• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Saturday 26th August at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No-one here supports the hate mail. Its just sad that it ever gets to something like that. A line has definitely been crossed by some idiots.
Cheika and the ARU are far from being above criticism though. They are paid and paid well to do a job and the fans and general support is why they have these jobs in the first place.
When the supporters stop complaining about poor performances then the ARU should be very worried.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
TSR, I never accused you of being a Cheika apologist. Before getting sanctimonious with me, check out the mental health thread and you will know exactly where I come from on matters of mental health. He isn't the first Wallaby coach to have a blow torch applied to him.

Link before him had his personal life dragged right through the fucking mud if I remember right. One of the biggest Cnuts in that episode is wearing the Wallaby 12 jersey.

Deans had the blow torch applied to him quite savagely during his tenure remember.

I work in politics and see every day the level of shit that gets thrown at them everyday and the pressure that they come under as a result of constant personal attack.

Attack is a bit extreme on my part and I apologize for that language but he should be very heavily scrutinized for his performance in the role.
Fair enough - my apologies for taking it the wrong way. I did think some of the posts here were a bit dismissive of Cheika's complaint. I didnt mean to be sanctimonious or to present myself as holding any moral high ground.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
For all the public criticism Cheika has copped such as forums as this and elsewhere; it does not compare to true "hate mail".

We also know Cheika though and he likes to play the game a bit.

Heyneke said at the time that the worst for him was that himself and his family had to cop heavy criticism (admittedly from a way more demanding rugby public) and Jake White used to say similar things. Their children were / are at school.

At the end of the day I hope that Cheika and his family are okay and that he realises he is not hated as a human being. People may just disagree with what he considers [ a / the ] master plan. He may yet end up surprising everyone let us not forget that either.

He inherited at a time when playing stocks are not what they could be so his job is significantly harder. He should never be judged because it is not our job to do so, but we should take careful consideration in how we perceive success; for not all success is equal.

Robbie Deans for me was successful for Australia - he nigh never lost a game against South Africa (if ever?). His staple was different too though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
That's a massive blow for the Wallabies. We're going to need Arnold and Simmons to play out of their skins to make up for the loss of our best forward.

A massive loss. Coleman close to our best player most games. How Simmons got in over Carter is also a bit of a mystery - although they are quite similar players anyway and neither are close to Coleman's level.

I wish Arnold could up his workrate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A massive loss. Coleman close to our best player most games. How Simmons got in over Carter is also a bit of a mystery - although they are quite similar players anyway and neither are close to Coleman's level.

I wish Arnold could up his workrate.

I think Carter failed to do enough in the June series which is why he isn't there now.

Remember that this squad is only for the two Bledisloes.

If Simmons doesn't fire and/or Cheika has decided Douglas isn't up to it anymore, I expect Carter will come back into the squad (and hopefully Tui as well if he is now healthy).

S

sidelineview

If the ABs coaching staff was in charge of the Wallabies would they perform any better? Maybe, probably, but how much better?
If the Wallabies coaching staff was in charge of the ABs would they still win?
the Kiwi players would still be hardened and well prepared. Those players would have gone through the NZ rugby system and pathways, been well coached and ready to play International rugby.

and while the Oz coaches and players cop it, where are the rugby powers to be hiding? the architects of the accumulative fuck up.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
95 times out of 100 a debutante, especially in the tight 5, has a blinder, I kind of wish Rodda was starting. Cheika's big issue is going to be to work out which of Arnold and Simmons to pull. If he's still pondering on a choice between Timani & Dempsey this should seal the deal for Timani to get the bench spot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
95 times out of 100 a debutante, especially in the tight 5, has a blinder, I kind of wish Rodda was starting. Cheika's big issue is going to be to work out which of Arnold and Simmons to pull. If he's still pondering on a choice between Timani & Dempsey this should seal the deal for Timani to get the bench spot.

That sounds like science!

Arnold will be pulled at 50 unless Simmons has a nightmare.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If the ABs coaching staff was in charge of the Wallabies would they perform any better? Maybe, probably, but how much better?
If the Wallabies coaching staff was in charge of the ABs would they still win?
the Kiwi players would still be hardened and well prepared. Those players would have gone through the NZ rugby system and pathways, been well coached and ready to play International rugby.

and while the Oz coaches and players cop it, where are the rugby powers to be hiding? the architects of the accumulative fuck up.

If the ABs coaching staff was in charge of the Wallabies would they perform any better? Yes. For a start their selections wouldn't include 3 players who can't defend in the line in one team.
Probably, but how much better? Anyone's guess. Probably not good enough to beat the All Blacks still but probably better then they are currently playing.

If the Wallabies coaching staff was in charge of the ABs would they still win? This is a tough one, their depth is just sooooo good. But coaches add so much value and a poor coach goes a long way in deteriorating good players form. My guess is they'll still win but not as much. Probably would have lost the B&L tour if the wallabies set-up were coaching.

They would most likely lose to England too given Eddy Jones can run rings around Cheika and his coaching team tactically.

Those players would have gone through the NZ rugby system and pathways, been well coached and ready to play International rugby. Yeah, bloody kiwi's, we are realistically decades away from being consistently competitive again.

Hypotheticals are fun.

S

sidelineview

Its a reality. And probably not win is right. Make that definitely not.
And who would you replace those 3 players with and what are their attributes in attack?
We may not be decades away but unless the systems change significantly from the grassroots level and similarly in line with the Kiwis it will be a long wait.
You forgot to say where the rugby power mongerers and decision makers will be hiding?
The positive for me is that i get to watch a really good rugby team play albiet against weaker opposition.
They're not unbeatable but are a pleasure to watch.
And then ponder how NZ rugby got it so right and how Oz rugby ended up in this dismal place.
I dont have all the answers but the general consensus is to cut off the head of the snake and start again

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I don't necessarily disagree with you Seb V, but it certainly makes the whole selection job easier when your best attacking backs can also tackle!

I am not agreeing with the selections ( in fact, I would have Fardy, Carter and Cowan all in the 23, and a solid defender like Meakes or Hodge at 12 & Beale at 15) but I sort of get the gamble Cheika took in Bled 1, which was just throw his best possible attackers onto the paddock (Beale, Kerevi, Speight, Rona Folau) and have a punt. Gambling, by definition, has a high chance of losing, and that was a gamble that certainly lost. And while so many on here disagreed (me included) he would have looked like a genius if it had come off.

Anyway, massive loss with Coleman gone, my MOTM in Bled 1, it's down to Simmons & Arnold to step up. I'm doubtful!

Status
Not open for further replies.