• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Actually there is lots to say - why didn't the AB's really put the boot in and play with the same intensity for 80mins especially after the red card? Why did Owen Franks become a penalty magnet? Was the goal line defence really that good? Etc...
I know you are going for the big sarcastic laugh, but in reality the standards the AB's are held to are what gets them where they are sometimes. The pressure to win and win well from within the team and outside it is immense, often it does bring out the best though.

A bit like the Irish test. Your boys had the luxury to take the foot off the pedal and it was much deserved. A lot of talk about Genia not being so good but congrats for being the first to really do a number on him. Call me crazy but I am going to tip the Wallabies nex weekend.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Actually there is lots to say - why didn't the AB's really put the boot in and play with the same intensity for 80mins especially after the red card? Why did Owen Franks become a penalty magnet? Was the goal line defence really that good? Etc...
I know you are going for the big sarcastic laugh, but in reality the standards the AB's are held to are what gets them where they are sometimes. The pressure to win and win well from within the team and outside it is immense, often it does bring out the best though.

No kidding. I was once a member of another forum with a high Kiwi quotient and it always used to stagger me how they could pick ludicrous faults in every All Black performance, even when they totally skinned their opposition. Is this lack of ability to enjoy success a national affliction Scorz?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Take the opportunity to and leave the lot of them in NZ next week and start again.

Pull yourself together....or pull your head in preferably.

These blokes may not be able to match the ABs right now but they are the best we have.
It is not as if they are not putting in the effort or they just don't care. We have a horrendous injury toll on top of our already limited depth

You want to get rid of them all and the coach and start again......with what?

Grow a pair mate and try and be a little constructive rather than the whiny little child you come across as at times.
Thank your lucky starts that you are not Italian or Scottish or Irish.

D

daz

I know you are going for the big sarcastic laugh,.

Actually Scorz, my comment was made towards this forum and some of the knee-jerk post game calls. It just seems many of us are not happy unless we can get ourselves nice and indignant. No offense intended towards the AB supporters.....bro. :)

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
No kidding. I was once a member of another forum with a high Kiwi quotient and it always used to stagger me how they could pick ludicrous faults in every All Black performance, even when they totally skinned their opposition. Is this lack of ability to enjoy success a national affliction Scorz?
Hmmmm nah I wouldn't say we don't enjoy the success, we just want to see the boys play as brilliantly as they can and some get carried away. Everyone's pretty happy right now as far as I know!

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
.... How Mitchell and Franks get yellows and yet Joubert doesn't even warn McCaw for repeat infringements at the breakdown is beyond me.
Take your gold coloured glasses off. McCaw didn't get warned because he didnt get penalised. He took a different role this test. Plenty of tackling but attempted very few turnovers. I noticed McCaw on the bottom of several breakdowns, but in every case his arms were free and / or he was attempting to roll away. Only once did Joubert have to call "Black 7 away"

S

Sydney Wallabies

Very poor performance from the lads on Saturday night.

We all know New Zealand are a good team but the AB's made us look third rate on Saturday night.

Very disappointing all round.

I don't believe sacking Deans is the answer either.

He has proven to be one of the world's best coaches and no one could've fixed the big hole we dug for ourselves on Saturday night.

What angered me most about the loss was the absolutely disgusting and racist comments from fans on the official FB page during the game.

I have never felt so angry about us losing as I was on Saturday with the disgraceful racist behaviour of some individuals on the FB page.

Hopefully we can bounce back and beat the All Blacks in their own backyard this weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Very poor performance from the lads on Saturday night.

We all know New Zealand are a good team but the AB's made us look third rate on Saturday night.

Very disappointing all round.

I don't believe sacking Deans is the answer either.

He has proven to be one of the world's best coaches and no one could've fixed the big hole we dug for ourselves on Saturday night.

What angered me most about the loss was the absolutely disgusting and racist comments from fans on the official FB page during the game.

I have never felt so angry about us losing as I was on Saturday with the disgraceful racist behaviour of some individuals on the FB page.

Hopefully we can bounce back and beat the All Blacks in their own backyard this weekend.

I am starting to doubt that. Sure he had the world's best back in Dan Carter and the world's best forward in Richie McCaw, but does that make Deans one of the world's best coaches? Give those two to the Reds and Eddie Jones a couple of years ago and they'd push for a championship.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Maybe, Scotty.
The charge down - nobody called the offside in real time, it happened so fast, but on replay it was offside. Hard to grumble too much.
The second one - Conrad Smith was all over the player on the ground, and reefed it back on the ground, but interestingly on the other side of the play to the ref. Where was the Arse-Ref? Bad call for me too.
The third - well, I missed that with Thorn, but he hardly pinged anyone for not releasing the tackled player all night, so why start there?
We were more than 10 points worse, mate. Easily.

The Thorn incident was from the previous lineout, where he took the ball up and Pocock tackled him then got up and got his hands back on the ball, but didn't receive the penalty (it looked like Joubert was going to blow one, but decided not to).

We were more that 10 points worse, but partly because of the way the game unfolded. I think our bad period was from the 10 to 30 minute mark (or thereabouts) where the ABs just dominated in their ability to get over the gain line. They recycled so fast that we couldn't set our defensive line and it looked like they could make a break in just about every play. Apart from that period I felt that the game was relatively even if you take into account the Wallabies having 14 men. I'm sure people will laugh at me for saying that.

