• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Game I

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rugby Rat

Hard ask to rip apart the AB's at eden Park. The first ten flattered us. When they settled it was hard work.

Sorry, I still blame the ref. He was so bias to the home team. When the hard work began he made it a lot easier in all aspects for the home team to dominate. Full credit to the Wallabies, they dug in and fought hard.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Joubert also missed a load of Aus forward passes, it evens out.

I recall at least two NZ forward passes that were also missed, one that preceded their try. So if you are saying it evens out then yes, I agree the forward passes missed might even out, but overall the decisions didn't.

The scrum decisions were incomprehensible.

The advantage call was flat out incorrect, and yet he could have changed his mind if he wanted and given the scrum to the Wallabies.

The AB entry to the ruck was so criminal I thought the rules had changed.

McCaw being allowed to roll out of a ruck on the Australian side, then stand up and pick the ball up was unbelievable - actually I don't think I've ever seen anyone get away with that in an international match.

Paarl, you seem to be as biased as the referee - did you actually see the game?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I think we all share the intense disappointment on this one, but having given it 24hrs and watched it again play by play putting highlights together, here's my 2 cents:
  • While I was shouting at him through the screen live, Burgess actually only made two kick and one pass howler(s). The rest of his game was good as was his passing. Seems to be hysteria about him as usual
  • I was pissed off by Joubert during the game, and having watched closely, I'm now fucken dirty  :angryfire: Pretty much in agreeance with everything Scotty had to say above. The amount of pressure he relieved on the ABs with his questionable decisions was even more than our own fuckups. He had a massive impact on the game unfortunately. G&GR video evidence to come on this one.
  • We lost, in Auckland, by 6 points and totally outplayed the ABs with ball in hand. They had one good movement that made any impact, and it resulted in their only try. We had at least 5 and until the last 30, we took yards out wide at will. Our and Jouberts's brainfarts gave this game to the ABs, they didn't take it. If I was a kiwi I probably would be gloating a lot fucken less and and realise you got let out of jail as Hansen obviously did when he gave his post match interview.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotty said:
Now why in this world would I be biased? You lot only gave the All Blacks now a lot of confidense going in this weekend. Myself learned one golden rule as a player and supporter , critize the ref when you are on the right side of the ledger ortherwise you sound like a whiner.

Refs are human and they all make mistakes and is pretty sure Joubert wont just go out and vok the Aussies.

S

Spook

I thought the Aussie tight 5 (Moore excluded) were just out muscled by the All Blacks. They don't work as a pack at the breakdown. Horwill got some wraps but the bloke never hit any rucks. Sharpe is Sharpe and is a fucking sea gull. Baxter keeps going down like a 2 dollar whore. All Black scrum dominated ours. They were always comfortable on their own ball. Palu was under done and Burgess is a nightmare. Ref didn't lose the match for us.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Scotty said:
Joubert also missed a load of Aus forward passes, it evens out.

I recall at least two NZ forward passes that were also missed, one that preceded their try. So if you are saying it evens out then yes, I agree the forward passes missed might even out, but overall the decisions didn't.

The scrum decisions were incomprehensible.

The advantage call was flat out incorrect, and yet he could have changed his mind if he wanted and given the scrum to the Wallabies.

The AB entry to the ruck was so criminal I thought the rules had changed.

McCaw being allowed to roll out of a ruck on the Australian side, then stand up and pick the ball up was unbelievable - actually I don't think I've ever seen anyone get away with that in an international match.

My thoughts entirely.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Paarl,

I assume in you cricket comment you were referring to Rudi's performance in the Ashes test? It was very inconsistent how he decided to refer a catch that Hauritz made, and the video was inconclusive so they gave it not out, and then decided not to refer a catch that Strauss claimed, and the replays seem to show that it was definately not out. I find it ironic after the Sloe that another South African official was involved in contraversy with an Australian team, and even more ironic that a player with some South African background was the one that claimed the catch in the first place (some might call him a cheat).

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Scotty said:

The penalty had already been called for holding on. If it was play on McCaw would/should have been penalised, but the ref was not entitled to reverse the penalty that already stood because of what McCaw did.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The penalty had already been called for holding on. If it was play on McCaw would/should have been penalised, but the ref was not entitled to reverse the penalty that already stood because of what McCaw did.

You are right, it was definately a penalty against the Wallabies first, however as soon as McCaw did what he did, he should have called in back to that first penalty. Instead he let NZ continue with the advantage until the ball was lost (kicked?) down field, then he called it back for the penalty against the Wallabies. So he obvsiously did not consider McCaws actions an indiscretion. Astounding.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Gagger said:
  • While I was shouting at him through the screen live, Burgess actually only made two kick and one pass howler(s). The rest of his game was good as was his passing. Seems to be hysteria about him as usual

I really don't think it's hysteria. When compared with other test halves his pass is slow and inaccurate. It's just undeniably important that this factor can make or break a team at this level. Additionally his kicking is poor and always has been. The ELVs also helped him as he looked great off the short arm penalty and was a constant threat in these situation but as we know, free kicks are now going to be few and far between.

In contrast Genia has a pass which is as good as or better than Cowan or Du Preez (I think it's one of the best I've seen..), and he can box kick effectively (one of the few Aussie halves who can..). I have always felt that on form he should have been picked ahead of Burgo but because he got injured we will never know.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Joubert just rewarded the side with momentum

So you are saying that the referee ignored the rules so that he could give the team that had the upper hand the favourable decisions.

