• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Sat 27th October 4.45pm AEDT, Nissan Stadium, Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I guess with the players in that backline playing minimal time with one another in those positions hopefully suggests Grey has gone for a 'simpler' approach to their defense.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I guess with the players in that backline playing minimal time with one another in those positions hopefully suggests Grey has gone for a 'simpler' approach to their defense.

AND that Bernie has allowed room for self thinking in the pods and playmakers behind them.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gunna be in Auckland for this. Any of you kiwi folk recommend a pub/bar i won't get stabbed in?
There are numerous fine establishments located in the greater Otahuhu/Onehunga area that I would gladly bring to your purview.

th
"Good evening young Derpus, may I enquire as to what your tipple may
be on this fine evening?"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not particularly thrilled by that lineup..............

I'm also beginning to think that if Tom Banks can't get a start this week, with Folau shifting in and Maddocks not playing, then he's got no chance under Cheika.

Especially as he's brought in......... Naivalu? Did I read that correctly?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Two strike wingers is a strange one. Well, three if you include Folau.

Cant see anything other than an All Black thumping.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The problem was not having a genuine 13 (Kerevi aside). SO the first piece of the jigsaw was to fill that hole, which was Folau. His defence isn't great there so I'm expecting that we'll see Naivalu defend there and Folau there in attack. I don't think Banks could fill that role, nor Maddocks. Not suggesting Naivalu will be brilliant at it but I can understand the selection. Kerevi will come on when the legs are a bit tired, hopefully we can hold them out, or match them, until then.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Simmons and Hanigan starting together again. the bash brothers. sorry, the bashed brothers.

Looks like they are trying to sure up the lineout, which has been pants and needed to be sorted. Tirinui highlighted the stats that more tries come from lineouts than anywhere else

But we lose running metres

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Correct me if I’m wrong but has Niavalu not played significantly more at 13 and performed better there? Folau is also probably the better roaming winger/fullback? Back 5 in the pack don’t have much impact. Could be in for another long night. I would have been tempted to start Dempsey/Kerevi and run them till they are cooked then bring on the fitter players to see out the match. Also not sure what Banks needs to do to get a start. perfect game for it really, no silverware on the line, much less pressure.

Has Naivalu actually had any game time for the Rebels this year? Seems to spend his whole time when not injured on the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The problem was not having a genuine 13 (Kerevi aside). SO the first piece of the jigsaw was to fill that hole, which was Folau. His defence isn't great there so I'm expecting that we'll see Naivalu defend there and Folau there in attack. I don't think Banks could fill that role, nor Maddocks. Not suggesting Naivalu will be brilliant at it but I can understand the selection. Kerevi will come on when the legs are a bit tired, hopefully we can hold them out, or match them, until then.

Was it last year's EOYT or the year before, when Speight and Naivalu were swapping the wing spot and both were defending at 13 in the games they played? Neither was up to the mark, and it led to quite a few critical comments about the players in the threads at the time. I think it was before most of us had been educated in the woeful defensive patterns and systems that Grey was introducing.

So, I don't see the 13 spot being covered at all well again tomorrow no matter who defends there.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looks like they are trying to sure up the lineout, which has been pants and needed to be sorted. Tirinui highlighted the stats that more tries come from lineouts than anywhere else

But we lose running metres

Rory Arnold and Matt Philip both offer a running game and a good lineout option, and we've seen both call the lineout for their team.

I'm really happy with how Hanigan has developed this year and think he should be our 6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes.

Or Petaia.

The last time Kerevi was picked to start against the All Blacks after a long injury layoff it was an absolute disaster and he got dragged at half time.

I would have been tempted to fly Petaia over and slot him straight in. It would have been a huge ask for a young player on debut though. I think he should play 13 on the EOYT but it would be with a far better preparation than he would have got for this week.

Petaia would have got 2 training sessions plus the captain's run to prepare.

I think Folau is the right choice for this week. He has effectively been the backup 13 in the matchday squad throughout the Rugby Championship (although wasn't needed to switch there much at all).

Status
Not open for further replies.