• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies team name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What's your solution? No one LIKES the sponsored names but Australia has one of the most competitive sports markets in the world -- what else are teams going to do? A necessary evil, it would seem.
Funnily enough perhaps stop saying it's the most competive market in the world etc, sponsorship dollars get the best value by being aimed at the international market not domestic market. Do you reall think Adidas or AIG pay the huge amounts they do to get into NZ market, in a poulation of 4.5 million, no thay pay to see it on TV screens in Asia,Europe etc etc. Wallabies have no real comp for that market internationally, because f*** all people outside of Aus care or know one iota about AFL or League!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But the sponsors do know, and they know they can use it as leverage.

This is business, not sport.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
The extra- competitive domestic market in AUS is still a factor. The ARU needs to do what it can to get more sponsorship dollars to increase revenue precisely because it is in a much more competitive domestic market. The NZRU isn't in this same position.

But I agree, the NZRU has more value in an international market and can be a bit more dictating, unlike the ARU... at this stage

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aren't they now the AIG All Blacks?

Alternate endorsed twee nicknames: The AIG's; The Darkness; The NZ Rugby Team, or NZRT.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Funnily enough perhaps stop saying it's the most competive market in the world etc, sponsorship dollars get the best value by being aimed at the international market not domestic market. Do you reall think Adidas or AIG pay the huge amounts they do to get into NZ market, in a poulation of 4.5 million, no thay pay to see it on TV screens in Asia,Europe etc etc. Wallabies have no real comp for that market internationally, because f*** all people outside of Aus care or know one iota about AFL or League!!

What makes you think that the ROI for global advertising is higher than for regional or local advertising? Do you have any market research to back up that fabrication, erm... I mean assertion?

Clearly money spent by businesses selling products in Australia is better spent advertising in Sydney than Istanbul.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok Groucho, I didn't realise I was going to get someone so upset, and I admit I don't have market research to back up what I said, it still doesn't make me a liar!! I would of thought that marketing yourself to a world wide market would be preferable to a local market, or perhaps you think AIG pay 20 mill a year to sell insurance in NZ. And Adidas pay out 50 mill or whatever to sell to NZers?? All I saying that Wallabies have best chance out of Aus sports to market themselves to Asias, European market than any other winter sport in Aus (except maybe Soccer), but if you think that by international markets I mean Istanbul and not England, Japan, USA, France Italy etc etc I really don't think you are really someone who understands what international means.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would of thought that marketing yourself to a world wide market would be preferable to a local market, or perhaps you think AIG pay 20 mill a year to sell insurance in NZ.

As an AIG shareholder, I am seriously worried that my dividends, which haven't been the greatest for some time now, are being frittered away on an overblown marketing budget in a very small marketplace. :(

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
OK, let us Gaggers try to think of a better sponsor name to go with the Wallabies.

How about "Uncle Toby's Wallabies" - has a ring to it:D

Any other suggestions?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As an AIG shareholder, I am seriously worried that my dividends, which haven't been the greatest for some time now, are being frittered away on an overblown marketing budget in a very small marketplace. :(
Hell Hawko, I would be panicing especially if Groucho is on the AIG board, and spending that much money, hell sell your adidas shares to mate, I think they are dropping in twice that amount.:rolleyes:

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Honestly, who really gives a fark? Only a handful of trainspotters.

Rugby is now a professional sport, officially, and openly. Money talks.

I suppose we could always go back to the good old days, when our national team was unpaid, and was only allowed to assemble 48 hours before a Test match.

Or we can look at our watch. Gee, is it the 21st century already?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
How many of us here actually say qantas wallabies when we are talking about the team to our mates around the bar before or after the games. They will always be the wallabies to us. No one gives a fuck really about qantas name.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I've always thought it would be a great marketing idea to have a heavy campaign on not renaming the national side, so the wallabies get a new sponsor who say "no, we're going to be sponsors of the national side and call them just 'the wallabies'" and run a whole campaign on that.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I've always thought it would be a great marketing idea to have a heavy campaign on not renaming the national side, so the wallabies get a new sponsor who say "no, we're going to be sponsors of the national side and call them just 'the wallabies'" and run a whole campaign on that.

Good luck finding a rich, stupid, sponsor.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK, let us Gaggers try to think of a better sponsor name to go with the Wallabies.

How about "Uncle Toby's Wallabies" - has a ring to it:D

Any other suggestions?

I always liked the 'Bundaberg Wallabies'

Or prehaps the 'Akubra Wallabies'

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
For me it depends on how much extra they are paying to get the actual naming rights. If they have to pay a SIGNIFICANT amount more than a major sponsor who doesn't get the same exposure then I'm happy because it'll be going to JONs bonus..... I mean grass roots rugby!

In all seriousness though, depends on what extra the ARU get for always saying the 'Qantas Wallabies". Although somehow I doubt they have the business nous to take advantage of that.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe Quantas did pay extra for the naming rights. But since they got it any future sponsor may expect it to be part of the package from the start.

It's very difficult to turn the clock back on something like that once it's been done once.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
How about Hungry Jacks - The 'HJ Wallabies' which would bring back proud memories of the classic HJ Holden.
Then they could add a new wallabies chicken burger to their late night menu - A slightly undercooked chicken wing in the middle of a bun. Hard to swallow and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
The whole naming thing started well before QANTAS took over sponsorship. I remember hearing the 'fourex Wallabies' at Ballymore as a young tacker, and then the 'Schweppes Wallabies' as an awkward teenager.

As it is, I'm not particularly bothered, but if we really gave a shit, I'm sure we could pool resources and start 'Fuggin Strayan Pty Ltd'

Status
Not open for further replies.