Or did his actions also create momentum for the ABs?

And did he reward the Wallabies with questionable/favourable decisions when they had the momentum at the start of the game?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Joubert just rewarded the side with momentum

So you are saying that the referee ignored the rules so that he could give the team that had the upper hand the favourable decisions.

Or did his actions also create momentum for the ABs?

And did he reward the Wallabies with questionable/favourable decisions when they had the momentum at the start of the game?

A bit of both, the side going forward, which generally was the ABs, was given the benefit of the doubt.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Scotty said:
Paarl,

I assume in you cricket comment you were referring to Rudi's performance in the Ashes test? It was very inconsistent how he decided to refer a catch that Hauritz made, and the video was inconclusive so they gave it not out, and then decided not to refer a catch that Strauss claimed, and the replays seem to show that it was definately not out. I find it ironic after the Sloe that another South African official was involved in contraversy with an Australian team, and even more ironic that a player with some South African background was the one that claimed the catch in the first place (some might call him a cheat).
Skotman you & Naza have big generalization problems. Well if the ref excuse fit you lots bill, go ahead. I havent watch a single ball bowled in that cricket test, really I feel sorry for you lot. Strauss is as Pom as you'd like but just one question, dont that refferring rule stand in cricket anymore? If you still blame a Saffer to make the wrong one and not blaming your own team for playing shite , help yourself.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PB, where did I make a generalisation? Show me! I just said it was ironic that another South African was involved, and clearly I know Strauss is a pom. I thought you were talking about the cricket with your rather criptic comment:

Your 12 cost you the test. The normal ref , maybe a cricket umpire will satisfied you.

What on earth were you talking about then?

I couldn't care less that Joubert and Koertzen are south african - what I care about is their very average and inconsistent performances. I care about my own teams performance just as much, but it doesn't make me as angry as biased refereeing does. I accept that referees and umpires make mistakes, and the mistakes tend to go both ways, but in these to instances they didn't.

You say we should solely accept that our own team's performance is to blame. IMO opinion both the Wallabies and ABs played pretty average, but pretty evenly, and the 6 point difference could be attributed to the referee.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
PS

You say that we should blame our own teams performance, but don't you find it slightly hypocritical that you are accepting and defending an extremely sub-par performance from the referee seemingly solely due to him being South African?

This would have been a completely different game, and possibly different result of Lawrence was the referee.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hell Skotman now its getting even worse. I qouted any ref is human and can make mistakes, even Lawrense make them also, all I try to say you lot put way to much blame on the ref for a loss and on the losing side it sure make you sound like whiners. Bet you if the Wallabies had won there would be no word on the ref. If I remeber correct the Tah & Wallaby lots had the same problem regarding Kaplan and Watson in the past.

I waqtched that test and thought you are in for one moerse kill on the All Blacks and it all buckled when Barnes made that mistake and it went worse from there. Thats test rugby and if you want to beat the All Blacks, you need to play full out for 80 minutes. 30 or 40 or 60 minutes wont do it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Hell Skotman now its getting even worse. I qouted any ref is human and can make mistakes, even Lawrense make them also, all I try to say you lot put way to much blame on the ref for a loss and on the losing side it sure make you sound like whiners. Bet you if the Wallabies had won there would be no word on the ref. If I remeber correct the Tah & Wallaby lots had the same problem regarding Kaplan and Watson in the past.

I waqtched that test and thought you are in for one moerse kill on the All Blacks and it all buckled when Barnes made that mistake and it went worse from there. Thats test rugby and if you want to beat the All Blacks, you need to play full out for 80 minutes. 30 or 40 or 60 minutes wont do it.
Well on the Kaplan and Watson thing (you brought it up, although I cannot understand the point you are trying to make by bringing it up, and I've tried reading it many times) the Tahs lost about 90% games Kaplan reffed, as opposed to a well over 50% win rate in the same period in general. A bit odd perhaps?
Watson was generally a good ref, but he obviously hated Gregan, and made no secret of this on the field, which for me is very poor from an international ref.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
PaarlBok said:
Scotty said:
Now why in this world would I be biased? You lot only gave the All Blacks now a lot of confidense going in this weekend. Myself learned one golden rule as a player and supporter , critize the ref when you are on the right side of the ledger ortherwise you sound like a whiner.

The one golden rule I learnt as a player was to play hard and fair and accept the referees, and in turn, the judiciaries decision. But each to their own.

The one golden rule as a supporter was to support your team in a way befitting your own character. That means applauding them when they play well and appreciating both their and their opponents efforts. Not blindly backing them no matter what their conduct.

The biggest rule I have learnt from forums such as this is that you may comment on any issue and provided you have good reason your opinion will be respected.

PB - A number of posters have made mention of the ref, and with good reason as many decisions or non decisions were fundamentally incorrect. They are overstepping the mark when they bring in his nationality, but they are allowed to comment/criticise without being referred to as whiners. If our players were making the same comments then you would be right in saying they should shut up and get on with it, however as supporters we are allowed to comment on all facets of the game, win or lose.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Im still waiting for an explanation as to what that cricket umpire comment meant. Maybe we can have a prize for whoever comes up with the best one given PB doesnt seem keen to explain it himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.