in the Lions series I certainly wouldn't be rushing him back if he is miraculously fit to play.........

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Whether he acknowledges it or not, Cooper probably cares. I doubt anyone enjoys being singled out and booed everytime they touch the ball in a sporting match.

Win, lose or draw, I think we need to see Cooper put on a polished performance against the All Blacks in NZ before it can be discounted. So far he hasn't done this (although he has only had one chance at this since the 2011 RWC).

Yes, I don't disagree that it has affected QC (Quade Cooper) - just that he will need to harden up and play through it. I think he briefly enjoyed the notoriety of being Public Enemy #1 in NZ prior to the RWC, before being rattled by the depth of ill-feeling towards him at the games and showing vulnerability. There's not many players who can play up that kind of reputation and actually thrive on it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't Palu out for 4-6 weeks due to his knee surgery?

Considering how slow it took him to find some form in the Lions series I certainly wouldn't be rushing him back if he is miraculously fit to play...

Yes. Palu will miss the first Bledisloe test after having an arthroscopy. Maybe that is what will give Kimlin a chance in the first test.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubber2050 - if anything, I think Kepu pushed his chances for a starting spot forward against the Lions. His work around the park was good which has always been his weak suit.

I also disagree on Robbo being on his last chance. I think he and Horwill are the two easiest selections in the forward pack. I imagine there will very little debate over Robbo starting at LHP for this year at the very least.

I suppose Braveheart, that our opinions will be vindicated or fucked in a few weeks

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Paddy Ryan is currently out with a knee niggle, so he won't be on the bench come Bledisloe.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
We go into the TRC with huge vulnerabilities at #10.

Of the two on display over the weekend, in a Bradburyesque move IMHO QC (Quade Cooper) again won over To'omua but the Gold #10 position is becoming a bit of a Dance of the desperates.

With the GOAT looking a little porky, and not all that match fit (a lot can change in a month though), I'd like to go for all out attack in the back row, and keep some flexibility on the bench.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill (c)
5. Pyle
6. Gill
7. Hooper
8. Mowen (vc)

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Lealiifano
14. Mogg
15. Folau

Subs: TPN, Sio, Slipper, MMM, Smith, White, Horne, JOC (James O'Connor)

Probably a good thing I am not the Wobs Head Selector.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Yes, I don't disagree that it has affected QC (Quade Cooper) - just that he will need to harden up and play through it..

I don't think I've seen Quade say anything to the contrary of he doesn't care what they do. The outcry has come from everyone but Quade himself.

To'omua is possibly a safer bet for McKenzie in that as a debutant who has plenty of public support to get the role he'll be given some leeway if things don't work out straight away.​

I'd agree that To'omua is a safer bet over Quade in play. But, I feel Link will pick Genia and Cooper over Genia and To'omua. He's had more time with the former rather than the later, he's more aware of what he can get Quade to do than what To'omua is capable of. The first game is in a matter of weeks, with To'omua possibly playing another 2 of those 4, you'd have to be aware he's going to be possibly fatigued/carrying a niggle.

I don't buy into anything being written in Stone by Link just yet. He doesn't seem to be a guy who plays favourites. I'm sure if To'omua leads the Brumbies to another Super trophy that his form will be greatly viewed by Link as more valuable than Quades extra preptime. So far, I don't think Quade has harmed his chances of being picked, the Reds backs have lost a whole load of spark (especially Taps, Shipperley and Digby).

What will be interesting to see is, Quades combination with Izzy. We've seen for the past three years Quades able to do that cross field kick to Digby, I can only imagine Izzy being on the receiving end of that to do something even better with the ball.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I hope never to see Cooper play that way again - but not because he was bad. It was one of his more solid (if nowhere near brilliant) performances tackling, kicking and even carrying. But his pack was getting stomped bludgeoned and the crusaders had incredible line speed and impact in their defensive line.

If that happens in the rugby championship we and any one Link puts at 10 are in big trouble.

Edit, stomped is the wrong word.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be more comfortable with Cooper if he was actually playing better. At the moment he isn't the running threat he was, and that means he isn't holding defenders as he did a couple years ago.

Then it was like he was covered in spiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.