• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Saturday 26th August at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I do like the narrative that Dave Wessels is now a master coach after a 6-9 season.

Seems to work for Bernie. And where would Cheika be right now?

EDIT: So far in 2017 NZ L; Italy W; Scotland L; Fiji W. Let's see where this ends up at the end of the RWC.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems to work for Bernie. And where would Cheika be right now?

EDIT: So far in 2017 NZ L; Italy W; Scotland L; Fiji W. Let's see where this ends up at the end of the RWC.

Who is claiming that Larkham is a master coach?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Basically there are no master coaches in Aus right now?

Clearly not.

Part of the issue is that there aren't any obvious options to replace Cheika. That said i don't think the ARU are close to moving on him unless things go downhill substantially from here.

If we don't win at least 2 games in the Rugby Championship I think pressure will really start to mount.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Cheika's successful teams at domestic level have historically been quasi-national teams.

Leinster & the Waratahs are case and point.

These two teams have had, and still have massive salary advantages compared to their compatriots via National Union top ups, and a XV with at least 80% who are capped on the international arena.

This is why people say he's a good man-motivator and not a good coach.

The last three years of flip-flop tactics, selections and post match conference deans-speak proves he isn't the messiah, and he's not even a great coach.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It is curious that Bernie hasn't taken his rugby prowess and translated it into coaching prowess, even if he isn't terrible.

I wonder if the game has just moved on. The focus is now on offloads and rush defense. When he played they were smaller, had more time and more space to play with the ball.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Clearly not.

Part of the issue is that there aren't any obvious options to replace Cheika. That said i don't think the ARU are close to moving on him unless things go downhill substantially from here.

If we don't win at least 2 games in the Rugby Championship I think pressure will really start to mount.

Yes, I'll give you that. IMO we should have been making quiet enquiries at the end of 2016, and again after the mid year series, so there are currently no options due to piss poor planning, as opposed to there are not actually better options somewhere.

But, yes, with no options we must live it through. And this Cheika strategy may simply have been implemented poorly - too much at once. That is a different issue to it being a wrong strategy. Personally I think it is wrong but you just don't know. He needs to improve it during the RC. I won't measure improvement in a W/L ratio but by how the team is going on the field.

If no, the enquiries that should be underway should take effect prior to the Europe tour. If yes he get's a further reprieve for Europe. If that works he keeps the RWC. If not implement enquiry results.

In the mean-time he deserves the criticism he is getting and has plenty to prove.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Clearly not.

Australian options anyway. If we were determined and willing to outsource, there are a lot of foreign options available in Europe, NZ... hell we could probably even find an upgrade in South Africa.

Reactions: dru

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
With the team selected for this weekend and the statements from all three coaches (which very strangely mirror and even use some of the words seen when Deans was the coach) regarding the defensive structure and underperformance questions I have no choice but to predict a 35+ margin this weekend for the All Blacks.

Use it as motivation if you want boys, but it would a totally blind supporter to say you have any chance whatsoever.

I thought the craziness of Deans selections and game "plans" were the nadir of the Wallabies, I am sad to see that the incompetence at managerial levels in Australian Rugby is mirrors all the way to the so called "elite" coaching and playing ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.