• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Saturday 26th August at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
In terms of any kind of actual progress: my concern with all of that is that the points we scored were an outlier when it comes to the Bledisloe, but the points we allowed really aren't. So if that match was our one win in every six (or whatever its become) , but we didn't actually win, is there that much to be positive about?

It was certainly the most enjoyable match to watch that we've been in for some time.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It was certainly the most enjoyable match to watch that we've been in for some time.

That's not nothing though. Ultimately the whole reason we do all of this is to be entertained. Losing sucks, but the fact we played an epic, skilful match that will be talked about for years to come is a bloody good thing, which we should celebrate.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That's not nothing though. Ultimately the whole reason we do all of this is to be entertained. Losing sucks, but the fact we played an epic, skilful match that will be talked about for years to come is a bloody good thing, which we should celebrate.

I had an absolute ball (despite the post-game come down), and I had a massive grin on my face when all I read on Reddit in the aftermath of the game was Europeans and Kiwi's saying things like:

"The Wallabies are back! What a performance"

"Best test match since 2003"

etc.

You should've seen the look on my Mum's face at certain stages throughout the game as she poked her head out of her bedroom to see my Dad, brother and I running around the living room screaming our heads off.

I think she thought there had been a home invasion, a heart attack or that NK had finally launched an attack on the US.

Fantastic stuff.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hope this gives the team confidence and we have "turned the corner" or "bottomed out" and are now ready to build towards 2019. If so I will be the first to apologize to Cheika and his crew.
Certainly the ticker shown was like a breath of fresh air.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the real positive thing is the try scoring that they have shown in the last two weeks

9 tries vs the ABs in two games? Who would have thought that was possible at the start of the season?

T

TOCC

Can't blame the back row for Alalaatoa's poor setup. Can't blame the second row either - providing the power is pointless if it can't be directed.

Not just blaming the backrow, making the point that scrummaging is complex and you can't just blame AA when it's an 8 person effort. Last week the scrum went well, it's funny that the biggest change was the in the second row but the props are the ones at fault.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
In terms of any kind of actual progress: my concern with all of that is that the points we scored were an outlier when it comes to the Bledisloe, but the points we allowed really aren't. So if that match was our one win in every six (or whatever its become) , but we didn't actually win, is there that much to be positive about?

I think it just comes down to the obvious, we have a very effective attacking side but the compromise of that is that we suffer in defence. The latter is where we need to do a LOT of work, both in terms of coaching and personnel. If you look at the All Blacks players, they are very well rounded players e.g. Crotty who is close to world class in both attack and defence. The problem we have is that most of ours are brilliant in one of those two aspects and only average in the other. So we have to try and strike up a balance.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Not just blaming the backrow, making the point that scrummaging is complex and you can't just blame AA when it's an 8 person effort. Last week the scrum went well, it's funny that the biggest change was the in the second row but the props are the ones at fault.

SIMMONS usually a good scrummager.

T

TOCC

I think the real positive thing is the try scoring that they have shown in the last two weeks

9 tries vs the ABs in two games? Who would have thought that was possible at the start of the season?

That's cool and a big improvement, but defence has been the issue.
You won't beat the All Blacks by letting them score more then 30 points, in the past 25 years, any time the All Blacks have scored more then 30 the ABs have won. Wallabies need to tighten that up.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think it just comes down to the obvious, we have a very effective attacking side but the compromise of that is that we suffer in defence. The latter is where we need to do a LOT of work, both in terms of coaching and personnel. If you look at the All Blacks players, they are very well rounded players e.g. Crotty who is close to world class in both attack and defence. The problem we have is that most of ours are brilliant in one of those two aspects and only average in the other. So we have to try and strike up a balance.

Crotty is not world class in attack. Just sayin'. He's a medium paced, fairly consistent, injury prone, ultra-reliable defender in the 13 channel. There's nothing between him and TK. I'd even say TK shades him.

The Kiwi's are bloody good but this side is hardly the greatest they've ever fielded. Barrett has his limitations. SBW has been down-right terrible. McKenzie isn't ready for test rugby. In my view its 4,5,6,7,8 where they are still the worlds best and the basis for most of their recent success.

Edit: call me crazy but i daresay they are suffering from overseas attrition. Surely you'd have Bogan at 15 and Cruden at 10 if he wasn't jumping ship.

T

TOCC

Crotty is the defensive lynchpin of the All Blacks backline, don't underestimate that. He doesn't need to be an extraordinary attacking player because others in the backline possess those attributes.

He went off at halftime in Bledisloe 1, and that's when the Wallabies scored their points, and he was shaken with a head knock in Bledisloe 2 and was taken from the field, I'm amazed he was allowed to return but he did just before half time.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Crotty is the defensive lynchpin of the All Blacks backline, don't underestimate that. He doesn't need to be an extraordinary attacking player because others in the backline possess those attributes.

He went off at halftime in Bledisloe 1, and that's when the Wallabies scored their points, and he was shaken with a head knock in Bledisloe 2 and was taken from the field, I'm amazed he was allowed to return but he did just before half time.
Doubt that had much to do with our tries in B2. Most of them were 'up the guts'. Hoopers, Foleys, Genias...

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

So is the answer some different people or better coaching on defence?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would not break up the Beale-TK mid field. They defended well and will get better in that respect with more time together.
Beale at 12 can release Folau, bring out the best in TK and also takes a lot of pressure off Foley as 1st receiver.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would not break up the Beale-TK mid field. They defended well and will get better in that respect with more time together.
Beale at 12 can release Folau, bring out the best in TK and also takes a lot of pressure off Foley as 1st receiver.

it provide good balance and real threat

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)

So what's the plan? Score 40 points in every test?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Hopefully not bringing too much hate down on me.
I think our biggest problem is still good leadership. Chek bitching about refs after the game doesn't help.
Still not convinced with Hoops but he did the best job he has done so far with the ref, calm and didn't keep pressing his point.
I think Coleman will be good keeping the forwards working.
I think we need to find some more leaders within the group, Hunt maybe, to keep the team focused and not distracted by Chek.
The other big change we need is a selection panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.