The ABs dominated the scrum, but we dominated (through Pocock) the turnovers at the breakdown and the ABs were also forced to commit more penalties at the breakdown, which saved them from conceding tries but you could argue should have led to a yellow card.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Daz ....But instead of calling for a national fucking forensic task force to delve into these problems, and taking pages and pages of this forum to debate historical problems and airy, nonsensical and fruitless suppositions on where the ARU went wrong....

I think that kind passage above is directed at me, so I should issue a short response: I don't and won't resile from debating the historical and present role of the ARU in oversighting what objectively can be seen to be one of the least successful, and and most dispiriting, periods in the history of our game, namely 2003-2010. The ARU has had a huge hand in many of today's core problems, and, generally, IMO has badly let down the fans, players, and sponsor of our game in this period. Yes, it has done some good things (e.g., new S15 format and Melbourne Rebels), but it's done way too many poor things, or avoided confronting critical and strategic issues adequately. If we don't speak up here, who will? By analysing the past facts, it's possible we can articulate what a superior future set of actions should look like. (More specifically, if you don't like my posts, I am sorry about that, but there it is, perhaps not all yours are perfect either.)

1) Who will replace Deans and what makes you think that person could do a better job with the same cattle?
2) Who is eligible for Wallaby selection to replace those current players who should be sacked and would they do a better job?

These subjects have I think been addressed quite fully in this and other threads. More particularly, it can be seen that there are (a) credible alternatives as Wallaby coach(es) and (b) there are also credible suggestions around as to which players should be dropped, and/or which ones should be more aggressively promoted and experimented with. And then there's the notorious issue of bench use, and so forth.

Something is wrong in Wallabyland. We all know it. But is there any guarantee things would improve with whole-sale axings less than 18 months out from the RWC? I don't think so.

Indeed there's something wrong. Amongst and alongside others, that's precisely what I have been saying with some passion from my first post here. Of course there's no 'guarantee' that changes would be better, or assured. But there must and does come a time when the risk of change is rational and essential to correct a wayward path that continues to deteriorate, potentially with disastrous consequences. Just as one example, when you study that utterly diabolical, inexcusable (at this level) chain of botched restarts on Saturday, do you not stand back and think that something must be fundamentally wrong with all of the players' mindsets, the coaches' preparations for the game (or the lack thereof), and perhaps some of the players themselves? Is not 7+ straight losses to the ABs and 4 out of the 6 last Tests being medicore spectacles at best by these Wallabies, enough to call for major, systemic change of some kind?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Take your gold coloured glasses off. McCaw didn't get warned because he didnt get penalised. He took a different role this test. Plenty of tackling but attempted very few turnovers. I noticed McCaw on the bottom of several breakdowns, but in every case his arms were free and / or he was attempting to roll away. Only once did Joubert have to call "Black 7 away"

McCaw is the captain, so he would get warned for any repeat infringements at the breakdown, no matter who did them. That is how it works, maybe you should watch a game sometime.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
McCaw is the captain, so he would get warned for any repeat infringements at the breakdown, no matter who did them. That is how it works, maybe you should watch a game sometime.
That of course is obvious, but your post was written with the inference that McCaw was the one infringing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hmmmm nah I wouldn't say we don't enjoy the success, we just want to see the boys play as brilliantly as they can and some get carried away. Everyone's pretty happy right now as far as I know!

Well that is actually good to know. People in NZ should enjoy this team while they are together, because they could go down as one of the great All Black sides. They rank up there with the 1987-90 model as the best I've seen.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That of course is obvious, but your post was written with the inference that McCaw was the one infringing.

Sorry, I didn't write it well, but I meant the entire AB team. See below.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...eal-deans-tactic/story-e6frg7o6-1225899736799

The Wallabies may have taken note of the fact that South African referee Craig Joubert had awarded 83 per cent of his penalties in the Super 14 to the team in possession.

Joubert penalised the All Blacks seven times while the Wallabies were in the attacking zone, but did not send anyone to the bin for slowing the ball until Drew Mitchell was sent off for slapping the ball down to prevent a quick lineout throw.

So, while the Wallabies were accumulating three points at a time, the All Blacks were increasing by seven.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So almost every 10 minutes the ABs were penalised while the Wallabies were deep in attack and yet they didn't even get warned? This isn't consistent refereeing.

R

Rugby Rat

So almost every 10 minutes the ABs were penalised while the Wallabies were deep in attack and yet they didn't even get warned? This isn't consistent refereeing.
True. There should have been a card. Also, the penalty for a dangerous tackle where they couldn't identify the offender. Give me a break !

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
From memory at least 3 of those PKs were for off-side - generally we dont see YC's for that. Of the other 4 they were for not releasing the tackler & entering from the side. Maybe thats the key - make sure your PKs are for a variety of reasons and you dont get the warnings / Ycs

R

Rugby Rat

From memory at least 3 of those PKs were for off-side - generally we dont see YC's for that. Of the other 4 they were for not releasing the tackler & entering from the side. Maybe thats the key - make sure your PKs are for a variety of reasons and you dont get the warnings / Ycs
I agree. LOL. One thing you can rely on is the AB's giving away penalties in their own 22 to save 4 points. At one satge I think they were penalised another twice during a Wallaby advantage.

R

Rugby Rat

A few small points.

Another schoolboy error when we were on the front foot. Not putting the ball in touch. I don't even want to mention the name.

We then lost the next lineout. Moore ?

Brown.. Palmed by a winger ? I know he's our 3rd string 8 yet still...

Status
Not open for further replies.